BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Coding Adaptive mode on 530i with BimmerCode

03-13-2021, 11:27 PM   #1
leasehackr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5, 530e

Coding Adaptive mode on 530i with BimmerCode

Has someone coded Adaptive driving mode on 530i?

Per technical manual The ADAPTIVE mode is not always available in the G30, it also requires the optional equipment Dynamic Damper Control (OE 223 or ZDH).

On 530i, this option is not available.

I was able to code Adaptive mode with BimmerCode but it doesn’t show name Adaptive on the instrument cluster the same way it shows Comfort or Sport.

Also not sure if the car is indeed in Adaptive mode? Should I revert back the coding?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 04:28 AM   #2
mrgicm
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M

For Adaptive mode you also need the buttons next to the gear shifter beside sport and comfort is the adaptive button. Just cosing will not do anything if you dont have the buttons and the suspension.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 03:56 PM   #3
leasehackr
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgicm View Post
For Adaptive mode you also need the buttons next to the gear shifter beside sport and comfort is the adaptive button. Just cosing will not do anything if you dont have the buttons and the suspension.
That's what I thought. Hardware is missing, software/config change won't do anything.

Is there way to know which mode car is in right now? It shows blank <no name> next to D?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 06:30 AM   #4
ejlover06
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: 2017 G30 520 1.6lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by leasehackr View Post
That's what I thought. Hardware is missing, software/config change won't do anything.

Is there way to know which mode car is in right now? It shows blank <no name> next to D?
How do you select that "blank mode"? Which button did you use to get into that?

If you've coded ComfortIndividual or EcoProPlus they also show blank on the cluster. Also if you've coded SportPlus only on BDC or NBT and didn't code it on the other it also may show blank.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 12:32 PM   #5
leasehackr
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejlover06 View Post
How do you select that "blank mode"? Which button did you use to get into that?

If you've coded ComfortIndividual or EcoProPlus they also show blank on the cluster. Also if you've coded SportPlus only on BDC or NBT and didn't code it on the other it also may show blank.
I haven't used any button to get into the blank mode. I used Bimmercode to code default driving mode <Adaptive> on my 2021 530i. Even though it doesn't have the option ZDH Dynamic Handling Package, which enabled Adaptive driving mode, the coding option was presented. ZDH Dynamic Handling Package is only available with 540i and above.

However, coding was successful. It doesn't show any error but it shows Blank mode next to D.

So my question was what mode the car is driving when coded with Bimmercode to default Adaptive mode even though the car is not equipped with ZDH.

here is bimmercode page.
https://bimmercode.app/cars/g30/

Default driving mode
Values:
ADAPTIVE
COMFORT
ECO PRO
ECO PRO INDIVIDUAL
SPORT
SPORT INDIVIDUAL
Requirements:
“Body Domain Controller” BDC_BODY2 control unit
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 05:52 AM   #6
ejlover06
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep

Quote:
I haven't used any button to get into the blank mode. I used Bimmercode to code default driving mode <Adaptive> on my 2021 530i. Even though it doesn't have the option ZDH Dynamic Handling Package, which enabled Adaptive driving mode, the coding option was presented. ZDH Dynamic Handling Package is only available with 540i and above.

However, coding was successful. It doesn't show any error but it shows Blank mode next to D.

So my question was what mode the car is driving when coded with Bimmercode to default Adaptive mode even though the car is not equipped with ZDH.

here is bimmercode page.
https://bimmercode.app/cars/g30/

Default driving mode
Values:
ADAPTIVE
COMFORT
ECO PRO
ECO PRO INDIVIDUAL
SPORT
SPORT INDIVIDUAL
Requirements:
“Body Domain Controller” BDC_BODY2 control unit
Since you've begun and finished your coding in one of your pre-existing driving modes it still should be the selected mode after the coding. If you've coded adaptive mode to "activate it", that mode won't be selected automatically.

What you've shared now is just changing the "Default driving mode" which is the mode car selects by default at each start. "Activating" adaptive mode requires custom coding in Expert mode in BimmerCode in BDC and HU_NBT ECUs. If you didn't do it, this means you didn't actually coded adaptive mode.

Car probably stayed at the last mode before you coded the car. Even though it doesn't matter. Try to "Activate" adaptive mode through manual coding or change the "default mode" to any pre-existing modes.
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2021, 05:01 PM   #7
leasehackr
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
"Activating" adaptive mode requires custom coding in Expert mode in BimmerCode in BDC and HU_NBT ECUs. If you didn't do it, this means you didn't actually coded adaptive mode.
Make sense.

Do you have instructions to do this in expert mode? Can you share it here or in the PM?

The next logical question would be, even if I managed to do this in expert mode, would the car be in Adaptive mode? It doesn't have ZDH option.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 04:15 AM   #8
ejlover06
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep

Lightbulb

Quote:
Make sense.

Do you have instructions to do this in expert mode? Can you share it here or in the PM?

The next logical question would be, even if I managed to do this in expert mode, would the car be in Adaptive mode? It doesn't have ZDH option.
Welcome

My car doesn't have SportPlus mode and SportTransmission (also shiftlights and LaunchControl) from factory but I've coded these and they work

Car also doesn't have ComfortPlus mode from the factory (which have a softer steering wheel and softer setting for suspensions). My car doesn't have adaptive suspensions, but softer steering wheel option is available after the coding now.

