BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Vette to M550

02-17-2019, 02:40 PM   #1
Johndani
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550

Vette to M550

Hi new member here. I recently sold my 2013 427 corvette. (Basically a zo6 convertible) in 2013. Bought the car new in 2013 never used much. Had 10k miles when sold last week. In late 2017 I bought the 2018 Bmw m550. Always had 5 series but nothing like this. Once I got this car that was it for the Vette. The reason I'm posting here is because as much as I knew I would never use this Vette again I'm getting a little remorse. Not about the Bmw because I love that. I think maybe some day I'd use that Vette. But I couldn't just let it sit any more as it still was worth decent money. Anyway it's gone now. I see some of you on this forum went Vette to Bmw. Just trying to get some others opinion on this subject. Thank you. One last thing I think I might miss a manual tranny but knew I can't drive manual everyday
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2019, 05:24 PM   #2
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndani View Post
Hi new member here. I recently sold my 2013 427 corvette. (Basically a zo6 convertible) in 2013. Bought the car new in 2013 never used much. Had 10k miles when sold last week. In late 2017 I bought the 2018 Bmw m550. Always had 5 series but nothing like this. Once I got this car that was it for the Vette. The reason I'm posting here is because as much as I knew I would never use this Vette again I'm getting a little remorse. Not about the Bmw because I love that. I think maybe some day I'd use that Vette. But I couldn't just let it sit any more as it still was worth decent money. Anyway it's gone now. I see some of you on this forum went Vette to Bmw. Just trying to get some others opinion on this subject. Thank you. One last thing I think I might miss a manual tranny but knew I can't drive manual everyday
No experience with neither, but having a Vette just waiting to catch dust is most probably not the best solution. The M550i is no doubt the better all day alternative, and also sufficient engaging to have fun. Your decision seems perfectly logic to me.
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2019, 09:05 PM   #3
High Flier
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550iX

Quote:
I never had a Vette, but I had a Firebird Formula. Nice car, I really like V-8s, and the M550i more than delivers with the twin turbo V-8! I can't remember how many times I was sideways in my Firebird (and Mustang GT before that) not a good feeling. The X drive is why I got the M550i over a more traditional muscle car.

As far as not having a manual goes, the M550i transmission is superb. Shifts are quick and precise, and I still have total control for downshifting, etc. The M550iX is the best performance vehicle I've ever owned! No regrets. I'm done buying cars. [mic drop]
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2019, 07:27 AM   #4
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

Never owned a Vette. I have owned three Nissan Z cars, a Porsche, and most recently an M4. All were marvelous cars, but had their respective drawbacks as daily drivers. The M550iX is the best car I have ever owned. A stately, comfortable tourer and DD, and an absolute monster if you want it to be. Not as flashy as some of the others I have owned, doesn't turn a lot of heads. But it can snap a few necks! If I had an extra garage (and an extra bundle of cash!), I might have liked to keep a sports car as a toy. But, since I don't have either, the M550iX is the bomb. And, I definitely do not miss a manual tranny. Good choice, in my opinion, OP.
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2019, 07:37 AM   #5
Johndani
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlothery View Post
Never owned a Vette. I have owned three Nissan Z cars, a Porsche, and most recently an M4. All were marvelous cars, but had their respective drawbacks as daily drivers. The M550iX is the best car I have ever owned. A stately, comfortable tourer and DD, and an absolute monster if you want it to be. Not as flashy as some of the others I have owned, doesn't turn a lot of heads. But it can snap a few necks! If I had an extra garage (and an extra bundle of cash!), I might have liked to keep a sports car as a toy. But, since I don't have either, the M550iX is the bomb. And, I definitely do not miss a manual tranny. Good choice, in my opinion, OP.
Thank you so much for the response. Makes a lot of sense. You basically hit on exactly what I was talking about. Also the part where you talked about the ton of cash and extra space. To me you left out one other thing. The fact that I would still use the m550. . I had the Vette at the same time as the M5 and I always opted for the m5 even on beautiful days (Vette was a convertible). But again thank you. You summed it up well.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 08:54 AM   #6
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Welcome to owning a real vehicle! And this is coming from a prior employee of General Motors corporate!
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2019, 09:16 AM   #7
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Flier View Post
I never had a Vette, but I had a Firebird Formula. Nice car, I really like V-8s, and the M550i more than delivers with the twin turbo V-8! I can't remember how many times I was sideways in my Firebird (and Mustang GT before that) not a good feeling. The X drive is why I got the M550i over a more traditional muscle car.

