BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Photography/Videography Gear Recommendation

05-17-2018, 08:01 PM   #1
MaximusB
Major
Rep
Drives: 13 Frozen White E92

Gear Recommendation

My wife and I will be going to Maldives in January (will be summer over there), so I’m trying to decide what gear and equipment to bring. We do have a 20kg per person weight limit as we have to take a float plane from Malé to our resort. So I would like to pack on the lighter side, but on the other hand I want to make sure I have enough gear to cover everything because it is freaking Maldives! Don’t know when (or if) we’ll have another opportunity to go back.

Here is what I’m thinking of bringing:

- Go Pro and all the accessories such as diving case, selfie stick, remote and etc.
- my Canon 70D, relatively inexpensive and somewhat light weight.
- 24-70 F2.8L II with circular polarized filter
- 70-300 F4-5.6
- Tripod
- MacBook Air 13”

Photos wise the goal is to cover as much as possible. Hoping to capture the Milky Way, I can hook the camera upto the laptop to set a long exposure.

Question is should I invest in a wide angle given I’ll be using a cropped sensor? Anything else you guys recommend?

Unfortunately the resort we’re going to don’t allow drones.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 12:18 PM   #2
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

I would stick to the 70D and 24-70L along with a table top tripod for Astro shots. A GoPro may be fun but I'd leave everything else at home and just enjoy the trip. I tend to just take my Canon G15 and not get caught up in documenting the trip, it's called a vacation.
      05-22-2018, 12:09 PM   #3
MaximusB
Major
Rep
Drives: 13 Frozen White E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
I would stick to the 70D and 24-70L along with a table top tripod for Astro shots. A GoPro may be fun but I'd leave everything else at home and just enjoy the trip. I tend to just take my Canon G15 and not get caught up in documenting the trip, it's called a vacation.
Only thing with the 24-70L on the 70D is the cropped frame, so it is not as wide as I would like for landscape scenery shots. I could borrow my friend's full frame to go with the 24-70L, but I find a full frame body with the L lens a bit too heavy to lug around. I did that last year on a trip to Hawaii and my wrist was hurting by the 3rd day.
Appreciate 0