BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Engine off/door open/radio still on

02-18-2019, 11:50 PM   #45
technicks
Rep
Drives: 2019 530e xDrive iPerformance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash7172 View Post
Thanks for posting this. I wish you could set it so that pushing OFF actually turned everything off. The behavior seemed unpredictable to me which makes it even more annoying. Now, if I could only figure out why sometimes the headlights stay on indefinitely when I get out...
My i3 does this, you park, take seatbelt off, open door, press ON/OFF and everything shuts off as long as the door is open when you press ON/OFF.
Wish i could port behavior to my 530e
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 05:49 PM   #46
CT540xi
Rep
Drives: 540xi

So if you power car off and power reset the radio, it will stay on with XM, when the door closes. Unfortunately, Pandora still shuts off when you close the door.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 10:59 AM   #47
Libtech75
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 550xi, 2017 Audi Q7

was wondering the exact thing thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 07:10 PM   #48
Dobie Dog
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 F97 X3M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
I can't believe this thread is still going (again).
Mystery solved!....Drive car, stop car, get out, shut door, lock door, walk away
      03-05-2019, 07:21 PM   #49
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobie Dog View Post
Quote:
I can't believe this thread is still going (again).
Mystery solved!....Drive car, stop car, get out, shut door, lock door, walk away
That's been said several times already – by me. 😂
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50
      03-08-2019, 09:47 PM   #50
Krash7172
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e, 2020 X4

Everyone agrees that is how it is supposed to work. Tonight, I turned off my 530e, got out, plugged it in, locked it and the radio came back on. Many owner's cars are glitchy.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 10:21 PM   #51
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash7172 View Post
Everyone agrees that is how it is supposed to work. Tonight, I turned off my 530e, got out, plugged it in, locked it and the radio came back on. Many owner's cars are glitchy.
#TheThreadThatWillNeverDie
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50
      04-04-2019, 02:49 PM   #52
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3C

Quote:
#TheThreadThatWillNeverDie
Reviving it.

I just do not understand. I have tried to do the following: 1. put in park, 2. undo seat belt, 3. turn off car.

I have also tried to: 1. undo seat belt, 2. put in park, 3. turn off car.

I get mixed results on whether the radio/dash stays on.

I should not have to lock the car for everything to turn off. If I don't want to lock my car in my garage, I shouldn't have to. Seems like a pretty stupid "feature."

I've never owned another car that I couldn't figure out how to properly shut off every time I got out of it.

I just don't understand what the purpose of this is or how to "comply" with turning it off.
      04-04-2019, 02:51 PM   #53
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
press and hold the radio button after you shut off engine (make sure you don't step on the break when shut off engine), though I still prefer just press the button and lock everything...
Appreciate 1
gooselee162.00
      04-04-2019, 02:59 PM   #54
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post
press and hold the radio button after you shut off engine (make sure you don't step on the break when shut off engine), though I still prefer just press the button and lock everything...
But whyyyyyy? Just turn off!!!
      04-04-2019, 04:00 PM   #55
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightedBMW View Post
I keep my 530e in my garage. I often have to go into the car to retrieve something or to place something. When I do so in the front (only applies to opening the front door) the dash and Idrive goes on. Like the other poster, I don't want to lock my car in the garage (I generally don't keep the car fob on me when I am in the house).

so...I after opening the front passenger door, and doing my thing, I just lean in and press the radio button and everything turns off.

So simply turning off the engine and getting out of the driver door doesn't create a problem. But coming back is when the issue occurs.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 04:56 PM   #56
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightedBMW View Post

most american have their own garage, but I guess a lot of the rest of the world is street parking or park in central garage, kind makes sense if you ask me
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2019, 07:44 PM   #57
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post
most american have their own garage, but I guess a lot of the rest of the world is street parking or park in central garage, kind makes sense if you ask me
It makes zero sense whatsoever. This is not a feature. No other vehicle I’ve ever owned, driven, been a passenger in, etc does this. Regardless of whether people have attached garages, this is just flat out stupid.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 08:49 PM   #58
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
well guess to each of our own, my garage is 8 minutes walking from where I live, so a semi reminder to remind me to lock the car I suppose.
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2019, 07:04 AM   #59
dlf750
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i M Package

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentMax View Post
And it also changes if your co-driver is still sitting on his seat. It will stay on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny185 View Post
Not exactly true for US BMW's. I always unbuckle my seat belt while pulling into my garage, but if you wait 1-2 seconds after pressing the start/stop BEFORE you open the door, it will work as prescribe and everything shuts down properly. Always been that way through many generations of series 5. If by chance someone is still setting in the passenger seat, then all bets are off and the system stays on for about 8 minutes or so.
Exactly. I too take off my belt pulling into the garage. shut off the engine, wait a sec or two and all goes off.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 07:53 AM   #60
gooselee
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

I don't understand why people are so worked up about this.

