BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs detailing products to use?

04-30-2019, 09:22 AM   #1
niju321
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 540i xDrive

detailing products to use?

Just picked up my 540 yesterday. The dealer appears to have detailed it, but I plan to re-wax the car on my own in a few weeks. What products do you use for your cars? I have been using Collinite 845 wax but would love suggestions on microfiber, wax applicator, clay bar, etc. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 07:04 PM   #2
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by niju321 View Post
Just picked up my 540 yesterday. The dealer appears to have detailed it, but I plan to re-wax the car on my own in a few weeks. What products do you use for your cars? I have been using Collinite 845 wax but would love suggestions on microfiber, wax applicator, clay bar, etc. Thanks!
Check out Sonax products. Not everything Sonax is top notch, but overall their products are very good.

I like:
Sonax car wash
Sonax full effect wheel cleaner (and the new stronger version, if needed)
Sonax iron remover (instead of clay bar)
Sonax polymer netshield sealant
Sonax spray and seal to keep car looking good between polymer netshield applications

Follow the above and you won't need to do 4 hour wax jobs (with your collinites) more than once every 18 months, if not longer. Sonax also has great manual polish/waxes, but I rarely bother. I'm too old for this work with little long term results! Lol

Foam applicators work well
For washing - Rag Company cyclone microfiber mitts are awesome (Amazon)
I use a Mothers wheel brush and the BMW oem wheel brushes to get into the grooves.

Www.detailersdomain.com has good stuff too.

Enjoy your new car.
niju32183.50
      04-30-2019, 08:11 PM   #3
saporitj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540ix M Sport

So I tried the Sonax quick detailer and didn't like it at all but I then used the WolfGang quick detailer and loved it. It leaves the surface almost slippery and that's with just the dealers prep.
I've tried the Sonax wheel cleaner (stronger version) and love it so you have to pick & chose.
I purchased a bunch of different WolfGang products but haven't tried them yet except the rinse less wash which is very nice especially in the winter. You can clean car in garage without house. I use the Costco microfiber towels. You can buy a bundle for around $17 so you can use and toss if you want at that price. We wash them with chemical guys detergent so we can get 2-3 uses before we toss.
I have a hole thread on leather cleaners I'll post here.
BMW Leather Maintenance https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1577480
niju32183.50
      04-30-2019, 09:04 PM   #4
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by saporitj View Post
So I tried the Sonax quick detailer and didn't like it at all but I then used the WolfGang quick detailer and loved it. It leaves the surface almost slippery and that's with just the dealers prep.
I've tried the Sonax wheel cleaner (stronger version) and love it so you have to pick & chose.
I purchased a bunch of different WolfGang products but haven't tried them yet except the rinse less wash which is very nice especially in the winter. You can clean car in garage without house. I use the Costco microfiber towels. You can buy a bundle for around $17 so you can use and toss if you want at that price. We wash them with chemical guys detergent so we can get 2-3 uses before we toss.
The Adams quick detailer is pretty good. Haven't tried anything from Wolfgang but thanks for the tip.
niju32183.50
      05-01-2019, 08:35 AM   #5
niju321
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Check out Sonax products. Not everything Sonax is top notch, but overall their products are very good.

I like:
Sonax car wash
Sonax full effect wheel cleaner (and the new stronger version, if needed)
Sonax iron remover (instead of clay bar)
Sonax polymer netshield sealant
Sonax spray and seal to keep car looking good between polymer netshield applications

Follow the above and you won't need to do 4 hour wax jobs (with your collinites) more than once every 18 months, if not longer. Sonax also has great manual polish/waxes, but I rarely bother. I'm too old for this work with little long term results! Lol

Foam applicators work well
For washing - Rag Company cyclone microfiber mitts are awesome (Amazon)
I use a Mothers wheel brush and the BMW oem wheel brushes to get into the grooves.

Www.detailersdomain.com has good stuff too.

Enjoy your new car.
Thank you! These are very helpful suggestions--I do like the idea of saving time. Will check out detailersdomain as well.

