BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Retrofit Harmon Kardon speakers upgrade

12-29-2020, 01:13 AM   #23
simo9
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW 420d msport

Hello
I make a good project near to BOWERS
But I don’t know how upload some photos 🙃
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 09:49 AM   #24
jaylazy2020
Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW F82 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by simo9 View Post
Hello
I make a good project near to BOWERS
But I don’t know how upload some photos 🙃
Did you retrofit the B&W sound system?

I'd love to see the photos and how the amp was wired

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 08:56 AM   #25
Farravi
Newbie to G30
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 530e

[QUOTE=Farravi]

I have yet to install the central speakers nor have I come round to installing the rear parcel shelf mids and tweeters which have arrived.

I have a few mids, tweeters and an extra complete harness if anyone wants.

I will add photos/videos of the various bits to this post once I get a chance.[/QUOTE=Farravi]

The sunny weather called for me to finally get round to the parcel shelf speakers and swap them for the HK mids + tweeters.

The tweeters come with the screw and screw holding bracket that slide into the tweeter shelf to enable the the screws to mount into it.

The hk mids come with two female plug inserts (one for the Amp and for the tweeter) as opposed to the basic bmw which only has one.

I ran the tweeter cable under the foam onto the mids so that it can plug in there and the rest was easy.

T25 for the mids and a Philips head for the tweeter screws. There’s no rewiring or splicing needed as the kit that I ordered is the same as the HK from bmw. It’s pretty much plug and play.

I used a precision flat screwdriver head as the plastic pry tools did not help me prying off the rear parcel shelf speaker cover but other than that an easy swap.

Oh and I didn’t bother taking off the rear headrests as I was struggling with taking it off without damaging it.

I just have the center speakers to do and that’s not an easy task so I’ve left it for another day.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 12:15 PM   #26
Diego_79
Rep
Drives: BMW G30, BMW E87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farravi View Post
I just have the center speakers to do and that’s not an easy task so I’ve left it for another day.
Hi there. Did you manage to finish it?

Regarding the rear shelf speaker, I tried with some prying tools with no success and I had to buy another set that had one tool that was wider and thinner enough to fit in the gap, the covers came out super easily.

I'm going to try installing the center console speaker but I'm not sure how to connect both the mid and the tweeter to the system (I have the basic sound system). I'm also going to add the front door tweeters and mids to see if it's good enough, else I will need to go for a full upgrade including an amp.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2022, 09:09 AM   #27
Marijnt
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW G31 540ix 2018

Hi all, I have 2 questions regarding the HK install, specifically for the rear doors. I want to switch doorpanels and the rear doorpanels don’t have the cutouts for the speakers and also not the space for the small tweater in the trim, near the doorlever. Is it easy to take out that piece of trim where the small tweater can be installed? And do I only have to cutout the leather so as to install the speaker? Looking forward to your reply, many thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2022, 06:23 PM   #28
WretchedRefuse
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marijnt View Post
Hi all, I have 2 questions regarding the HK install, specifically for the rear doors. I want to switch doorpanels and the rear doorpanels don’t have the cutouts for the speakers and also not the space for the small tweater in the trim, near the doorlever. Is it easy to take out that piece of trim where the small tweater can be installed? And do I only have to cutout the leather so as to install the speaker? Looking forward to your reply, many thanks!
Are you saying that you currently have the HK audio system and want to replace your rear door cards with new ones that don't have the speaker mounts? If so, and you can't find instructions online, you may have to remove one of your current door cards and see if it's possible to drill out the rivets that hold the various pieces in place. I expect you will need to do this for both the midrange and tweeter.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2023, 07:44 AM   #29
Marijnt
Registered
Rep

True, I currently have the HK speakers in the car and want to switch the door panels. What I would like to know is is it possible that the cover for the tweeters on the rear door panels can be switched for the covers that don't have tweeters behind it. I'll need to buy new tweeter-covers, or switch them from the current door panels in the car. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2023, 12:23 PM   #30
WretchedRefuse
Lieutenant
Rep

Wow, that's tricky. While I think it should be possible, I'd defer to somebody who has actually played with modifying the door cards. I have an interest in knowing for myself since I've toyed with the idea of swapping in some carbon fiber trim. I think that UKF30 has done this, in case he is lurking on this forum.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2023, 05:49 AM   #31
Marijnt
Registered
Rep

The trim switching is what got me started. In the F20 118i I've got it was very easy to switch the trim. For the G30/G31, as far as I now know, you've got to drill out the rivets, so you need an alternative way to mount the trim, as most of the trim won't have any rivets on the backside, unles you buy it from BMW brandnew. And you also need to dril out the door panels, so that way you need bolts etc or tape to attach the trim to your door panels, with the small chance it comes loose again. So rather than "breaking" the trim and door panels, I'm currently looking at swapping the door panels completely, but haven't found a set yet that also has the Harman Kardon speakers and tweeters. I'm thinking of just buying a nice set and will than check of the speaker and tweeter in the rear door panels can be mounted, or not.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2023, 10:04 AM   #32
WretchedRefuse
Lieutenant
Rep

That's disappointing to hear. Maybe some kind of glue would work, but it would probably be impossible to remove again without destroying both the trim and the door panel.

Buying replacement door panels isn't prohibitively expensive, even used? You would need to replace all four if you're changing trim. I'd expect that even new trim panels from BMW would be less expensive than that.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2023, 10:18 AM   #33
Mike 540
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive

Farravi / GaSelle - may I ask you how did you fit the amp into the base EU setup? I have the same problem - planning an upgrade (adding Match UP7 BMW amp + speakers) but I am unclear how to hookup the amp with the HU? Do I have to go with analogue connection or is there anything significantly better (MOST?). Is there dedicated wiring for both options available? Thx and rgds
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2023, 02:22 PM   #34
devil84
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marijnt View Post
The trim switching is what got me started. In the F20 118i I've got it was very easy to switch the trim. For the G30/G31, as far as I now know, you've got to drill out the rivets, so you need an alternative way to mount the trim, as most of the trim won't have any rivets on the backside, unles you buy it from BMW brandnew. And you also need to dril out the door panels, so that way you need bolts etc or tape to attach the trim to your door panels, with the small chance it comes loose again. So rather than "breaking" the trim and door panels, I'm currently looking at swapping the door panels completely, but haven't found a set yet that also has the Harman Kardon speakers and tweeters. I'm thinking of just buying a nice set and will than check of the speaker and tweeter in the rear door panels can be mounted, or not.
Are you saying you can’t remove your oem speaker trims in door panel?
Appreciate 0