BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis Considering a Tire Switch - Advice Requested

02-07-2021, 07:46 PM   #1
turbobeagle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 540i M Sport

Considering a Tire Switch - Advice Requested

2020 540i RWD M Sport (no adaptive suspension)

In a previous thread, I mentioned that I downsized to 18" 634 wheels from 20". The 18s were take-offs that came with Goodyear Eagle Sport Run-on-Flat tires. They have about 4k miles on them, with lots of tread left.

I'm considering swapping those tires out with these goals:
1. Reduce road noise. These Eagles seem to have quite a lot of roar over a rough stretch of highway that I spend time on. My other car is a Sorento and it's significantly quieter on that same stretch (with Michelin CrossClimate2).
2. Improve ride comfort over bumps. I'm not unhappy with the current setup, but if I could, I wouldn't mind softening it even further.

I was thinking of these possibilities:
1. Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 (maybe I'll try the new "Plus" LCI that just came out)
2. Pirelli Cinurato P7 All Season Plus

Those are obviously two different categories of tire, but I really am wondering if dropping down to a Grand Touring All Season will be more suitable for me. The DWS06 will have tons of grip, but I suspect I'll never use it. The Pirellis seem to be the best tires out there in terms of comfort/noise.

Things I don't care about:
1. Price
2. Tread Life
3. Snow Performance (SF Bay Area, and the Sorento does the Tahoe runs)
4. Canyon carving. In my head, I'd like to think that I will hit up Skyline Blvd and let her rip, but the truth is that all I do is take a freeway on-ramp at speed once in a while.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 03:01 PM   #2
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

Don't know if they come in your size, but I have always used Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ on other sedans driven by my wife, and loved them. Quiet, very good performance wet/dry/cold, and they lasted well.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 06:23 PM   #3
turbobeagle
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlothery View Post
Don't know if they come in your size, but I have always used Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ on other sedans driven by my wife, and loved them. Quiet, very good performance wet/dry/cold, and they lasted well.
Thanks, I've been reading up on the latest version of that tire (now at "4"), and it does seem to be the rockstar of its category. I'm a bit concerned that it will be harsh/noisy, but glad to hear that it's quiet for you.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2021, 09:12 AM   #4
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Why not get the Michelin CrossClimate2 for this car too, if you like it on your other car?!

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 01:29 PM   #5
turbobeagle
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmib View Post
Why not get the Michelin CrossClimate2 for this car too, if you like it on your other car?!
That's a good point and I'm considering it. One of thing I would say is that they are quite a bit more expensive (even for Michelin) and as mentioned the additional winter capability you get for that premium is wasted on this vehicle. That said, price is not a main priority, but I suspect I can get something that isn't snow-ready that beats the Crossclimate for the qualities I am targeting for this vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 02:29 PM   #6
aerof16
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i

I have the Pirellis on my G30 (they came on the car when I purchased) and I was surprised when I found out they were run flats after the test drive. They do drive nice and the noise is minimal. I've only put 2500 miles on them so far, so no idea how well they wear.

My points of reference are my Hellcat with Michelin Pilot Sport 4s and my F30 with some all season Toyo tire. I think the Pirellis are as smooth as the MPS4s I had on the Hellcat and probably a bit quieter too, though that is somewhat difficult to say because the Cat is kind of loud to start with.

I thought I'd learn to hate the run flats, because I am a bit of a tire snob, but so far I am pleasantly surprised with them. Not planning to swap them out until I have to and I may go back to this tire vs. a non run flat Michelin.

I should add that I also do not have the adaptive suspension or whatever it's called.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 05:50 PM   #7
turbobeagle
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerof16 View Post
I have the Pirellis on my G30 (they came on the car when I purchased) and I was surprised when I found out they were run flats after the test drive. They do drive nice and the noise is minimal. I've only put 2500 miles on them so far, so no idea how well they wear.

My points of reference are my Hellcat with Michelin Pilot Sport 4s and my F30 with some all season Toyo tire. I think the Pirellis are as smooth as the MPS4s I had on the Hellcat and probably a bit quieter too, though that is somewhat difficult to say because the Cat is kind of loud to start with.

I thought I'd learn to hate the run flats, because I am a bit of a tire snob, but so far I am pleasantly surprised with them. Not planning to swap them out until I have to and I may go back to this tire vs. a non run flat Michelin.

I should add that I also do not have the adaptive suspension or whatever it's called.
That's really helpful, thanks. Just to confirm, are yours the P7 or P Zero?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 07:47 PM   #8
aerof16
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobeagle View Post
That's really helpful, thanks. Just to confirm, are yours the P7 or P Zero?
P7s on 19" 635 wheels.

My only gripe with the Michelins is I believe they are louder at highway speeds, but they're on my Hellcat so it's difficult to tell if they ARE louder or if there is just more sound deadening in the 540i. Otherwise, the MPS4s is an amazing tire.