Quote:
Thanks! Will try the wolfgang quick detail. The leather thread is very helpful--looks like you had good results with the BMW leather care products.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 10:49 AM   #6
Smithcinema
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 x5

Only use chemical guys they make some great products
Appreciate 1
niju32183.50
      05-01-2019, 06:03 PM   #7
niju321
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithcinema View Post
Only use chemical guys they make some great products
Thanks, will check them out
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 08:39 AM   #8
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
I must be the laziest person ever, I just try to find a few hand wash place I can trust...
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 09:34 AM   #9
saporitj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540ix M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post
I must be the laziest person ever, I just try to find a few hand wash place I can trust...
You said it!! We're is the fun in that. Lol
      05-02-2019, 06:36 PM   #10
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Well in my defense I'm in NYC, can't just wash car in my own drive way (doesn't exist), or side walk (no water...) so realistic option here is always someone else wash it...
Appreciate 1
NGT25406.50
      05-03-2019, 07:38 AM   #11
bigdaveindubai
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i

Adams, chemical guys, meguiars, mgm hydro pf22 foamer, wonder wafers. Anything from Adams, chemical guys and meguiars will get the job done and do it well. Be sure to get a proper foam cannon and pressure washer, makes the job so much easier. Also use cover all tire shine for your tires, you will thank me later. Order giant micro fiber towels from amazon, they are the bomb to dry your car.
2012 Boss 302 #2147
2017 Shelby GT350
2017 F250 KR
Appreciate 1
niju32183.50
      05-03-2019, 09:10 AM   #12
niju321
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well in my defense I'm in NYC, can't just wash car in my own drive way (doesn't exist), or side walk (no water...) so realistic option here is always someone else wash it...
Makes sense to me...probably have quite a few great detailers there anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaveindubai View Post
Adams, chemical guys, meguiars, mgm hydro pf22 foamer, wonder wafers. Anything from Adams, chemical guys and meguiars will get the job done and do it well. Be sure to get a proper foam cannon and pressure washer, makes the job so much easier. Also use cover all tire shine for your tires, you will thank me later. Order giant micro fiber towels from amazon, they are the bomb to dry your car.
Thank you! Will check these out
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 08:57 AM   #13
Jeremycloud
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 550i

Garage List
I've gone crazy buying towels since I bought my car. Microfiber madness, while expensive, has the best towels I've used by far.

Also, collonite over jescar powerlock has been amazing.
Appreciate 1
niju32183.50
      05-16-2019, 12:51 PM   #14
niju321
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremycloud View Post
I've gone crazy buying towels since I bought my car. Microfiber madness, while expensive, has the best towels I've used by far.

Thanks! Will check them out--where did you buy the towels? I can't find a dealer near me
Didn't think about using a sealant but makes a lot of sense, will add that to my plan
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 03:26 PM   #15
Jeremycloud
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 550i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by niju321 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremycloud View Post

Thanks! Will check them out--where did you buy the towels? I can't find a dealer near me
Didn't think about using a sealant but makes a lot of sense, will add that to my plan
Sky's the limit car care is the US dealer - they are at carpro-us.com ... Adam's drying towels are great too if you like the waffle weave type.
Appreciate 2
      05-17-2019, 09:19 PM   #16
Medicaptain
Private
Rep
Drives: 535i

You all need to check out obsessedgarage.com and follow his recommendations. His YouTube videos show you how to use all of the products he suggests and sells on his website. I follow his Jescars/Colinite/beadmaker process and the wife's Jet Black 2016 535 looks amazing all of the time. I cannot wait to do the same process on her incoming 550xi in Azurite Black.

Everything OG sells is what he has found to "be the best product" in its class and I have to agree with everything he does. I have first hand knowledge and his process/products makes it a breeze to keep one of the hardest colors ever looking incredible.
Appreciate 1
niju32183.50
      05-18-2019, 06:57 PM   #17
Dobie Dog
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 F97 X3M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medicaptain View Post
You all need to check out obsessedgarage.com
      05-20-2019, 09:51 AM   #18
niju321
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medicaptain View Post
You all need to check out obsessedgarage.com and follow his recommendations. His YouTube videos show you how to use all of the products he suggests and sells on his website. I follow his Jescars/Colinite/beadmaker process and the wife's Jet Black 2016 535 looks amazing all of the time. I cannot wait to do the same process on her incoming 550xi in Azurite Black.

Everything OG sells is what he has found to "be the best product" in its class and I have to agree with everything he does. I have first hand knowledge and his process/products makes it a breeze to keep one of the hardest colors ever looking incredible.
Great site--thank you! Supplies are coming in tomorrow and I'm getting to work either tomorrow or Wednesday before the weather gets too hot. Next step will be the interior, though I'm tempted to just use a damp cloth for that as I don't want any chemical odor there
Appreciate 0