BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions 2021 G30 - Run Flat / Space Saver Spare Urgent Questions

01-22-2021, 02:07 PM   #23
Skyrider01
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550ix, 2020 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2cruise View Post
Would you agree that the trunk configuration in the m550 and 540i would be developed in the same way, meaning the cover would fit even if the kit was removed as you have showed in your excellent pictures?
I am almost certain the trunks are the same.
But even if they are not, the spare tire kit that would come with the 540i would be made in such a way that the cover would fit when the kit is removed. It is designed to work that way.
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2021, 02:20 PM   #24
luv2cruise
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 (ordering)

Thanks. I've made my decision to get the space saver spare for $150.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 02:38 PM   #25
jaylazy2020
Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW F82 Comp

Quote:
I realise now that the option is only $150 when spec ing it new

Which is great value as I'm looking for just the space saver jack kit sitting inside it to go in a tyre bag to one side of mine as I just took off runflats.

I'd easily pay $300 just for this as per picture below.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 02:44 PM   #26
Skyrider01
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550ix, 2020 330i

Quote:
Good decision! 👍🏻
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 04:06 PM   #27
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

Just so you have an alternative viewpoint......

I carry tire goop and a Dynaplug plugging kit in all my vehicles, neither of which has ever been used. I drove motorcycles all over the US for many years. No spare possible, and had no problems. I drove my Mini, my Porsche, and My M4 for years, no spare, and no problems. I drove my 2014 E350 from San Antonio to Pinehurst, NC with a nail in the rear tire, slowly loosing air, and back before I got it repaired. The collapsable spare in the E350 was never used when we sold it at 112,000 miles. Also, what are you going to do, on a road trip with a full trunk of luggage and stuff, with the damaged tire and wheel (which will be filthy, BTW) if you decide to change a tire on the road. If the small chance of a tire catastrophy occurs, yes, you will loose time and convenience. I use Michelin PS3ZP runflats on my M550. Love the ride and performance. No problems so far......knock on wood. YMMV. Just my alternative perspective. You gotta do what you gotta do.
Appreciate 2
      01-24-2021, 04:04 AM   #28
Nordboy
Rep
Drives: G31 BMW 540i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlothery View Post

I carry tire goop and a Dynaplug plugging kit in all my vehicles, neither of which has ever been used. I drove motorcycles all over the US for many years. No spare possible, and had no problems. I drove my Mini, my Porsche, and My M4 for years, no spare, and no problems. I drove my 2014 E350 from San Antonio to Pinehurst, NC with a nail in the rear tire, slowly loosing air, and back before I got it repaired. The collapsable spare in the E350 was never used when we sold it at 112,000 miles. Also, what are you going to do, on a road trip with a full trunk of luggage and stuff, with the damaged tire and wheel (which will be filthy, BTW) if you decide to change a tire on the road. If the small chance of a tire catastrophy occurs, yes, you will loose time and convenience. I use Michelin PS3ZP runflats on my M550. Love the ride and performance. No problems so far......knock on wood. YMMV. Just my alternative perspective. You gotta do what you gotta do.
I think a plugging kit is the way I’m going to go when I replace the runflats.

I have a roadside recovery policy, so in the worst case scenario, the car would get recovered on the back of a truck.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 09:51 AM   #29
paquet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport etc

Can someone share the link to buy this please?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 10:27 AM   #30
jaylazy2020
Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlothery View Post

That's a fair point. I had a non rft blow out at 100mph in southern France at 0300 when returning to Dublin from Barcelona.

Putting on the space saver was easy.

Having no boot space after putting the full sized wheel in the boot and then transferring all the food and bags my wife insisted I bring home to the rear seats( I travelled back by myself) was torture.

Four hours on space saver at 80kmh was even worse!

But thinking about it how would have run flats have coped?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 03:32 PM   #31
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i X M Sport

I have a plug kit and an 12v tire pump. If I can help myself I’d rather unless it’s a safety issue where I’m stuck. I hate to wait and I’ve plugged tires blown them up and driven to the dealer. I’ve got the tire / wheel insurance.

