BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding BMW Advanced Eye 2 - Dash cam now available in the UK

12-07-2018, 06:09 AM   #23
mijoed
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 40e MSport

Does anyone know why this Advance car eye 2.0 cannot be installed with a climate comfort windscreen option already in the car. BMW parts advisors just say it is prohibited.
To my knowedge, the screen has no electrical elements and I can only assume it is to do with adhering something to the glass, possibly affecting a laminate or coating?
If that is the case then no web cam could be used

Last edited by mijoed; 12-07-2018 at 09:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 10:19 AM   #24
mijoed
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijoed View Post
Does anyone know why this Advance car eye 2.0 cannot be installed with a climate comfort windscreen option already in the car. BMW parts advisors just say it is prohibited.
To my knowedge, the screen has no electrical elements and I can only assume it is to do with adhering something to the glass, possibly affecting a laminate or coating?
Amazingly quick response from BMW.
Apparently the issue is that the camera will not function in park mode when the climate comfort screen option is installed in the car. However, it is supposed to function normally in driving mode.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 08:46 AM   #25
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Amazingly quick response from BMW.
Apparently the issue is that the camera will not function in park mode when the climate comfort screen option is installed in the car. However, it is supposed to function normally in driving mode.
Sounds like a load of BS. Any decent dash cam will just monitor and work of a "always on" and "ignition on" fuse, so it knows when to switch modes.

BMW needs to stick to making cars.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 04:31 PM   #26
BudgieUK
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d M-Sport Touring

The spec. claims that in parking mode, the camera uses radar to detect movement nearby.
I wonder if the other windscreen treatment interferes with the parking mode radar function?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 09:50 AM   #27
BudgieUK
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

The iPhone ACE app (used for managing the dash cam settings, viewing footage etc) had a significant upgrade today.
It's now much better then it was, and seems to connect to the camera more reliably. A real benefit is that you can now rotate the iPhone to landscape mode to make the video much larger on the screen.
On first connection to the dash cam, it asked to upgrade the dash cam firmware. You have to leave the ignition on, and it will complete the upgrade in about 5 minutes.
I haven't been able to notice any difference yet, but it's good to see that the app is being updated.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 02:31 AM   #28
Symo
Where is the Earth Shattering Ka Boom?
Australia
Rep
Drives: E30 540i Mediterranean Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgieUK View Post
The iPhone ACE app (used for managing the dash cam settings, viewing footage etc) had a significant upgrade today.
It's now much better then it was, and seems to connect to the camera more reliably. A real benefit is that you can now rotate the iPhone to landscape mode to make the video much larger on the screen.
On first connection to the dash cam, it asked to upgrade the dash cam firmware. You have to leave the ignition on, and it will complete the upgrade in about 5 minutes.
I haven't been able to notice any difference yet, but it's good to see that the app is being updated.
I wonder why BMW don't simply build a dash cam into the car when it's made. The car has cameras all over the place it uses for its own purposes, it has a HDD storage and USB ( to download and archive video) and well as well as other telemetry ( speed, throttle position, whether indicators are on etc). All it would need is for them to write the code.

I know not all cars have all of the stuff, so if your car doesn't have nav, that info would not be available. But it's not s big ask for BMW to do this and make it available to the driver. The car had a black box recorder in it that can be accessed by the police in the event of a car crash now. Just add that to what the user can access
Appreciate 2
clee1982796.00
      12-23-2018, 04:05 PM   #29
Loans1308
Rep
Drives: 2023 X1 sDrive 2.0i

BudgieUK, not sure if you heard of this but after the upgrade on the iPhone ACE 2 app which happend todayttoday the camera does not switch on anymore. I now get the power light coming and then 3 beeps, 3 times in quick succession and then the camera switches off. Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 03:43 PM   #30
BudgieUK
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loans1308 View Post
BudgieUK, not sure if you heard of this but after the upgrade on the iPhone ACE 2 app which happend todayttoday the camera does not switch on anymore. I now get the power light coming and then 3 beeps, 3 times in quick succession and then the camera switches off. Any ideas?
Sorry no, I did the upgrade and it has worked fine since.
The app on the phone is greatly improved, but I haven't been able to detect any change (for better or worse) with the camera itself.
Sorry I can't be more help!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 04:45 PM   #31
Loans1308
Rep
Drives: 2023 X1 sDrive 2.0i

BudgieUK, thanks for replay. Put it back in the BMW garage today and they said that when they checked it they found a broken wire. Not really convinced but they said they fixed it but surprise , surprise when I got the car back today it is even worse. Now the camera does not switch on and I do not get the message “Recording” anymore. When I took the SD card out it only has data in the Parking folder. There is nothing in Driving folder so I am back at the garage tomorrow and if they cannot fix it after 30 minutes I am going to instruct them to take the whole thing out and give me a refund. Also now when I drive I get three beeps every few minutes. Not sure what the heck is going on. Will let everybody know.
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2018, 03:38 PM   #32
BudgieUK
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
BudgieUK, thanks for replay. Put it back in the BMW garage today and they said that when they checked it they found a broken wire. Not really convinced but they said they fixed it but surprise , surprise when I got the car back today it is even worse. Now the camera does not switch on and I do not get the message "Recording" anymore. When I took the SD card out it only has data in the Parking folder. There is nothing in Driving folder so I am back at the garage tomorrow and if they cannot fix it after 30 minutes I am going to instruct them to take the whole thing out and give me a refund. Also now when I drive I get three beeps every few minutes. Not sure what the heck is going on. Will let everybody know.
You may want to try contacting the support email address?
They are not quick at responding, but may be worth a go ...

