BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Steering not self-centering well

02-08-2019, 10:43 AM   #1
Warp Ten
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540xi

Steering not self-centering well

Since I picked up my 2019 540xi in November I have noticed that the steering is not very good at self centering. When I go around a corner it tends to keep turning when I let go of the wheel instead of self centering. When I am running straight and move the wheel slightly it tends to stay in that direction rather than self centering like my other cars always did. So I took it in to the dealer today for an alignment check assuming that the caster setting needed adjustment, maybe a little more positive setting to achieve better steering action (Most manufacturers set it between 1 degree and 3 degrees positive I have read). So I will find out what they tell me when I pick it up. But while I was there I went to talk with a couple of techs I know (I used to work there) and mentioned the problem. One tech said that the G30 has a fixed caster--no adjustment. If so I am not sure them can improve my situation. My Service adviser did not mention this, and I don't know if it is in fact true but I trust these guys so it may well be. Anyone else had an issue with the steering not self centering well? And if so what was the fix, if any? I will post my results when I get my car back.--Bob

Last edited by Warp Ten; 02-08-2019 at 11:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 10:56 AM   #2
ztx84
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Competition Xdrive

Hmmm... definitely an odd one. I've always found my G30 to be pretty good at self centering. My F10 was horrible, and I literally had to drag the wheel back, but the G30 is definitely much better. For stuff to do with tyres, tracking/alignment etc I always go to a good independent garage I know, rather than rely on the main dealer. The indys know what they are doing - have you got a good one near you that you could try?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 11:06 AM   #3
Warp Ten
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztx84 View Post
Hmmm... definitely an odd one. I've always found my G30 to be pretty good at self centering. My F10 was horrible, and I literally had to drag the wheel back, but the G30 is definitely much better. For stuff to do with tyres, tracking/alignment etc I always go to a good independent garage I know, rather than rely on the main dealer. The indys know what they are doing - have you got a good one near you that you could try?
Good idea. If the dealer does not provide a satisfactory answer I will check with a couple of local indys who have good reps. We'll see. I have not driven an F10 much. My most recent experience was with an E60 for nine years which steered fine. No issues, and frankly the steering and suspension felt better than that of the new car. I do have a good friend who had an F10 550 and hated the feel of the steering and suspension. Immediately tossed the Goodyears that came with it for Pilot Sports and said the improvement was noticeable. Also had a lot of Dinan suspension parts put in to improve the suspension. He was happy with the end result but it cost a lot of money. He now drives an X3-4M. Since I ordered the all season run flats I also got Goodyears, although I have not noticed them to be a problem (unless they are somehow related to the steering issue). --Bob
      02-08-2019, 11:21 AM   #4
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
I have gone a long time without driving, so I'll say BMW from the late 90s self center better than my G30...

Not in it has dead spot more like once you finish turning how nature it felt to turn back...
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 12:09 PM   #5
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp Ten View Post
Since I picked up my 2019 540xi in November I have noticed that the steering is not very good at self centering. When I go around a corner it tends to keep turning when I let go of the wheel instead of self centering. When I am running straight and move the wheel slightly it tends to stay in that direction rather than self centering like my other cars always did. So I took it in to the dealer today for an alignment check assuming that the caster setting needed adjustment, maybe a little more positive setting to achieve better steering action (Most manufacturers set it between 1 degree and 3 degrees positive I have read). So I will find out what they tell me when I pick it up. But while I was there I went to talk with a couple of techs I know (I used to work there) and mentioned the problem. One tech said that the G30 has a fixed caster--no adjustment. If so I am not sure them can improve my situation. My Service adviser did not mention this, and I don't know if it is in fact true but I trust these guys so it may well be. Anyone else had an issue with the steering not self centering well? And if so what was the fix, if any? I will post my results when I get my car back.--Bob
The car might need a basic alignment. I had this problem on a 2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited that I owned that they could not seem to fix. It drove me crazy. They even replaced the ball joint to no avail.