Last edited by jsf721; 02-04-2021 at 05:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 10:19 PM   #32
COBodom
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
What was the RFT experience you had?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylazy2020 View Post
But thinking about it how would have run flats have coped?
Last year I hit a pothole which resulted in what I can only describe as a cut on the side of my front left RFT. The tire deflated immediately. I aborted wherever I was going and embarked on approx. 40miles trip back home (it was a weekend evening).

I was driving at 20mph with zero air in the tire and hazards on all the time. Each time I took a turn I was praying to still have some rubber on the rim. Steering was really bad, car pulled very hard to the side.

I wrote this somewhere else too; while people will say distance and speed limits of the RFT vs donut are comparable, the actual driving experience on a RFT with no air is vastly different though. Its a drama if not a horror story. No, I couldn't pull over every so often and attempt to re-inflate the tire with a portable compressor. It was not that kinda slow leak.

Obviously, once you drive any distance on an RTF with no air that tire becomes instant garbage and needs a replacement. So that's added cost of the RFT ownership.

Get a flat bed and tow a car? Call ghostbusters and inquire about RFT tire availability at 7pm on a weekend evening? That's a mini project with slim to none chances of any success. I say no to that. I prefer to put a donut on and be mobile 20minutes later, albeit slow.

That's my experience and that's why my 2021 ride has the spare.

Last edited by COBodom; 01-26-2021 at 01:59 AM..
Appreciate 3
      01-26-2021, 08:00 AM   #33
Junebug85
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive - M Sport Plus

This thread has caught my attention as I'm now on non RFT tyres.

I do have a repair kit as well as the tyre gels and pump... but wouldn't mind carrying a space saver kit to get me out of bother if something happened.

A quick search online has led me to find the below for £184.95

Looking to see if I can find a part number for the BMW one.

Just wondering though, will the depth of a space saver wheel clear the blue m sport brake calipers on the front?
Attached Images

G30 540i xDrive / BM3 Stage 2+ / Remus Exhaust / MSS Springs / MPS4S / 20" BBS CI-R / Eibach Spacers / xHP Stg 3 / MST Intake / Lots of Gloss Black
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 09:41 AM   #34
jaylazy2020
Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junebug85 View Post

I do have a repair kit as well as the tyre gels and pump... but wouldn't mind carrying a space saver kit to get me out of bother if something happened.

Just wondering though, will the depth of a space saver wheel clear the blue m sport brake calipers on the front?
I'm in exactly same situation as you.

Finally got PS4s on and it's like a different car

I've a gel kit and an inflator but my boot is never so full that a 19 inch space saver wouldn't fit.

I'd love to got the BMW oem kit with new floor etc but I think the boot would then be too shallow.

From my research the 19 inch space savers clear the m sport larger calliper.

I saw one 20 inch space saver on eBay

One tip though. Avoid the jack included with those kits

I got a similar speck one off Amazon and not was it hard to crank up but it started to tilt!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 10:19 AM   #35
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by COBodom View Post
Last year I hit a pothole which resulted in what I can only describe as a cut on the side of my front left RFT. The tire deflated immediately. I aborted wherever I was going and embarked on approx. 40miles trip back home (it was a weekend evening).

I was driving at 20mph with zero air in the tire and hazards on all the time. Each time I took a turn I was praying to still have some rubber on the rim. Steering was really bad, car pulled very hard to the side.

I wrote this somewhere else too; while people will say distance and speed limits of the RFT vs donut are comparable, the actual driving experience on a RFT with no air is vastly different though. Its a drama if not a horror story. No, I couldn't pull over every so often and attempt to re-inflate the tire with a portable compressor. It was not that kinda slow leak.

Obviously, once you drive any distance on an RTF with no air that tire becomes instant garbage and needs a replacement. So that's added cost of the RFT ownership.

Get a flat bed and tow a car? Call ghostbusters and inquire about RFT tire availability at 7pm on a weekend evening? That's a mini project with slim to none chances of any success. I say no to that. I prefer to put a donut on and be mobile 20minutes later, albeit slow.