I sent an email to support@ace20.de, and got a reply from ace20-support@bmwgroup.com
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2019, 11:01 AM   #33
BudgieUK
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
BudgieUK, thanks for replay. Put it back in the BMW garage today and they said that when they checked it they found a broken wire. Not really convinced but they said they fixed it but surprise , surprise when I got the car back today it is even worse. Now the camera does not switch on and I do not get the message "Recording" anymore. When I took the SD card out it only has data in the Parking folder. There is nothing in Driving folder so I am back at the garage tomorrow and if they cannot fix it after 30 minutes I am going to instruct them to take the whole thing out and give me a refund. Also now when I drive I get three beeps every few minutes. Not sure what the heck is going on. Will let everybody know.
Have you seen the latest app update?
It seems the firmware update has caused a few problems, and they have posted a possible solution
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      02-20-2019, 02:20 PM   #34
Gary pa28
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
It seems the firmware update has caused a few problems, and they have posted a possible solution

Hi sorry to jump in on this but a google search found this post , I’ve just had these fitted to my new X3

How are you getting on with it

Thanks
      02-28-2019, 02:22 PM   #35
BudgieUK
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary pa28 View Post
Quote:

Hi sorry to jump in on this but a google search found this post , I’ve just had these fitted to my new X3

How are you getting on with it

Thanks
It's been working well for me. The app keeps getting updates (another update yesterday that also updates the dashcam firmware).
The video quality is probably not the absolute best, but it's been completely reliable so far.
I have previously used cheaper cameras, and with these you cannot rely on them actually recording all the time, so run the risk that the only time you need the footage, you can find the camera has not been recording. At least with this dashcam, it seems that you can rely on the fact that it will actually be recording.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 11:07 AM   #36
mijoed
United Kingdom
Rep

Got a reply back from support about ACE 2.0 and climate comfort windscreen. It would also explain why my remote garage opener doesnt work when the car is front on to the garage.

Thank you for your interest in the Advanced Car Eye 2.0 and for contacting us.

I'am sorry for the delayed reply but I had to verify the appearing issues.

The problem with the climate comfort windscreen is that the radar sensor will not work proper, because the coating interferes the radar signal. Under some circumstances also the GPS will be influenced negative.
The ACE system will work normal with active G-Sensor, in parking mode too.
But in this case we can't give any warranty for appearing limitations during usage.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 01:23 PM   #37
Roberto-Carlo
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 120 ah BEV

Has anyone yet found a suitable viewing software for a PC that enables you to see either the front or rear camera recordings?

Also managed eventually to view just the front front recording using the VLC Media Player. Must say I would expect BMW to produce a suitable viewer similar to my old BlackVue system?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 08:41 AM   #38
Roberto-Carlo
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 120 ah BEV

Quote:
All dash cams break up a recording file .. usually the segments are between 1 and 3 minutes. If you want to download a range of files from the camera to your iPhone, you can select a number of files and then start the download (but it's very slow).

The thing that I have still to work out is how to get files that are now on my phone, onto my laptop. I have yet to find a way to do that, so I have asked the helpline for advice. Once I hear back, I'll update this post.
Hi Budgie, I have recently purchased a new BMW i3 and had this dreaded dash cam fitted. Did you ever find out how to get the saved files on your smart phone onto a PC? Is it possible to e-mail them across? I can see nothing to allow sharing.

Also, if you view the files straight from the SD Card in the PC you can only see the front camera? How on earth do you get to see what's on the rear camera? I am using the VLC Player but they also view on the Microsoft Player as well but again only the front view?

One might have thought that BMW would have provided a proper viewing software considering the price of the camera? I had a BlackVue on my previous car and it was a 100 times easier to use and view.

Anyway, any updates you can share? Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 03:42 AM   #39
maomig
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 225xe

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmcbride@ntlworld.co View Post
Has anyone yet found a suitable viewing software for a PC that enables you to see either the front or rear camera recordings?

Also managed eventually to view just the front front recording using the VLC Media Player. Must say I would expect BMW to produce a suitable viewer similar to my old BlackVue system?
I contacted the manufacturer (NORITEL) about it and they say that shortly a view PC (Mac?) app will be released capable also of displaying the position of the car while the video is running (similar to the one provided with other brands). It has to be said that the Advanced Camera Eye version 1 had this viewer that eventually is not compatible with the second version of the hardware.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 01:38 PM   #40
Nikki!!
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2106 BMW 435i XDrive MSport

Hi,

I can’t get the app to work. I’ve tried with both an iPhone and with a Samsung device. I just can’t see or connect to the default Wi-Fi network. Anyone have any ideas?

Also, can someone tell me what files I should have on my SIM card? Should I have a ACN.bin file? I do and I wonder if that might be the issue.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0