Even if you don't want to figure out what secret combination of steps will make the car turn off on door open, there are two methods that work 100% of the time:
1. Lock the car
2. Press the radio power button
Once the Genius told me those two things, I never saw a need to try to understand anything further.

I mostly just lock the car now even in the garage. Keeps the mirrors tucked away (it's parked next to Mrs. Lee's daily driver) and I literally have to walk through our mud room/key rack to get to the garage. If I forget, the key is 10 feet away. Plus, we've found that the fob-profile match works flawlessly when the car is locked, since it knows to link to the profile of whoever touches the driver door and not just who is in the car first.

On occasion if I want to leave it unlocked for some reason, I just pull in, park, and open the door. I honestly could not tell you what order I undo my seatbelt, release the brake, push the engine button, etc. Just...whatever. If the radio and stuff is still on (which is rare for me - so I guess whatever comes naturally to me is what BMW designed for), I hit the power button for a couple seconds and carry on with my day.

It took me about 20x longer to write this post than the cumulative amount of time I've spent thinking about this before today.
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50
      04-05-2019, 08:41 AM   #61
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooselee View Post

Even if you don't want to figure out what secret combination of steps will make the car turn off on door open, there are two methods that work 100% of the time:
1. Lock the car
2. Press the radio power button
Once the Genius told me those two things, I never saw a need to try to understand anything further.

I mostly just lock the car now even in the garage. Keeps the mirrors tucked away (it's parked next to Mrs. Lee's daily driver) and I literally have to walk through our mud room/key rack to get to the garage. If I forget, the key is 10 feet away. Plus, we've found that the fob-profile match works flawlessly when the car is locked, since it knows to link to the profile of whoever touches the driver door and not just who is in the car first.

On occasion if I want to leave it unlocked for some reason, I just pull in, park, and open the door. I honestly could not tell you what order I undo my seatbelt, release the brake, push the engine button, etc. Just...whatever. If the radio and stuff is still on (which is rare for me - so I guess whatever comes naturally to me is what BMW designed for), I hit the power button for a couple seconds and carry on with my day.

It took me about 20x longer to write this post than the cumulative amount of time I've spent thinking about this before today.
Exactly!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 10:50 AM   #62
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooselee View Post

….

Same here.

There is always the Owner's Manual for those who want to quickly understand and try all the ways to shut down the car. Is a whole page given to the various states, (Idle, Standby, Drive-Ready) and how to achieve, including driver preferred 'Idle' setting in iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 10:38 AM   #63
Warp Ten
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540xi

I just had a chance to read through this thread again and I conclude that never in the history of the automobile have so many written so much about how to simply turn off your car. I think the best solution would be to install a Track-required Master Cutoff Switch. Just flip it on your way in from the garage and flip it back on when you want to drive.

On a somewhat related tangent, and this may seem a really weird question, can one kill the engine while driving? Say you were a car salesman who had a crazy driver doing a test drive (I have experienced this situation), would there be a way to kill the engine (at a safe time) and not allow him to restart? Probably not but I had thought about this the other day. I occasionally experience weird thoughts. --Bob.
      04-06-2019, 04:54 PM   #64
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp Ten View Post
I just had a chance to read through this thread again and I conclude that never in the history of the automobile have so many written so much about how to simply turn off your car. I think the best solution would be to install a Track-required Master Cutoff Switch. Just flip it on your way in from the garage and flip it back on when you want to drive.

On a somewhat related tangent, and this may seem a really weird question, can one kill the engine while driving? Say you were a car salesman who had a crazy driver doing a test drive (I have experienced this situation), would there be a way to kill the engine (at a safe time) and not allow him to restart? Probably not but I had thought about this the other day. I occasionally experience weird thoughts. --Bob.
For the last time:

1. Turn off engine
2. Get out of the car
3. Lock doors with remote
4. Go home.
Appreciate 2
clee1982797.50
ADS-UK498.50
      04-07-2019, 06:32 AM   #65
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp Ten View Post

For the last time:

1. Turn off engine
2. Get out of the car
4. Go home.
+++++ Yep.
Appreciate 1
      04-07-2019, 08:07 AM   #66
jroosh
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 Conv; 2019 M550i

Garage List
2015 BMW M4 Conv  [0.00]
2019 BMW M550i  [0.00]
Wait a second

Quote:

1. Turn off engine
2. Get out of the car
4. Go home.
Once I read that if you wait for a second or two before opening the door, it solves the "problem," it solved the problem for me.

I was hitting the start/stop and immediately opening the door and I would come back to the car a few minutes later and sometimes see the ambient lighting still on, or the iDrive screen or both.

I haven't had an issue since.
Appreciate 1