BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Help me decide which M550i to buy!

02-24-2019, 08:55 PM   #1
jamesms69
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i Sport Wagon

Help me decide which M550i to buy!

Hi all! After 3 years with a Mercedes C450, I'm coming back to the BMW brand to an M550i. I previously had an F31. Two dealers have agreed to a pretty aggressive deal on an M550i (9% off + incentives), but I cannot decide which car to get. They are both pretty loaded with DAP, LSP, PAP, EP, and PP, and each has a few options I wouldn't order like Night Vision and Display Key. Below is what sets them apart. I'd love to hear all of your opinions!

Car 1:
Carbon Black Metallic
Black Nappa Leather
Fineline Cove Trim
19" Wheels
DHP

Car 2:
Individual Champagne Quartz Metallic
Individual Carmel Merino Leather
Burl Walnut Trim
20" wheels
No-DHP

Car 2 wins on looks. The Individual paint and interior really make it something special. I've always had black interiors, and I sorta want something different. Car 1 wins for the wheels. While I like the look of the 20" wheels, the 19"s are more practical as I need all-seasons where I live and don't want to deal with tire swaps.

The biggest factor for me is the DHP. Coming from smaller, easy to toss around cars, Ive been thinking DHP would be a must have for me. Unfortunately there is not a car within 150 miles that has it, so I haven't driven one, so I don't really know what's missing.

Should I go for the exciting looking car 2 or exciting driving car 1?? If I go for looks, will I regret not having DHP? If I go for driving dynamics, will I feel the looks are too boring?

What says the internet??
Appreciate 2
      02-24-2019, 09:15 PM   #2
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesms69 View Post
Hi all! After 3 years with a Mercedes C450, I'm coming back to the BMW brand to an M550i. I previously had an F31. Two dealers have agreed to a pretty aggressive deal on an M550i (9% off + incentives), but I cannot decide which car to get. They are both pretty loaded with DAP, LSP, PAP, EP, and PP, and each has a few options I wouldn't order like Night Vision and Display Key. Below is what sets them apart. I'd love to hear all of your opinions!

Car 1:
Carbon Black Metallic
Black Nappa Leather
Fineline Cove Trim
19" Wheels
DHP

Car 2:
Individual Champagne Quartz Metallic
Individual Carmel Merino Leather
Burl Walnut Trim
20" wheels
No-DHP

Car 2 wins on looks. The Individual paint and interior really make it something special. I've always had black interiors, and I sorta want something different. Car 1 wins for the wheels. While I like the look of the 20" wheels, the 19"s are more practical as I need all-seasons where I live and don't want to deal with tire swaps.

The biggest factor for me is the DHP. Coming from smaller, easy to toss around cars, Ive been thinking DHP would be a must have for me. Unfortunately there is not a car within 150 miles that has it, so I haven't driven one, so I don't really know what's missing.

Should I go for the exciting looking car 2 or exciting driving car 1?? If I go for looks, will I regret not having DHP? If I go for driving dynamics, will I feel the looks are too boring?

What says the internet??
When I bought mine, there were very few anywhere in Texas that had the dynamic handling package.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 04:13 AM   #3
///M-er-gized
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i

That's an easy choice for me. I'd go for the first one. 1) DHP, 2) not a fan of Champaign quartz, 3) I always prefer black interior, 4) 19" wheels would be a requirement for me living in PA, and probably you too since you live in OH. The roads around here just aren't good enough for 20" wheels.
      02-25-2019, 04:21 AM   #4
Symo
Where is the Earth Shattering Ka Boom?
Australia
Rep
Drives: E30 540i Mediterranean Blue

Love the DHP in the cars I've driven. Feels very secure on the road
Appreciate 2
      02-25-2019, 06:05 AM   #5
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Car 2 no question.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 07:47 AM   #6
gooselee
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Well I ordered for myself a black car with fineline cove and DHP, so if it were me the choice would be obvious. But, sounds like you have different priorities/preferences.