As far as not having a manual goes, the M550i transmission is superb. Shifts are quick and precise, and I still have total control for downshifting, etc. The M550iX is the best performance vehicle I've ever owned! No regrets. I'm done buying cars. [mic drop]
I know I will get pummeled here for the following but I am somewhat tired of the complaints about not having a manual (which really means not having a clutch since the auto can be run in manual mode). When I learned to drive a manual, and when I owned manuals, there was no tach and no idiot light for shifting...one shifted based on feel and sound. So if one wants the pure manual experience, eliminate the tach and idiot light.

Of course, if one needs the clutch for exercise (keep those left leg muscles moving), that is a different matter.
Appreciate 2
clee1982796.00
      02-18-2019, 01:49 PM   #8
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Quote:
Thank you so much for the response. Makes a lot of sense. You basically hit on exactly what I was talking about. Also the part where you talked about the ton of cash and extra space. To me you left out one other thing. The fact that I would still use the m550. . I had the Vette at the same time as the M5 and I always opted for the m5 even on beautiful days (Vette was a convertible). But again thank you. You summed it up well.
Perhaps this review from Alex on Autos will help you solidify your good decision:

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 2
clee1982796.00
      02-18-2019, 03:09 PM   #9
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Perhaps this review from Alex on Autos will help you solidify your good decision:

I already own this car, but I really enjoyed watching that video anyway!
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2019, 08:41 PM   #10
Johndani
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I already own this car, but I really enjoyed watching that video anyway!
That's funny. Same here. Really enjoyed it as well
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2019, 02:01 PM   #11
bimmer_335
Major
Rep
Drives: 540 mSport

Quote:
I get it. Breakup is always hard... even when you're upgrading.
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2019, 08:34 PM   #12
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Quote:
Welcome to owning a real vehicle! And this is coming from a prior employee of General Motors corporate!
Hi since you worked for GM, is it me or does GM build many cars ? I have always thought so. For that matter so does Ford. GM has more brands. It would be nice if US car makers would put a bit more development in to it and make better but a bit fewer cars. Yes?
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2019, 08:39 PM   #13
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by themnmd View Post
Quote:
Hi since you worked for GM, is it me or does GM build many cars ? I have always thought so. For that matter so does Ford. GM has more brands. It would be nice if US car makers would put a bit more development in to it and make better but a bit fewer cars. Yes?
I worked in IT global telecom, so I really had nothing to do with the car business itself. Our team engineered the internal corporate network (routers, switches, firewalls, etc.).

GM does build a lot of cars. I can tell you the Arlington, TX plant is where they build all Tahoes, Suburbans, and Escalades. An SUV rolls off the line every 60 seconds. It typically takes about eight hours to build an entire car from stamping to rolling off the line. I have toured the factory and it's 5 miles of walking - all inside.
Appreciate 2
themnmd1687.00
clee1982796.00
      02-22-2019, 08:44 PM   #14
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I worked in IT global telecom, so I really had nothing to do with the car business itself. Our team engineered the internal corporate network (routers, switches, firewalls, etc.).

GM does build a lot of cars. I can tell you the Arlington, TX plant is where they build all Tahoes, Suburbans, and Escalades. An SUV rolls off the line every 60 seconds. It typically takes about eight hours to build an entire car from stamping to rolling off the line. I have toured the factory and it's 5 miles of walking - all inside.
That is a lot of cars! They make a lot of money 💵 on those SUV's big mark up
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2019, 08:46 PM   #15
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That is a lot of cars! They make a lot of money 💵 on those SUV's big mark up
Huge. The frame and bodies are the same across Chevrolet, GMC, and Cadillac. It's all the interior trim and bells and whistles that drive the price up, but the foundations are exactly the same.
Appreciate 2
themnmd1687.00
clee1982796.00
      02-26-2019, 08:27 PM   #16
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Thats a big transition, glad you are happy with the BMW

