BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition Gym Talk! Daily gym related talk

02-03-2021, 10:24 AM   #2839
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebekahb View Post
If you just got your watch, make sure you have everything set up in your health section and it gives you a good bit of info. Wear it for a month and you will have a better idea of a true resting heart rate.
Or just spend 15 seconds taking your pulse, multiply by 4, then compare to your watch

My resting is about 62, according to my Fitbit. Coincides with when I manually test. Running I average about 170, also seems to coincide with manual readings.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 10:42 AM   #2840
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: A car

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Or just spend 15 seconds taking your pulse, multiply by 4, then compare to your watch

My resting is about 62, according to my Fitbit. Coincides with when I manually test. Running I average about 170, also seems to coincide with manual readings.
I must be numb as I press on my wrist and feel nothing. Tried it twice. Would not make a good medical personnel.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 10:54 AM   #2841
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara504 View Post
I must be numb as I press on my wrist and feel nothing. Tried it twice. Would not make a good medical personnel.
Neck? Don't use thumb, it has its own pulse.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 11:00 AM   #2842
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Neck? Don't use thumb, it has its own pulse.
Good to know. I was previously using my thumb. Still couldn't find a pulse in my wrists with my fingers. I found one in my neck. 76. Way off from my watch. Hopefully I did it right!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 11:02 AM   #2843
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Quote:
If you just got your watch, make sure you have everything set up in your health section and it gives you a good bit of info. Wear it for a month and you will have a better idea of a true resting heart rate.

Hahaha, true. I was saying that more from the perspective that it keeps track for you and gives you an idea over time. I'm terrible at remembering to do something like that continually and notate. The watch is constantly monitoring and storing that data. Lazy girl way right here
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 11:15 AM   #2844
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hahaha, true. I was saying that more from the perspective that it keeps track for you and gives you an idea over time. I'm terrible at remembering to do something like that continually and notate. The watch is constantly monitoring and storing that data. Lazy girl way right here
Not continually, just to see where it's at. So if you manually test at 62, but watch says 82, you have a reference point. A resting, and one right after a workout, to see how much it varies over the range.

Much the same with my Fitbit and my sleep scores. It's NOT an 88 in my book, if I got 6.5 hours, and know I was tossing all night. I ended up removing sleep scores from my dash, because they are just not of any value.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 12:12 PM   #2845
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Not continually, just to see where it's at. So if you manually test at 62, but watch says 82, you have a reference point. A resting, and one right after a workout, to see how much it varies over the range.

Much the same with my Fitbit and my sleep scores. It's NOT an 88 in my book, if I got 6.5 hours, and know I was tossing all night. I ended up removing sleep scores from my dash, because they are just not of any value.
Zolpidem can help with the tossing all night. I love that stuff.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 12:19 PM   #2846
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
I must be numb as I press on my wrist and feel nothing.
It's all right. You shouldn't need to press, apply the thumb gently, just find the correct spot. Or just look at it, perhaps: I can see my pulse on my wrists and on my hands. Putting hand on the chest catches it as well.

Quote:
Don't use thumb, it has its own pulse.
And it's own heart. Do you get your pulse on your thumb? It's usually used to sense the pulse on the wrist (or elsewhere).

Quote:
I'm terrible at remembering to do something like that continually and notate. The watch is constantly monitoring and storing that data. Lazy girl way right here
Being unorganized is not being lazy. You can set reminders in your phone. It's just when you are counting your pulse you can affect the result (at least by increasing the rate, I guess) , that's why I'd rather count for 10 seconds but they suggest 30. A monitor reads it when you are "unconscious" but how does it know you are at rest? If you don't move (the monitor) it's not necessarily so. I guess they take the lowest for a day.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 12:50 PM   #2847
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
It's all right. You shouldn't need to press, apply the thumb gently, just find the correct spot. Or just look at it, perhaps: I can see my pulse on my wrists and on my hands. Putting hand on the chest catches it as well.

Is it weird I used to be able to see my pulse in my foot? Right around my ankle, I used to be able to see the vein pulsating. That was until my right foot decided to swell up every day about three months ago. Now I can't see it because of the water retention in my foot. I'm falling apart, ha.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 01:44 PM   #2848
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
my right foot decided to swell up every day about three months ago.
That must be lead foot (regarding driving).
Appreciate 1
Sara5775.50
      02-06-2021, 12:35 PM   #2849
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Pool day. Swam 1 mile as usual. Felt good but the other shoulder is still grieving me at the deltoid to humerus insertion. I have changed to an every other week swimming schedule to give the shoulder a break. Off weeks are hikes in the woods. Looking forward to biking season in late April.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2021, 06:44 AM   #2850
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Been maintaining and working out at home a lot lately. Hitting the the gym today: chest & tri's...

my humble opinions:

@ Rebekah - you will have to lead by example, when it comes to your husband. I believe that is a common thread in all marriages. Either party must show leadership in various areas at times for the other to step up. Could mean eating right, church solo, gym solo, therapist solo... everyone is different but i know for me, if my wife is implementing something healthy and beneficial in her life, I will eventually follow suit and vice versa.

