BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis Tire shop scraped up all of my brand new wheels

01-24-2021, 11:50 AM   #1
Beerflakes
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5, 2021 M550i (soon)

Tire shop scraped up all of my brand new wheels

Had a bit of bad luck a day or two after taking delivery of my new m550i with 20" wheels.

First, I ended up getting a screw in my stock tires before I was able to replace them with all seasons. I was able to get into a local chain tire shop ASAP to get them swapped out yesterday.

Upon inspecting this morning, I see that they've scratched/dinged up the edges of all four wheels to where the paint is flaking off. There are a couple small dings as well. They are closed today, but should they be liable for fixing this? Anything I can do?

Last edited by Beerflakes; 01-24-2021 at 11:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 12:14 PM   #2
Rotherd31
User Name
Rep
Drives: 2023 G83 BG/FR/ 963M wheels

Looking at your pics makes me want to Absolutely they are liable! They've gouged up both the polished surfaces and the painted. I'd start by demanding new factory OE wheels since your car is brand new. I'd guess they don't have a good wheel repair person either. Just a suggestion, but I ALWAYS do a detailed inspection before ever leaving a tire shop. A Discount Tire store damaged one of my M4 wheels once and they offered to repair and if I wasn't satisfied with the results that they would buy me a new one. FYI, they had an excellent wheel repair person that the shop used. Mine was repaired like new. Keep us posted on your outcome.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 12:58 PM   #3
crypto
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 CS

Holy shit that sucks. I was literally searching for a place to install my Contis earlier today worried about this exact case. Now I think I'll do a video walk around before I drop off. 😬

Yeah go back in person and discuss this with a manager or whomever. Maybe need to wait till tomorrow for that. At the end of the day you need them to agree they did it. If they're dicks or shady they're gonna argue with you. Otherwise hopefully they agree and come up with a resolution.

The second two pics kind of look like light curbing vs what I'd expect a tire mounting device to do. If you want I can ask my buddy who has a repair shop and tire mounter what he thinks.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 01:07 PM   #4
MLIFEM550
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M550XI

I know it's too late now but I always inspect my car every time after any service is done. I even walk around with employe so both can go over and see if there is anything on the car wheels etc. if this shop is cool they will take care of it if not they will tell you it's your fault . I hope not. Worst case you can fix it not a big deal 150 bucks per wheel. I wouldn't be too upset there's always solution to any problem.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 01:34 PM   #5
Beerflakes
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks guys for the input. I left a message with them today to give a heads up on the damage, on all four wheels, all the way around each wheel. I explained that the vehicle was literally two days old.

I agree, they should be replacing these as they’re brand new. I’m hoping it works in my favor that this is part of a larger chain of tire stores and not just a small business. Amazing to me that after damaging one wheel they kept going with the rest of them!

I think they’d have a difficult time claiming ignorance on a two day old vehicle, but I will see.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 11:15 AM   #6
Beerflakes
Lieutenant
Rep

Update -- the tire store manager was very professional, apologized, and vowed to make things right. If they can't get me back to new condition via restoration (I doubt it), they'll need to buy me a new set of wheels.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 10:19 PM   #7
crypto
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 CS

Not that this helps but I would like to report that I had my DWS06's put on and these Gooodyear RFT taken off. I referenced this post in general and my fear with the wheels. They assured me they'd take great care of the car and then walked me out to check them out/show off their work when I came back to pick up the car. Happy to report.. this did not happen to me. I am interested to hear the final resolution though!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 12:17 PM   #8
THEX5BEAST
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5D X Drive/ 2018 540D M

Garage List
I've used Costco for two BMW tire sets. Very professional. Even torqued to proper spec without any damage. Perfectly balanced and I'm back every 5k for my free balance and rotation. Highly recommend them.
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2021, 08:28 PM   #9
Norris83
CEO
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850I Gran Coupe Xdrive

Some tires shops either don't have the right equipment 20" run flat tires and the technicians just don't give a crap.
2018 M550I Xdrive Alpine White on Cognac Leather, Premium Enhanced Package, Drivers Assitance Plus, Remote Parking/display key, massage seats, 21 wheels style 629 Black Chrome. M performance brakes in blue, M performance carbon fibre diffuser, m performance side skirt extensions, m performance front lip. 45% tint, roof wrapped in gloss black.
Appreciate 0