That's my experience and that's why my 2021 ride has the spare.
Thanks for sharing your experience.

The one time I've used a donut spare was on my previous car, '14 MB C300, but it was an LCI of their W204 platform which when it launched pre-LCI did come with a full size spare tire. So the donut space in the trunk had space to accommodate the full wheel which is where it went for my trip to the dealer.

Although my 530e has no ability to accommodate the spare kit. My biggest gripe with it is you now need to store a dirty tire in your trunk soiling up your luggage and trunk carpet.

Which RFT did you have on your car at the time? That sounds pretty scary that it drove so poorly at 20MPH when they are rated for up to 50MPH like a donut. Gives me a bit of pause on what I may encounter if I had to rely on my RFT.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 11:07 AM   #36
Junebug85
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive - M Sport Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylazy2020 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junebug85 View Post

I'm in exactly same situation as you.

Finally got PS4s on and it's like a different car

I've a gel kit and an inflator but my boot is never so full that a 19 inch space saver wouldn't fit.

I'd love to got the BMW oem kit with new floor etc but I think the boot would then be too shallow.

From my research the 19 inch space savers clear the m sport larger calliper.

I saw one 20 inch space saver on eBay

One tip though. Avoid the jack included with those kits

I got a similar speck one off Amazon and not was it hard to crank up but it started to tilt!
Maybe one of these might be better... extra weight to carry and takes up more room, but maybe the safer option compared to the other jack.

G30 540i xDrive / BM3 Stage 2+ / Remus Exhaust / MSS Springs / MPS4S / 20" BBS CI-R / Eibach Spacers / xHP Stg 3 / MST Intake / Lots of Gloss Black
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 04:36 PM   #37
COBodom
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience.

The one time I've used a donut spare was on my previous car, '14 MB C300, but it was an LCI of their W204 platform which when it launched pre-LCI did come with a full size spare tire. So the donut space in the trunk had space to accommodate the full wheel which is where it went for my trip to the dealer.

Although my 530e has no ability to accommodate the spare kit. My biggest gripe with it is you now need to store a dirty tire in your trunk soiling up your luggage and trunk carpet.

Which RFT did you have on your car at the time? That sounds pretty scary that it drove so poorly at 20MPH when they are rated for up to 50MPH like a donut. Gives me a bit of pause on what I may encounter if I had to rely on my RFT.
Yeah, I am gonna get one of those tire totes to carry the dirty tire in the trunk.

On my old 2018 540 msport I had 245/40R-19 CONTINENTAL PROCONTACT GX SSR. Side note, I now have Good Year RFTs and they seem to be louder.

I actually don't mind RFTs, but I do mind RFTs with no spare. Contis didn't bubble on me and ride quality was just fine. I recognize RFT can offer convince, but ONLY in the event of a slow leak though. Any puncture which results in rapid air loss will be a disaster. That's why I opt for RTF + spare and If I ever wanna toss the RFT that spare becomes even more relevant.

In the past I also had a middle of the tire punctures in RFT (aka slow leaks) and yeah I could drive fine, stop on occasion to re-inflate. I also had RFTs plugged before as long as the puncture wasn't on the sidewall.

This is how the tire looked like some 40 miles later:

Name:  rft1.JPG
Views: 1648
Size:  35.2 KB

Name:  rft2.JPG
Views: 1650
Size:  52.0 KB
      01-26-2021, 05:17 PM   #38
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by COBodom View Post
Yeah, I am gonna get one of those tire totes to carry the dirty tire in the trunk.

On my old 2018 540 msport I had 245/40R-19 CONTINENTAL PROCONTACT GX SSR. Side note, I now have Good Year RFTs and they seem to be louder.

I actually don't mind RFTs, but I do mind RFTs with no spare. Contis didn't bubble on me and ride quality was just fine. I recognize RFT can offer convince, but ONLY in the event of a slow leak though. Any puncture which results in rapid air loss will be a disaster. That's why I opt for RTF + spare and If I ever wanna toss the RFT that spare becomes even more relevant.