Yeah, I only had that vehicle for 30 days before I went back to a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 04:13 PM   #6
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:

My G30 felt like this when new - it improved massively after a few thousand miles
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 04:45 PM   #7
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Take it back to the dealer for a full four wheel alignment.

Be aware that most independent shops, don't have access to the BMW KDS alignment equipment. These cars do not tend to align properly in standard alignment racks.

If you want to get the problem resolved properly, your only option is to get the car checked and aligned on the KDS rack.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 03:34 AM   #8
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
Take it back to the dealer for a full four wheel alignment.

Be aware that most independent shops, don't have access to the BMW KDS alignment equipment. These cars do not tend to align properly in standard alignment racks.

If you want to get the problem resolved properly, your only option is to get the car checked and aligned on the KDS rack.
Odd you say that - Since new, I have had my car KDS aligned twice at 2 different places (one was a dealer, one indy); after every alignment, the non-centering feeling comes back (very mildly, nothing like as bad as when it was new). It always takes a few days of driving for it go back to normal. By normal, I mean very good self centering. But before the alignment the self centering is perfect.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 11:55 AM   #9
Bimmers4life
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
My G30 felt like this when new - it improved massively after a few thousand miles
This may be true due to your tires wearing out or it may not have anything to do with it. Just a thought.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 12:09 PM   #10
Warp Ten
Captain
United_States
Rep

Well, I know more now. I picked the car up this morning after the alignment and it feels the same--not as much self centering action as I would like. Interestingly, the 3-Series loaner I got had no trouble with this--it was self centering after a turn and tracked well on straight roads just as I would expect. What my tech had told me earlier appears to be correct, that there is no adjustment of caster on the G30. Caster is the setting that most influences self centering and tracking. In the alignment sheet below, notice that in the caster line there are no "Target" values as there are for the other settings and the before and after settings are the same. Strange. So it looks like I am stuck with it. It is interesting to note that the caster setting appears to be about 6 degrees positive, which is actually a bit more than many manufacturers use according to some publications I have seen on the internet. Still, to me it makes the steering feel vague and I need to be more vigilant with it that I am used to. I think they were able to center the steering wheel, although I will have to drive a bit more to be sure. --Bob
Attached Images

02-12-2019, 11:04 AM   #11
Warp Ten
Captain
United_States
Rep

The more I have thought about this the more I think it has something to do with the electric steering (Active Front Steering). To me (and I realize not everyone feels this way) the steering seems artificially weighted like there is some friction that requires extra effort on the part of the driver. It is especially noticeable when the steering effort is set to "Sport"; I drive in sport most of the time but while I keep both transmission and throttle set in sport, I leave steering in Comfort mode. I was surprised that the caster is not adjustable but the values are set fairly high at 6 degrees. That should result in better self centering and tracking, but maybe the steering itself causes what I feel. (in the [very] old days, I remember there was an adjustment to a thrust washer on a steering box that would increase of decrease the tightness of the steering; those days are long gone!) At the end of the day I will simply learn to live with it (my only option). After some more driving I discover that the dealer tech did not, in fact, recenter the steering wheel, which I specifically noted was turned slightly to the left when going straight down the road. It is the same as it was, turned a bit to the left; that I will take it back for. Off on a long road trip in a couple of days. Will see if the wife notices any of this.--Bob
      02-12-2019, 05:47 PM   #12
Symo
Where is the Earth Shattering Ka Boom?
Australia
Rep
Drives: E30 540i Mediterranean Blue

Increasing toe in also helps pull your steering straight and also helps to stop the car wandering, particularly on roads with a big camber. But scuffs the tyres out a bit quicker.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 09:40 AM   #13
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
The more I have thought about this the more I think it has something to do with the electric steering (Active Front Steering). To me (and I realize not everyone feels this way) the steering seems artificially weighted like there is some friction that requires extra effort on the part of the driver. It is especially noticeable when the steering effort is set to "Sport"; I drive in sport most of the time but while I keep both transmission and throttle set in sport, I leave steering in Comfort mode. I was surprised that the caster is not adjustable but the values are set fairly high at 6 degrees. That should result in better self centering and tracking, but maybe the steering itself causes what I feel. (in the [very] old days, I remember there was an adjustment to a thrust washer on a steering box that would increase of decrease the tightness of the steering; those days are long gone!)
Not sure what you mean about Active Front Steering, that's the old system from previous generations.

