BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Walk-away lock/unlock

02-24-2021, 06:54 AM   #1
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Walk-away lock/unlock

Morning 5er folk,

My SO has a 2020 530e and is unhappy that his car doesn't have the walk-up lock/walk-away unlock feature that full iDrive7 cars do. Yes, we know that this is a scary feature if you're in a scary place, but he is a home Dialysis nurse and often has his arms full approaching the car. It sounds like a small thing, but it's a big deal to him.

Is there any way to enable it on his car? Have there been any iDrive updates we could have the dealer load? Is it code-able?

Thanks in advance for any info!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 09:09 AM   #2
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Not a feature you can add to the MY2020 car as it requires "SP18" in BMW speak which includes a few hardware changes to accommodate it...

Although I'm not sure how he would open the door with his hands full even with that feature. If he has the hands free trunk he can unload his items into the trunk and grabbing the door handle as normal will kick in the unlock.

For me, I'm glad my car lacks the new feature as I street park in a major city. Every time my keys got bumped in the house the car would probably unlock...

Sorry for the bad news though...
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 09:11 AM   #3
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
Not a feature you can add to the MY2020 car as it requires "SP18" in BMW speak which includes a few hardware changes to accommodate it...

Although I'm not sure how he would open the door with his hands full even with that feature. If he has the hands free trunk he can unload his items into the trunk and grabbing the door handle as normal will kick in the unlock.

For me, I'm glad my car lacks the new feature as I street park in a major city. Every time my keys got bumped in the house the car would probably unlock...

Sorry for the bad news though...
I'm not actually sure how he does, either. There's a bit of logic missing in his annoyance over this that I'm not digging into to keep happiness in the home.

Thanks for the info, very appreciated!
Appreciate 0