BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions 540xi engine noise

03-20-2019, 10:52 AM   #1
Crysis21
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 540xi

540xi engine noise

Hey bimmerpost members,

After 4 years of driving a F10 530 diesel, I decided to get the G30 540 with a gas engine. I bought the car a month ago, at 5700KM (young used card) from a BMW dealer in Germany.

The car has now 10.800 KM and it developed an engine sound, like an used bearing, or a belt that is touching something, for about a week, in certain conditions. If I drive the car for more than half an hour, no matter the drivinig conditions, the engine will develop this extra noise between 2000 and 4000 RPM. The noise increases directly with the engine rotation, so it's clearly related to engine, not the speed I'm travelling.

One very important aspect, is that the noise is present mostly when you drive the car. With the car parked, you can't really tell if it's something wrong.

I tried to record the sound, but is not the most relevant video. I can try to make a better one.

I went to the dealer twice, as the car still has factory warranty. They acknowledged the noise, but they couldn't find anything. In fact, they only checked the engine belt and told me the service manual, has no informations for this kind of noise. They told me they will record the sound, send it to BMW and wait for other engines to fail in a similar way.:dunno:

The sad fact, is that my car is one of the few 540i the dealership got it's hands on, and they said they don't really have much experience with gas engines, as diesel is (or it was) everyone's favourite around here.

Can you help me with this issue? Did you happen to have a similar issue, so I can point them in the right direction? It's frustrating to know the car has an engine problem so soon.

Thank you,
Cristian
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 11:50 AM   #2
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Its a bit disappointing that they have to some degree "given up". Let's hope bmw come back with possibilities. I'd like to think they could offer you a loan car whilst they try and resolve the issue.
Do you think it's the engine itself or an ancillary item? Either way the noise suggest wear which means at some point in the future( could be weeks months or years) it may fail plus it's obviously irritating to you. The 540i should be quiet
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      03-20-2019, 06:27 PM   #3
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Its a bit disappointing that they have to some degree "given up". Let's hope bmw come back with possibilities. I'd like to think they could offer you a loan car whilst they try and resolve the issue.
Do you think it's the engine itself or an ancillary item? Either way the noise suggest wear which means at some point in the future( could be weeks months or years) it may fail plus it's obviously irritating to you. The 540i should be quiet
+1, seems a bit unprofessional on BMW dealer part
Appreciate 0