Know what you mean about steering rack adjustments, used to change the stiffness in my cars in the old days.

What I don't understand (partly from your first post), is why the steering is not pulling back when cornering. I'm in an F11, so very similar suspension geometry, castor angles, etc. My car has no issues with loading up as you turn, let go and it self-centres, softening the last few degrees as you'd expect with a BMW. Depending on speed, the self-centering force changes, as we'd expect.

In my car, the Sport steering setting (with less assistance) has a stronger natural self-centering at speed. Loads up well when steering into a bend.

What I read, you are not having the build up of resistance as you turn. Letting go, their is no natural 'spring back' to self-centre. I've driven cars like that, usually over assisted, but that is nothing like any 5-series BMW I've driven.

What's it like at speed, does it still lack, or is it more at low speeds where assistance is higher?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 01:50 PM   #14
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
I've got no problems at all with my G30 on self centering. So I'd say it's a specific to your car than general issue with the model.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 10:33 AM   #15
Warp Ten
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Not sure what you mean about Active Front Steering, that's the old system from previous generations.

Know what you mean about steering rack adjustments, used to change the stiffness in my cars in the old days.

What I don't understand (partly from your first post), is why the steering is not pulling back when cornering. I'm in an F11, so very similar suspension geometry, castor angles, etc. My car has no issues with loading up as you turn, let go and it self-centres, softening the last few degrees as you'd expect with a BMW. Depending on speed, the self-centering force changes, as we'd expect.

In my car, the Sport steering setting (with less assistance) has a stronger natural self-centering at speed. Loads up well when steering into a bend.

What I read, you are not having the build up of resistance as you turn. Letting go, their is no natural 'spring back' to self-centre. I've driven cars like that, usually over assisted, but that is nothing like any 5-series BMW I've driven.

What's it like at speed, does it still lack, or is it more at low speeds where assistance is higher?
I am not sure about "Active Front Steering" either but noticed it on the alignment spec sheet. I was guessing that it was a name for our electric steering or just something we have; may be wrong.

I should say that it is possible that this is just related to my car, and it is possible that I am just being too over sensitive to it. There is some self centering action when I go around a turn, but sometimes I have to consciously unwind it unlike most cars I have driven. As I noted earlier, the 3 series I got for a loaner did not have this problem and self centered the way I would expect and tracked well in a straight line also. A bit of a mystery. I will soon be on a 2,500 mile trip in it and will see if I just get used to it.

I currently set the steering to be in "Comfort" mode when I am in Sport because I felt the steering was artificially over weighted when in Sport. I will check the self centering again with it in Sport as well. I don't really check the self centering action at high speed. I am mostly concerned with tracking then, although they may be one in the same or certainly related. I still find the straight line tracking to be a bit vague compared to what I have been used to in most cars. Does not seem to be related to crowing of the roads. Seems like I have to be more attentive when going down the straight and narrow. --Bob
      02-14-2019, 11:33 AM   #16
Bimmertrashjr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i

Quote:
Quote:

I am not sure about "Active Front Steering" either but noticed it on the alignment spec sheet. I was guessing that it was a name for our electric steering or just something we have; may be wrong.

I should say that it is possible that this is just related to my car, and it is possible that I am just being too over sensitive to it. There is some self centering action when I go around a turn, but sometimes I have to consciously unwind it unlike most cars I have driven. As I noted earlier, the 3 series I got for a loaner did not have this problem and self centered the way I would expect and tracked well in a straight line also. A bit of a mystery. I will soon be on a 2,500 mile trip in it and will see if I just get used to it.