Use it or lose it - as we age our muscles will atrophy and sitting or not moving enough is a sure fire way to feel old. It's tragic watching a loved one waste away because they can't seem to stay out of their own way. I see it as self sabotage - plain and simple.

As for the back fat - echoing what's already been said - convert the fat to muscle. For me pull-ups are a staple of my daily workouts. They do a fantastic job at keeping my back toned, along with back extensions. Machine & dumbbells bent over using bench.

Missing the YMCA, been at LA fitness lately so my wife can see a personal trainer - to save $ LA is cheaper. Anyway, this is the time of yr where the non gym ppl try to start a new gym habit - and while i applaud their efforts - it will be nice when they quit and the gym isn't so crowded.

Reb - see if your husband will take the braverman test bravermantest.com. my wife took it and it literally said that weights would improve her mood regulating. Even though I had been telling her that 4 yrs.

JP - the sitting is definitely the issue, posture is everything - back muscles love to be used often - sounds funny but hand washing our cars is one way I get my upper body moving outside of a workout - had wash, hand dry, spray wax, vacuum.

And @ Uncle Wade asking for more pix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.

Last edited by floridaorange; 02-15-2021 at 09:58 AM..
Appreciate 2
JP102462.00
rebekahb3128.50
      02-15-2021, 11:12 AM   #2851
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Dang, can't believe two weeks went by and I didn't post on this one. Pretty sure I have been in the gym majority of those days though. Took yesterday off per the ladies request and instead gorged myself in food and great drinks lol. Stomach is in shambles this morning, but should lean back out through the week.

This morning was Back & Triceps. Overall a solid day. On a small cut as of lately. Heading to St Augustine with some friends for the weekend of the 26th, so wanted to lean out prior. Wedding is under 3-digits away, 95 days I think, so also cutting for that.

Upper back pain is still around. Recently got one of those standing desks at work. So in a seated position my monitors are up higher, which has been helping my keep my shoulders and neck back. Have been standing for at least a couple hours throughout the workday, so hopefully this helps to an extent.

Knee pain is ongoing - probably need to get it looked at but I am stubborn as shit. Haven't been pushing it too hard, so hopefully it is just slowly recovering.
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2021, 12:47 PM   #2852
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

@floridaorange he's actually been doing very well! He is taking initiative to book his own classes. He will ask me if I'm able to join him and if I can't he still goes. I've told him that I'm proud of him for taking this seriously and complimented him on his weight loss. I swear it's crazy how easy guys can lose weight. We've been ordering our dinners from a local meal prep company because it's less waste on food. I don't keep a bunch of junk in the house either.

I think beginning to work out can be very overwhelming to some but once you get started and see the benefits it's rewarding.

I've been struggling with working out. I guess it's the gloomy cold weather that's unusual for us. I just feel like I'm having to push myself harder to get there. Like always, I feel so much better after and happy I went.
Appreciate 2
JP102462.00
      02-16-2021, 01:26 PM   #2853
ramman434
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
@floridaorange I swear it's crazy how easy guys can lose weight.
This is why my wife hates me lol. I'm 6'3 and about 200-202lb. throughout the week while working out/cardio. I eat healthy (but still massive amounts), and once the weekend comes I binge on whatever I want, be it booze, food, treats, or all of the above.

My weight has been known to go up 10-11lb. over the weekend on Monday. Then I've dropped it all again by Saturday. A vicious cycle - hence my wife hates me.

Sidenote: Have been getting bored w/my workouts so I started back on the Rock's Hercules movie workout (movie was terrible btw) from a few years ago. I've done it off & on for several years now when I need a switch up. It's really great for building strength/endurance. Did universal chest day w/every other person working out on a Monday, and today will be back day.
Appreciate 2
JP102462.00
rebekahb3128.50
      02-16-2021, 01:50 PM   #2854
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramman434 View Post
This is why my wife hates me lol. I'm 6'3 and about 200-202lb. throughout the week while working out/cardio. I eat healthy (but still massive amounts), and once the weekend comes I binge on whatever I want, be it booze, food, treats, or all of the above.