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      02-28-2019, 02:46 PM   #17
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureModelsOnly View Post
Can you feel the extra weight compared to the M4? Thinking of this for my next car but it weighs almost 1000lbs more than the F80 M3!
Definitely not the flickable little M4, so you have to be very precise in corners. I doubt it would keep up with the M4 entering corners. However, the AWD does help, especially when launching out of the corners like a bandit, without the wheelspin and side-slipping you might experience in the M4. I loved both cars, but love the M550 more because of the room, luxury and comfort it also offers. it is a real stealth monster, however. Don't underestimate it!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 07:28 AM   #18
High Flier
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550iX

Quote:
Definitely not the flickable little M4, so you have to be very precise in corners. I doubt it would keep up with the M4 entering corners. However, the AWD does help, especially when launching out of the corners like a bandit, without the wheelspin and side-slipping you might experience in the M4. I loved both cars, but love the M550 more because of the room, luxury and comfort it also offers. it is a real stealth monster, however. Don't underestimate it!
The Dynamic Handling Package definitely makes a difference. The Active Roll Stabilization reduces body roll (which I used to experience with my lighter 3-series). At higher speeds, the Integral Active Steering actually allows the rear wheels steer, which helps with understeering.

I don't drive on tracks, but I think the handling is pretty nice, especially with the DHP. Even better than my Silverado
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 11:53 AM   #19
Warp Ten
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540xi

Quote:
Did it a little bit in reverse or your rationale. I have always had BMWs and knew I would be getting a new 5 series to replace my 2010 535xi. Decided not to get the M550 and got the 540xi instead. I did this because I have a 2016 Z06 (my fourth Vette) and I like it for different reasons than the BMWs. Since the Z06 will do 0-60 in 2.95 seconds according to GM, I decided I didn't need to spend the extra $10k to get one that is only a tick faster than the 540xi (which is still plenty fast; its 4.8 second 0-60 matched that of my quite powerful stock 93 and 95 ZR-1s). Both 5 series cars (and the others) are really great cars regardless of which model you choose. And I don't let my Corvettes gather dust. I put 5,000 miles a year on the Z06 (the BMW goes up on the top of the lift with a charger on it much of the summer), and last year I put only about 5,000 miles on the 535xi while the Z06 was up. The best of both worlds for me!--Bob
Attached Images

03-03-2019, 12:17 PM   #20
Johndani
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp Ten View Post
Quote:
Did it a little bit in reverse or your rationale. I have always had BMWs and knew I would be getting a new 5 series to replace my 2010 535xi. Decided not to get the M550 and got the 540xi instead. I did this because I have a 2016 Z06 (my fourth Vette) and I like it for different reasons than the BMWs. Since the Z06 will do 0-60 in 2.95 seconds according to GM, I decided I didn't need to spend the extra $10k to get one that is only a tick faster than the 540xi (which is still plenty fast; its 4.8 second 0-60 matched that of my quite powerful stock 93 and 95 ZR-1s). Both 5 series cars (and the others) are really great cars regardless of which model you choose. And I don't let my Corvettes gather dust. I put 5,000 miles a year on the Z06 (the BMW goes up on the top of the lift with a charger on it much of the summer), and last year I put only about 5,000 miles on the 535xi while the Z06 was up. The best of both worlds for me!--Bob
Just out of curiosity Is the Vette manual or Auto. In case I add a Vette back just getting some ideas. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 09:57 AM   #21
Warp Ten
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540xi

Quote:
Just out of curiosity Is the Vette manual or Auto. In case I add a Vette back just getting some ideas. Thanks
Of course both my 93 and 95 ZR-1s were manual 6 speeds as it was the only way they came. However, the 2016 Z06 is an 8 speed automatic which I love. Technically it is slightly faster than the manual trans but most important is is easy to drive and works fine when you want to go faster. Paddle shifters work well like when I want to make it sound like a manual with the exhaust open. Mostly just leave it in Drive. My friend and ZR-1 expert Marc Haibeck (who drives all sticks for his 90s ZR-1 work, plus has a stick 2010 ZR-1) always makes me let him drive the Z06 when I come down for lunch roughly once a month. He says it is the best auto he has driven. Roughly 70%-80% of today's Vette sales are automatics.--Bob

Last edited by Warp Ten; 03-09-2019 at 09:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 12:49 PM   #22
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep

Great garage, Bob. Man, tight squeeze, though!
Appreciate 0