I do think DHP makes a difference and the IAS especially is noticeable in tight spots. I would say I also feel it adds stability at high speeds but only had 30 mins in a non-DHP car when testing so can't really say.

Remember you can always swap the wheels. Much harder to change the colors and near impossible to add/remove DHP after the fact.
Appreciate 1
      02-25-2019, 08:26 AM   #7
jamesms69
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the replies, and keep 'em coming!

I will add that I will almost certainly be leasing, and I would prefer not to have the added expense of a 2nd set of wheels. I totally agree about the 19"s on the bad roads; they're going to be smoother and more durable. I've had awful luck with the 19"s on my Merc, and I can't imagine having even less sidewall protection.

Right now, I'm leaning toward Car 1. I once bought a 2014 Acura RDX, and I was so disappointed with its handling that I ordered my F31 8 months later. Since this is a bigger, heavier car than what I'm used to, I'm compelled not to give up the DHP. It will also prevent me from having to deal with new tires/wheels right away. Finally, while I do really like the unique combo of Champagne Qaurtz over Carmel, I don't dislike the Carbon Black. I could certainly live with it.

I still have a few days before I make a final decision, and I'll probably change my mind five to twenty times between now and then! If only one of the dealers would give me the same discount on an ordered car...
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 01:45 PM   #8
jamesms69
Enlisted Member
Rep

Just got an update from a 3rd dealer that agreed to match the current offer (9% off + incentives) for a custom order! They will also lock-in the current rates and incentives, unless they are in my favor at delivery. It seems I won't have to make the tough choice after all.

I'm still considering the Champagne Quartz over Carmel but will have to decide if it's worth the added wait. I'll be posting in the ordering forum about Individual option lead times. It seems they are all over the place.
Appreciate 1
530iDriver1707.50
      02-25-2019, 02:22 PM   #9
gooselee
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Nice!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 02:28 PM   #10
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Just got an update from a 3rd dealer that agreed to match the current offer (9% off + incentives) for a custom order! They will also lock-in the current rates and incentives, unless they are in my favor at delivery. It seems I won't have to make the tough choice after all.

I'm still considering the Champagne Quartz over Carmel but will have to decide if it's worth the added wait. I'll be posting in the ordering forum about Individual option lead times. It seems they are all over the place.
taste is very, very personal. To me...it would be a simple choice. Pick the individual leather. I didn't but in my case BMW was buying back my previous car and I couldn't ask them to wait the additional months for the individual leather to be added to the build. It was enough for me to ask them to wait while my car was built to my specs without any individual features.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 04:15 PM   #11
12bmw535xi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550

Make sure you drive a car with and without DHP. I absolutely hated the way car equipped with it drove. Felt like a big boat. Nice handling once the system is working, but super soft and floaty in 90% of driving. No doubt if everyday comfort is what you are looking for, you will like the DHP.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 04:31 PM   #12
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
I would pick "1" if I were you, no experience with DHP, but 19in wheel and you're in Ohio that's just being realistic...
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 05:39 PM   #13
jamesms69
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12bmw535xi View Post
Make sure you drive a car with and without DHP. I absolutely hated the way car equipped with it drove. Felt like a big boat. Nice handling once the system is working, but super soft and floaty in 90% of driving. No doubt if everyday comfort is what you are looking for, you will like the DHP.
Interesting. Most of the descriptions of DHP describe it as something I would want. However, I've seen a few people like you describe it as "floaty." Can you elaborate on this? My understanding is it has the same M-Sport springs and dampers as the non-DHP cars but should help prevent body roll in turns with the adaptive dampers. I'm just trying to wrap my head around why it would feel different in normal driving conditions.

As I mentioned, I do not have a reasonable option to drive a car with DHP. There is not one within 150 miles! I wanted to see if the non-DHP car felt acceptable, so I went back to the local dealer to test drive it again. They had traded the car to another dealer the day before, and now there are no M550i within 100 miles I can test drive. I'm now left with only the input of the fine people on this forum to make a decision.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 05:49 PM   #14
12bmw535xi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550

Quote:
Quote:
Interesting. Most of the descriptions of DHP describe it as something I would want. However, I've seen a few people like you describe it as "floaty." Can you elaborate on this? My understanding is it has the same M-Sport springs and dampers as the non-DHP cars but should help prevent body roll in turns with the adaptive dampers. I'm just trying to wrap my head around why it would feel different in normal driving conditions.