But my car doesn't also have ComfortIndividual mode. I've also coded that but it doesn't work, it doesn't show on iDrive screen, and it shows a blank space just like yours in the instrument cluster

So it's test-and-see kinda thing. I've coded all but Adaptive mode, since selection of this mode requires a physical button on the side of mode switch. Without that button it would not be possible to select that mode (except coding it as the default mode may work). Even if everything went well only thing that may work would be the automatic change of modes according to driving style. Rest relies on additional hardware. So it seems like a long shot. But if you wanna try it (I don't suggest you do if you've never used expert mode before), check these parameters:

FES_ADAPTIVE in HU_NBT and

FesPiaDefaultAdaptiveWorldMode
FesAdaptiveWorldMode0
FesAdaptiveWorldMode1
FesAdaptiveWorldMode2 in BDC_BODY2

Be careful to select predefined values while changing werte value. Don't enter any custom HEX value
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 03:48 AM   #9
leasehackr
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Welcome

My car doesn't have SportPlus mode and SportTransmission (also shiftlights and LaunchControl) from factory but I've coded these and they work

Car also doesn't have ComfortPlus mode from the factory (which have a softer steering wheel and softer setting for suspensions). My car doesn't have adaptive suspensions, but softer steering wheel option is available after the coding now.

But my car doesn't also have ComfortIndividual mode. I've also coded that but it doesn't work, it doesn't show on iDrive screen, and it shows a blank space just like yours in the instrument cluster

So it's test-and-see kinda thing. I've coded all but Adaptive mode, since selection of this mode requires a physical button on the side of mode switch. Without that button it would not be possible to select that mode (except coding it as the default mode may work). Even if everything went well only thing that may work would be the automatic change of modes according to driving style. Rest relies on additional hardware. So it seems like a long shot. But if you wanna try it (I don't suggest you do if you've never used expert mode before), check these parameters:

FesAdaptiveWorldMode0
FesAdaptiveWorldMode1

Be careful to select predefined values while changing werte value. Don't enter any custom HEX value

Does these just need to make Aktiv from not Aktiv?

FesAdaptiveWorldMode0
FesAdaptiveWorldMode1

I come from Esys launcher pro but used Bimmercode in expert mode. I assume expert mode in BC should be similar to Esys launcher pro.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 04:14 AM   #10
ejlover06
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep

Quote:
Does these just need to make Aktiv from not Aktiv?

FesAdaptiveWorldMode0
FesAdaptiveWorldMode1

I come from Esys launcher pro but used Bimmercode in expert mode. I assume expert mode in BC should be similar to Esys launcher pro.
Yeah same logic Try to change all into activ. For world modes you should select the specific Adaptive mode. You may check your other modes to see the list
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 01:24 PM   #11
leasehackr
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah same logic Try to change all into activ. For world modes you should select the specific Adaptive mode. You may check your other modes to see the list
ok let me take a look at today thru expert mode.

Is there way to manually take backup when you are in Bimmercode Expert mode? Just in case..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 06:12 AM   #12
ejlover06
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep

Quote:
ok let me take a look at today thru expert mode.

Is there way to manually take backup when you are in Bimmercode Expert mode? Just in case..
BimmerCode creates a folder in the root and backups the readings at each connection. You must copy that folder before coding.

Best way is to delete that folder with OEM codings on the car (or at least with the codes that didn't caused any problems so far). Then connect the car. Read all the ECUs (don't code anything). Exit the app. Copy the whole BimmerCode folder to another location. Then code the car
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2021, 06:09 PM   #13
leasehackr
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
BimmerCode creates a folder in the root and backups the readings at each connection. You must copy that folder before coding.

Best way is to delete that folder with OEM codings on the car (or at least with the codes that didn't caused any problems so far). Then connect the car. Read all the ECUs (don't code anything). Exit the app. Copy the whole BimmerCode folder to another location. Then code the car
Success!

ejlover06 Thanks.

Adaptive mode is working now. Earlier it was blank next to P.
Attached Images

Last edited by leasehackr; 03-29-2021 at 07:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 03:18 AM   #14
ejlover06
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep

Quote:
Success!

ejlover06 Thanks.

Adaptive mode is working now. Earlier it was blank next to P.
I'm glad it worked

Does the menu on iDrive also activated? Or can you select it with mode buttons on the mid console?

And what does it do actually without adaptive suspensions and so?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 12:49 PM   #15
leasehackr
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm glad it worked

Does the menu on iDrive also activated? Or can you select it with mode buttons on the mid console?

And what does it do actually without adaptive suspensions and so?
Good questions

I haven't checked iDrive Menu yet. let me check today.

I have 530i and it doesn't have an Adaptive button to select the drive mode.
Appreciate 1
ejlover06104.50
      04-02-2021, 04:21 AM   #16
new5
Rep
Drives: 2021 G30 LCI M Sport 20"

I have a LCI 530i that comes with adaptive next to the sport/comfort/eco mode. I am still wondering what it does!

Other forums show it is suppose to be automatically on when you start your car, is this true or we must press each time we start our car?

Did some reading between Adaptive Drive and Adaptive mode, the more I read, the more confused I get! LoL

The only knowledge I got is this adaptive function helps you to take a corner and road condition better, am I right?

Appreciate if anyone can enlighten me..

Thanks and have a great holiday!

Cheers
Appreciate 0