P-Zeros are OEM equipment on Hellcats (at least non-widebody) and they are universally hated in that community. The tire was good for daily driving, quiet and comfortable but the quality control was terrible. I purchased a brand new set of four from the dealer when I had the car in for an alignment and my car always had a consistent vibration around 70-80mph. You could rotate the tires and the vibration would change but the conclusion was that 2 of the 4 were bad from the factory. We balanced them a million times, could never get it to go away. I'd swap my other set of rims onto the car, with the MPS4s tires, and the car would drive like a dream.

They were warrantied and I sold them with my spare set of rims. After doing some research, there were A LOT of complaints on the Hellcat forums about those tires.

Like I said, I am a bit of a tire snob, and I don't know if I could find a tire that rides as well as the P7. I drive my G30 as a luxury car though, not a performance car haha, so no comments on how the P7 does when it's at its limits. I will likely try a non run-flat Michelin when these tires need to be replaced but, if I am not happy with it, I will come right back to the P7s.

EDIT to ADD: The Hellcat Michelins were on a 20" rim.
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2021, 10:58 AM   #9
Warp Ten
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540xi

Don't know if this has been posted here; I can't find it if so. It is a fairly sound, balanced independent review of several High Performance All Season tires with a companion video about their performance in snow. I found it quite informative, although they did not test the run flat versions of the tires. I have the Michelin A/S 3+ ZPs on my C7 Z06 and like them alot. Will put them on the 540 xi when the OEM Goodyears wear out. --Bob

Dry/wet weather:

And one in snow:

Last edited by Warp Ten; 04-23-2021 at 10:26 AM..
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2021, 07:17 PM   #10
m@rco
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 540i; '07 328i; '03 R1150R

I used to have Michelin Pilot Sports runflats on my 328i. Great tire but started to get noisy about half way through thread life. I was reluctant to try something new because I always had Michelin’s or Pirelli's. But I changed to Continental Extreme Contacts non-runflat now. What a difference! Nearly the same performance and much more silent and comfortable with all potholes around... having said that, I might consider the Vredestein Quatrac Pro on my 540i next... read very good reviews (here) and online.
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2021, 10:57 AM   #11
RonronEG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i

You're doing yourself a disservice by not taking the 5 up to Tahoe. I'm in the same area and my other car is also a Sorento- also got fed up with the ridiculousness of going over bumps with Goodyear asymmetric RFTs.

I went with the DWS06 and while I do occasionally miss the sharpnesss of the RFT (especially in regards to turn in and overall planted feeling) I like being able to drive over small imperfections and not feel like I just rolled through a crater on the moon.

Clear roads, snow on the ground, sunroof open, ambient light on, heated seats maxed, massage on, golden hour in the 5 coming down the hill from Tahoe- one of the best driving experiences of my life.
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2021, 11:20 AM   #12
turbobeagle
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonronEG View Post
You're doing yourself a disservice by not taking the 5 up to Tahoe. I'm in the same area and my other car is also a Sorento- also got fed up with the ridiculousness of going over bumps with Goodyear asymmetric RFTs.

I went with the DWS06 and while I do occasionally miss the sharpnesss of the RFT (especially in regards to turn in and overall planted feeling) I like being able to drive over small imperfections and not feel like I just rolled through a crater on the moon.

Clear roads, snow on the ground, sunroof open, ambient light on, heated seats maxed, massage on, golden hour in the 5 coming down the hill from Tahoe- one of the best driving experiences of my life.
I'm curious - do you have xDrive (I do not)? I was on a Tahoe trip once where our driver was forced to install chains on her FWD car at the checkpoint, and I think they weren't doing that to AWDs. I think I signed something in my lease agreement that says I can't do that.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 04:39 PM   #13
RonronEG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i

I'm also RWD. If it's actively snowing or weather inbound I'll take the wife's Sorento (AWD) or even my Mercedes (4WD). With AWD/4WD and appropriate tires, you can avoid chains (I haven't been up in severe snow since I was a child though). But if CalTrans says the roads are clear and there's no incoming weather, I take the 5. The drive up with clear roads and the scenery snow covered is amazing.

To me, even wire chains are brutal. If weather somehow creeps up on us in the BMW, the wife and I are finding a B&B and taking an impromptu vacation
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2021, 10:14 PM   #14
turbobeagle
Lieutenant
Rep

So I finally made the switch. I ended up going with Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 on 18 inch wheels. It's definitely a firm and sporty tire, but I think it's giving me what I was looking for so far (only a couple hundred miles on them). Some of the harshness from the Goodyear Eagle Sport Run-flats is eliminated. It's not a mind blowing difference but definitely noticable.

I have the 20 inch OEM wheels with summer performance run-flats in the garage so I'll swap over to those once in a while for contrast.
Appreciate 0