My weight has been known to go up 10-11lb. over the weekend on Monday. Then I've dropped it all again by Saturday. A vicious cycle - hence my wife hates me.

Sidenote: Have been getting bored w/my workouts so I started back on the Rock's Hercules movie workout (movie was terrible btw) from a few years ago. I've done it off & on for several years now when I need a switch up. It's really great for building strength/endurance. Did universal chest day w/every other person working out on a Monday, and today will be back day.

Everything in bold describes myself perfectly besides the fact that I am 5' 10" 185lbs lol. Women have it rough. Really just boils down to natural Test vs Estrogen. One is great for weight loss and the other is the opposite.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 03:10 PM   #2855
ramman434
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Yeah it works. I still have to put in some hard cardio each day after heavy lifts though. My wife just hates how easily it comes off lol.
I've had fraternity brothers betting on me being fat by 30 for over 10 years, due to my insane appetite. Let's just say that I won the pot a couple of years ago lol
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2021, 08:00 PM   #2856
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
@floridaorange he's actually been doing very well! He is taking initiative to book his own classes. He will ask me if I'm able to join him and if I can't he still goes. I've told him that I'm proud of him for taking this seriously and complimented him on his weight loss. I swear it's crazy how easy guys can lose weight. We've been ordering our dinners from a local meal prep company because it's less waste on food. I don't keep a bunch of junk in the house either.

I think beginning to work out can be very overwhelming to some but once you get started and see the benefits it's rewarding.

I've been struggling with working out. I guess it's the gloomy cold weather that's unusual for us. I just feel like I'm having to push myself harder to get there. Like always, I feel so much better after and happy I went.
Make the objective for getting back into shape to make it harder on your body NOT to workout than it is TO workout.

Once you get to that place - it becomes fun and much more rewarding because it has become so routine it just flows.

Not getting into a healthy workout routine = self-sabotage - imho

Quote:
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 2
jmack548.50
rebekahb3128.50
      02-22-2021, 09:45 AM   #2857
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

On maybe a 10 day streak of hitting the gym each day. Hell even golfed on top of the gym yesterday while being uncomfortably hungover throughout the process. I'm a glutton for punishment, usually after a night out I'll push even harder in the gym. This usually leads to me getting sick or coming very close to being sick lol. Starting to lean out, will keep the diet strict throughout the week. My shoulders/chest/back area seems to be staying a little larger this time around, not fat but muscle. Maybe it's because I'm getting older and starting to hold more weight up top - not sure if others had a similar experience as they aged.

Saturday was shoulders/biceps, yesterday was chest, and today was heavy cardio and core. All in all I am feeling pretty solid. Upper back tightness is still present, although I just ordered the link below. It'll show up tomorrow and I am beyond pumped to try it. Reviews are great and I'll be sure to give an update once I use it. Knee issue is ongoing. Seems to have been improving over the last few days though. Continuing to be mindful of it and not over work it in any way.

https://www.amazon.com/Acumobility-U...008655&sr=8-27
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 08:01 AM   #2858
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Been a while since I've posted in here. Started my cut two weeks ago. As always, transitioning is the part I hate. I have not done well so far. I did manage to gain almost 30 pounds since October. Now to see just exactly how much of it is fat. As of Monday, I am in straight up cut mode. It takes a few weeks to flip the switch mentally, but I'm very much looking forward to single digit body fat % again. Funny how dropping from 211 to....well, where I was at in September to now weighing 150 and I feel obese. I didn't "feel" fat when I was 211. A persons perception is a strange thing. I'll be glad to have my V back and to be able to see my veins in my obliques again.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 03:34 PM   #2859
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearga View Post
Guys, I need your advice on a training split for the week. I want to focus on the legs and shoulders that are behind me. Should I train my shoulders 3-4 times a week after every workout for my back or chest? And should I split my leg workout into two parts - hamstrings and quads?
Hm a little confused. Training shoulders 3-4 a week wont help them grow. Probably the opposite. Best advice I can offer in regards to shoulders is to not get your hopes up too high. They're a tough area to develop - unless you are using steriods in which they grow very rapidly.

Training legs twice per week is great. I wouldn't split it into hamstring and quads though. Rather heavy day and light day.

Vague answer, but short on time. Hope it helps!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 07:38 PM   #2860
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

My shoulders respond well to light weights almost daily - although every other day is plenty - then once or twice a week at gym just mix in some shoulder lifts - arnold press, military press... light weight flys and i love using rubber bands at home - get creative and mix it up - shoulders are my strongest body part for whatever reason and respond the most and quickest to any lifting, then chest, biceps, back, and lastly legs

Quote:
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 1
JP102462.00