I currently set the steering to be in "Comfort" mode when I am in Sport because I felt the steering was artificially over weighted when in Sport. I will check the self centering again with it in Sport as well. I don't really check the self centering action at high speed. I am mostly concerned with tracking then, although they may be one in the same or certainly related. I still find the straight line tracking to be a bit vague compared to what I have been used to in most cars. Does not seem to be related to crowing of the roads. Seems like I have to be more attentive when going down the straight and narrow. --Bob
Go take another car off the lot for a good drive and compare. This way you will be able to determine if it is your car. Mine is on the money and I have been paying extra attention since reading your earlier post.
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50
      02-14-2019, 12:28 PM   #17
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

What suspension, wheel size and tyre type do you have?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 07:05 AM   #18
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmertrashjr View Post
Go take another car off the lot for a good drive and compare. This way you will be able to determine if it is your car. Mine is on the money and I have been paying extra attention since reading your earlier post.
+1

Was going to recommend the same thing, best way to see if it a personal sensitivity, influenced by other cars, or there is a problem.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 07:28 AM   #19
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

Active front steering is not relevant to the G3x models. Do you have the Variable Sport Steering (VSS) and the rear Integral Active Steering (IAS)? Or is it the standard servotronic steering?

If you are having to give attention to the tracking of the car, does appear something may be wrong. These cars are sensitive to correct geometry, not simply to in spec' calibrations on the readout. Steering wheel position must be central, as the steering angle sensor (SAS) is in the rack and it requires zero position in the straight ahead position, to give the best steering accuracy and feel. By that I don't mean the steering wheel is in the wrong position, in relationship to the rack, but the alignment must give a correct steering wheel position when driving straight. This may mean a tweak on the trackrod ends, (no change in toe calibration), assuming the SAS calibration has not been lost.

Is there a slight difference in steering feel turning right, compared to left. Is the self-centering, different right vs. left turns?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 09:14 AM   #20
Warp Ten
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmertrashjr View Post
Good idea. I plan to do that when the weather gets a little nicer maybe in March or April. --Bob
      02-15-2019, 09:21 AM   #21
Warp Ten
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Active front steering is not relevant to the G3x models. Do you have the Variable Sport Steering (VSS) and the rear Integral Active Steering (IAS)? Or is it the standard servotronic steering?

If you are having to give attention to the tracking of the car, does appear something may be wrong. These cars are sensitive to correct geometry, not simply to in spec' calibrations on the readout. Steering wheel position must be central, as the steering angle sensor (SAS) is in the rack and it requires zero position in the straight ahead position, to give the best steering accuracy and feel. By that I don't mean the steering wheel is in the wrong position, in relationship to the rack, but the alignment must give a correct steering wheel position when driving straight. This may mean a tweak on the trackrod ends, (no change in toe calibration), assuming the SAS calibration has not been lost.

Is there a slight difference in steering feel turning right, compared to left. Is the self-centering, different right vs. left turns?
Good information on the need to have the steering wheel centered. I will talk with my guys at the dealership when I return from my trip and will raise this question to whomever did the alignment. As I had noted the steering wheel is still turned a little to the left even after the trip to the dealer. I remember the days when if you had this problem you just popped the steering wheel off and re-positioned on the splines (think old British cars)! No longer. Also good point on left vs. right turns. I have been focusing on right turns. As I noted, the steering wheel is turned a little to the left. If, when driving straight, I try to center it the cars drifts right. I wonder if this produces an extra emphasis on a right turn, making it be less self centering. Will try to pay attention on lefts as well. Lastly, I did not order any special steering so I have whatever came standard with the 540xi M Sport package. Thanks--Bob

Last edited by Warp Ten; 02-15-2019 at 09:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 09:28 AM   #22
Warp Ten
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
What suspension, wheel size and tyre type do you have?
I have the M Sport suspension that is standard on the M Sport packed for the 540xi. I have 19" wheels with Goodyear Eagle Sport all season tires front and rear. 245/40R 19s.--Bob