In the past I also had a middle of the tire punctures in RFT (aka slow leaks) and yeah I could drive fine, stop on occasion to re-inflate. I also had RFTs plugged before as long as the puncture wasn't on the sidewall.

This is how the tire looked like some 40 miles later:

Attachment 2514696

Attachment 2514697
Tire looks good considering and no rim damage which is good!

I skipped the 19” wheels for this reason. As much as I would have liked them the roads here in Philly aren’t good. I had a loaner G30 from the dealer with 19” wheels and it had a bubble in the tire!

A slow leak would be good on a RFT or a non-RFT. I had a slow leak in my last car on an 800 mile drive home. Got the low pressure light about 100 miles in and nursed it home stopping every so often to add some air worked out well.

I have never had a tire plugged. Just always swapped out to a new tire. The last car was a nightmare with tires. Went through maybe 10 tires in a year or two. It was nuts. I had a tire warranty that was a good idea due to it. All went away when I went to DWS06 (except the one nail issue I just mentioned). 90% of the time my issues were bubbles though.

So far, no bubbles or tire problems. I came from the factory with Goodyear tires and I find them louder than my Continental DWS06 I had on my last car. Will have to decide what to swap them to when they wear down.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 07:26 PM   #39
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

Recently changed to non-runflat and absolutely love the improved ride and handling. Got into trouble hitting a pothole in complete darkness/rain/construction coming out of the Shell station. The tire couldn't get fixed with the inflate-a-kit because the sidewall had a thumb-sized cut.

Had to get it towed to my house by the completely free road hazard warranty on the new Michelins and took the tire back the next day to Discount Tire where I had reluctantly purchased full hazard protection at a discount.

Having bad luck makes all choices, except perhaps a full size spare, not ideal. I would, if I was in the market, get the $150 donut spare kit in a minute.... and keep any hazard insurance as a "must buy."
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 05:12 PM   #40
BEH
Rep
Drives: Volvo

Consumer Reports recommends “airMan ResQ Pro +”

Last edited by BEH; 01-28-2021 at 07:28 AM.. Reason: Spelling and added +
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 10:08 PM   #41
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEH View Post
Consumer Reports recommends “airMam ResQ Pro”
Name:  IMG_2772.jpg
Views: 1532
Size:  210.4 KB

That's the one that didn't work - the hole was too big. Its nice and fits perfectly in my F10 trunk compartment on the right. I got a replacement canister from Griot's garage.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 06:50 AM   #42
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

When I lacerated the sidewall of my Goodyear RFT driving up I 35 to DFW, by hitting a huge pothole, it went to zero pressure immediately. I slowed to 50, and it drove fine until I could exit I 35 in Waco, and navagate to a Discount Tire, where a cheap Nitto non-RFT was fitted to get me on my way. Even with a large laceration in the sidewall, the RFT drove fine, with no control problems and no rim damage. That was my second Goodyear failure, and I immediately ordered the Michelin PS3ZPs, which are still on my car.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 10:47 AM   #43
Mac B
Private
England
Rep
Drives: 520D SE saloon (G30)

The simplest and most bootspace-efficient solution

1. Buy the spacesaver spare kit with the new car
2. Discard the high floor panel
3. Use the velcro straps from the kit to position the spacesaver wheel on the
real boot floor, thus losing only about 15% of the full boot space.
4. Carry a plastic dustbin liner in the boot to put the dirty punctured wheel in if
needed.

I did this when I bought my new 5 series 4 years ago - it has been the ideal solution.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 11:40 AM   #44
mffarrell
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550i Porsche 911 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyrider01 View Post
OK, here you go.

With the spare tire installed:

Spare set up removed

As you can see, when you remove the spare, the floorboard drops about 6 inches towards the opening of the trunk and closer to 8 inches on the inside. And with the seats down, the floor and seatbacks are level, although the seats do tilt up several inches.
Are the cargo hooks installed with the spare tire option?
Appreciate 0