As I mentioned, I do not have a reasonable option to drive a car with DHP. There is not one within 150 miles! I wanted to see if the non-DHP car felt acceptable, so I went back to the local dealer to test drive it again. They had traded the car to another dealer the day before, and now there are no M550i within 100 miles I can test drive. I'm now left with only the input of the fine people on this forum to make a decision.
It feels like the suspension is softer and car squats upon acceleration and dives when braking way more then without DHP. I'm sure when pushed at the track in sport plus, DHP will have it's benefits, but not in every day driving. At least not for me. You really have to drive one! It sucks that the availability is so low.
Appreciate 2
      02-25-2019, 05:59 PM   #15
jamesms69
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
It feels like the suspension is softer and car squats upon acceleration and dives when braking way more then without DHP. I'm sure when pushed at the track in sport plus, DHP will have it's benefits, but not in every day driving. At least not for me. You really have to drive one! It sucks that the availability is so low.
Thanks for the follow up. I'll never track the car, but I do like to toss my car around corners and push it hard on cloverleafs and backroads. This is where I'd expect the DHP to come in handy. I'm coming from smaller, lighter cars, and hoped this package would help replicate that, especially with the IAS essentially shortening the wheelbase at lower speeds.

Your're absolutely right about the availability; totally sucks. I just confirmed there is not a single car in the state of Ohio with DHP. Anyone in the Columbus area feeling like sharing the experience with me??
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 06:42 PM   #16
Bimmertrashjr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i

Nowhere near you, but I preferred it without as well. No regrets
Appreciate 2
      02-25-2019, 08:09 PM   #17
jamesms69
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmertrashjr View Post
Nowhere near you, but I preferred it without as well. No regrets
Thanks for the input. Same criticism as the other poster?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 08:32 PM   #18
bastula
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for the input. Same criticism as the other poster?
I wanted to try it in person as well on an M550i, but no cars even close with it near Chicagoland. Closest one I could see was maybe on the East Coast (~600 miles away).
Mediterranean Blue with Ivory White Nappa, Gray Poplar, Driving Assistance Plus, Premium, Exec, Parking Assistance, Heated Steering, Front+Rear Heated Seats, 20" Individual V-Spoke wheels 759i, 19" Style 786M winter wheels, Euro Amber Rear Turn Signals
335i Coupe - Retired
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 08:36 PM   #19
///M-er-gized
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i

I ordered my car without DHP. I decided on M Sport Package with M Sport suspension and other options over DHP. I thought I might be missing out on something good but maybe not.

Maybe you can get them to put 19s on car #2? Wouldn't hurt to ask.
      02-25-2019, 09:24 PM   #20
jamesms69
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M-er-gized View Post

Maybe you can get them to put 19s on car #2? Wouldn't hurt to ask.
They'll sell them to me, I'm sure. I have asked about this in the past. The dealers don't like to do it because the wheels are part of the factory order spec. Couldn't hurt to ask again.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 11:39 PM   #21
drjolokia
Second Lieutenant
Rep

My car has DHP. I love it. I feel like the car is planted more firmly to the ground with very little body roll cornering.

I test drove cars with and without dhp, and definitely preferred with.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 01:14 PM   #22
R2K
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan

I have DHP, I don't think it's necessary and takes some getting use to. The car didn't feel as predictable. In terms of handling, with and w/o are both great. Main difference is as advertised - turning radius on low speed "parking lot" maneuvers, high speed lane changes, and the antiroll bars keeps the car from leaning excessively - more apparent in the rear seat than driver. I test drove back to back with a 540i m sport package - Rest assured even the non DHP is still a tier above in handling than any other 5 series that's not the M5. I got the DHP because I found a deal on that particular stock.
Appreciate 0