BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications Getting a code for my exhaust flaps

03-11-2019, 02:11 PM   #1
fan51
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Getting a code for my exhaust flaps

Has anyone that's done a muffler delete or aftermarket muffler come across this issue?

I'm running straight pipes so the exhaust flaps (along with the entire muffler) are out obviously. The plug is not connected to anything so Im getting a code.

Any fix for this?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 03:48 PM   #2
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fan51 View Post
Has anyone that's done a muffler delete or aftermarket muffler come across this issue?

I'm running straight pipes so the exhaust flaps (along with the entire muffler) are out obviously. The plug is not connected to anything so Im getting a code.

Any fix for this?
It's probably because of the lack of O2 sensors. You can go get a cheap ODB adapter at any auto parts store to read the code.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 09:49 PM   #3
Norris83
CEO
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850I Gran Coupe Xdrive

Quote:

Any fix for this?
You need the exhaust flap actuator plug. The ecu is looking to move the flap & there's any. This plug should fix it. Unless you have taken out the stock cats too.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...r/18302411427/
2018 M550I Xdrive Alpine White on Cognac Leather, Premium Enhanced Package, Drivers Assitance Plus, Remote Parking/display key, massage seats, 21 wheels style 629 Black Chrome. M performance brakes in blue, M performance carbon fibre diffuser, m performance side skirt extensions, m performance front lip. 45% tint, roof wrapped in gloss black.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 01:32 PM   #4
fan51
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
It's probably because of the lack of O2 sensors. You can go get a cheap ODB adapter at any auto parts store to read the code.
I have it. The reason I'm getting the code is because the stock muffler is now gone. I'm running straight pipes and the plug for the actuator that plugs into the OEM muffler isn't plugged into anything.

The code I'm getting is "138104 and 138102 / Permanent / Exhaust flap; activation: Open circuit"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norris83 View Post
You need the exhaust flap actuator plug. The ecu is looking to move the flap & there's any. This plug should fix it. Unless you have taken out the stock cats too.

Thank you! I'll be ordering this regardless, however, are you certain it's designed to keep the car from throwing a code? It sounds more like it's just a protective cover to avoid the plug from accumulating road debris, etc. I say this because the product description says "Protects the actuator plug from the elements when using a non valved exhaust." - It makes no mention of anything related to error codes, etc. I'll be ordering them today regardless but I'm hoping these are more than just a plastic cover and they actually do trick the car into thinking the flaps are still there and functioning properly.

Either way, thank you for your help. Much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 01:50 PM   #5
fan51
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

So I just got off the phone with the ECS. I did order the dummy plugs, however, that's all they are - plastic covers to protect the connector from getting dirty. There is no electrical component to these plastic parts to trick the car into thinking the OEM flaps are there and working. This seems like a coding issue. Off to the coding section of the forum I go...
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 01:55 PM   #6
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
I have it. The reason I'm getting the code is because the stock muffler is now gone. I'm running straight pipes and the plug for the actuator that plugs into the OEM muffler isn't plugged into anything.

The code I'm getting is "138104 and 138102 / Permanent / Exhaust flap; activation: Open circuit"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norris83 View Post

Thank you! I'll be ordering this regardless, however, are you certain it's designed to keep the car from throwing a code? It sounds more like it's just a protective cover to avoid the plug from accumulating road debris, etc. I say this because the product description says "Protects the actuator plug from the elements when using a non valved exhaust." - It makes no mention of anything related to error codes, etc. I'll be ordering them today regardless but I'm hoping these are more than just a plastic cover and they actually do trick the car into thinking the flaps are still there and functioning properly.

Either way, thank you for your help. Much appreciated.
Good to know. No shortages of sensors on these cars!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 06:22 PM   #7
Swampman
Swampman
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40 - Glacier Silver

Remove fuse 203. On G01 leaves exhaust flap open without throwing code
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 10:42 PM   #8
Highflyingbimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i msport, M3CX

Quote:

Any fix for this?
Do you have a video clip with the muffler delete?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 12:46 AM   #9
ericplotnikov
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 bmw 340i

Quote:

Any fix for this?
Did you find a fix for this i am getting code 138104 after a muffler delete on my 340 and can’t find a fix
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 04:54 AM   #10
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G31 540i M Sport Edition

Quote:

Any fix for this?
Dummy flap actuator BMW part No. 18302411427 has a resister built in so car thinks the circuit is still connected. About £20 here in UK. Generally used when exhaust has no flaps.

Not sure if the straight pipes will have an effect on anything else though.

Used on these vehicles as well......

Name:  Screenshot 2024-02-14 at 10-49-45 RealOEM.com - Part Search.png
Views: 607
Size:  56.5 KB
Appreciate 0