BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Cosmetic Modifications Advice on how to update this G30

02-13-2021, 06:24 PM   #1
aerof16
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i

Advice on how to update this G30

I'm fairly new to BMW, so I am not overly familiar with the tried and true companies/products/etc., which is why I'm looking for some advice from the forum members here. I bought this car because I needed something I would love driving and put some serious miles on (20-25K per year). I bought it CPO, which made the most sense for what I needed. The roads are ok where I live but have lots of sand/debris/rocks. I have replaced 2 windshields in my other vehicles so far and just damage a 3rd in the 18 months we've lived here.

Love my G30 and the Silverstone color but hate the chrome. I started another thread on here about wrapping the chrome but my intent with this thread is more about all around exterior products. Right now, the car is in for Xpel clear bra and ceramic coating on paint/wheels/glass.

For the front grill and trim, I think buying the OEM gloss black products is probably my best bet (or a good aftermarket). I don't think wrapping the products is going to hold up well to the abuse this car is going to see.

For the door/window trim, maybe that is where a wrap could make sense? I've never worked with that trim but I bet it's a pain and the shadowline stuff is like $1300.

Also, something has to happen with the rear. It's just so...blah. I don't want carbon fiber (just not the look I am going for) but maybe stick with a gloss black theme all around. The OEM spoiler doesn't really do it for me.

Suggestions on maybe a front chin spoiler, rear spoiler, rear diffuser?

Thanks in advance.

I'd love to upload pics but it won't let me without using a 3rd part site, so I guess I wont.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2021, 06:04 PM   #2
Sophisto540
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i

Garage List
2017 BMW 540i  [0.00]
Do you have the M-Sport front bumper or standard? I ask because most front lips are only made for the M-Sport.

I've been happy with RW Carbon for my parts. I've tried a few others and will just say that if RW stocks what I want, I will go back to them.

There is always someone on here selling their old grill on here. Either because they like the cerium or go with carbon fiber. If you aren't in a rush, stalk the forums and gather stuff as you find it.

You can also try getbmwparts.com for discounted parts from a BMW dealership.
Appreciate 1
aerof1680.50
      02-14-2021, 09:00 PM   #3
invidiousf90
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Yes, I have gotten all my stuff from rw carbon as well. Very nice products. Would suggest a front lip and rear diffuser and to get the rest of the bits painted in gloss black trim.
Appreciate 1
aerof1680.50
      02-14-2021, 09:48 PM   #4
dscabra
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GMC Denali

Garage List
I just installed a front spoiler from RW Carbon: https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1799611

Very happy with fit and initial quality.
Appreciate 1
aerof1680.50
      02-15-2021, 12:33 PM   #5
aerof16
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisto540 View Post
Do you have the M-Sport front bumper or standard? I ask because most front lips are only made for the M-Sport.

I've been happy with RW Carbon for my parts. I've tried a few others and will just say that if RW stocks what I want, I will go back to them.

There is always someone on here selling their old grill on here. Either because they like the cerium or go with carbon fiber. If you aren't in a rush, stalk the forums and gather stuff as you find it.

You can also try getbmwparts.com for discounted parts from a BMW dealership.
I just have the standard bumper.

I think the rear really needs a spoiler. Trying to find one that looks good without being too over the top.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2021, 03:46 PM   #6
Sophisto540
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i

Garage List
2017 BMW 540i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerof16 View Post
I just have the standard bumper.

I think the rear really needs a spoiler. Trying to find one that looks good without being too over the top.
I had the M-performance carbon fiber spoiler on my old F10 535i, which was the luxury model back when that was a thing. It wasn't super sporty other than that spoiler and the M-performance exhaust. Weird spec from the dealer but I got a great deal...

That said, I really liked that style of spoiler and found it on a few sites called the high-kick spoiler for the G30. Link below:

https://www.********.com/191/0/0/107...k-spoiler.html

It isn't nearly as aggressive as the current M-performance spoiler but it is more aggressive than the stock version that goes straight off the back of the car.

Here are pics of mine before and after. Sorry for the lack of a close up on the old one.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
aerof1680.50
      02-16-2021, 09:16 AM   #7
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

I also live in Arizona. Depending upon where you live, a front spoiler might be problematic. In greater Phoenix there are a number of streets where they pave the road to let water run down it at intersections creating a large risk of damaging the spoiler and perhaps the belly pan as you cross it (e.g., Greenway Road at Scottsdale Road).

It also seems, at least around my neighborhood, that Phoenix is increasing the number of streets with speed humps.

So...depending upon where you live and drive in Arizona, a front spoiler might be problematic.
Appreciate 0