BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Window Tint % for Bluestone recommendation?

08-04-2019, 09:50 PM   #45
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeI View Post
Apologies in advance for the necro newb post.

Can anyone tell me if tinting the windshield, with say 70 or 90% affects the HUD (or any other electronics) in a negative way?

Have an Alpine, and thinking of going 50% all around, and either 70 or 90 on the front.

Thanks!
Only things I've ever heard possibly affected are:

If tint shop uses too much water, water behind dash and potential damage to electronics behind dash. Apparently this is more of an issue with other manufacturers such as Tesla. But reminding you just in case....

Auto dimming of dash lighting

When wearing polarized sunglasses, you might notice coloration at curvature of glass.

I haven't heard of HUD issues. You can ask shop to tape a piece of tint to glass and check HUD. This will be worst case since the Tint backing is still on for this test. I don't believe there will be an issue.
      08-05-2019, 11:05 AM   #46
Skyrider01
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550ix, 2020 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post

If tint shop uses too much water, water behind dash and potential damage to electronics behind dash. Apparently this is more of an issue with other manufacturers such as Tesla. But reminding you just in case....

When wearing polarized sunglasses, you might notice coloration at curvature of glass.

I haven't heard of HUD issues. You can ask shop to tape a piece of tint to glass and check HUD. This will be worst case since the Tint backing is still on for this test. I don't believe there will be an issue.

I have HUD and the tint does not affect it at all.

I’m not sure about the auto dimming of the dash. I haven’t noticed anything unusual there. The 70% does not seems excessively dark and probably isn’t dark enough to cause dimming.

As far as polarized sunglasses, I can’t comment since I don’t use them because of the HUD.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 11:11 AM   #47
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
I have 3M Crystalline 70% on the windshield and I don't have any issues with the head-up display.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 11:25 AM   #48
Bob in IL
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 G01 X3, 2019 G30 5 Series

I just had my Bluestone/Ivory tinted with Formula One Pinnacle 40% all round (no windshield). It looks fairly light with the Ivory interior but I prefer tint a little on the light side vs. darker. 35% is legal here in IL so that was a consideration.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 02:28 PM   #49
GeorgeI
Rep
Drives: 540i MSport

Garage List
G30 540i MSport  [0.00]
Quote:

Think I'm leaning towards the 90 for the windshield anyway, as UV and IR rejection is my primary concern over privacy. That should minimize any premature dimming of the dash lighting.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 02:36 PM   #50
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Think I'm leaning towards the 90 for the windshield anyway, as UV and IR rejection is my primary concern over privacy. That should minimize any premature dimming of the dash lighting.
Windshields are laminated glass which by nature has 99% UV A and B protection.

What you want to focus on is TSER which is the heat load blocked. Keep in mind most film manufacturers do their tests using glass types other than laminated because the plastic sheet in laminated holds heat which yields worse heat rejection results for their tint.

Which film are you going with?

IR rejection is nice, and it's a function of the total solar energy rejection calculation.
      08-05-2019, 06:10 PM   #51
GeorgeI
Rep

Garage List
G30 540i MSport  [0.00]
Quote:

What you want to focus on is TSER which is the heat load blocked. Keep in mind most film manufacturers do their tests using glass types other than laminated because the plastic sheet in laminated holds heat which yields worse heat rejection results for their tint.

IR rejection is nice, and it's a function of the total solar energy rejection calculation.
Was looking at the 3M Crystalline.
Appreciate 1
claykin1587.50
      08-05-2019, 06:48 PM   #52
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Was looking at the 3M Crystalline.
Gotcha.

While Crystalline is good Film, also shop around for next Gen films such as:

Spectra Photosync
Xpel Prime XR / XR Plus
Formula 1 Stratos / Pinnacle (llumar product)
Suntek CXP / CIR

All the above films are excellent and in a class just below (and less $) or very similar or better than Crystalline.

3M has a fine product and Crystalline was once in a class by itself. But typical of 3M, they move slowly and by now they should have a next Gen film. Crystalline is not the easiest to heat shrink, and other films just lay down better and with less pain. My 2 cents.

Most important is the quality of workmanship. Find a shop that uses a computer cutting plotter so they don't bring razor blades to your car. Also find a shop that does their work in an enclosed garage. Tinting in an open garage or outdoors is amateurish.
      08-05-2019, 08:26 PM   #53
GeorgeI
Rep

Garage List
G30 540i MSport  [0.00]
Quote:
Gotcha.

Spectra Photosync
Xpel Prime XR / XR Plus
Suntek CXP / CIR

All the above films are excellent and in a class just below (and less $) or very similar or better than Crystalline.

3M has a fine product and Crystalline was once in a class by itself. But typical of 3M, they move slowly and by now they should have a next Gen film. Crystalline is not the easiest to heat shrink, and other films just lay down better and with less pain. My 2 cents.

Most important is the quality of workmanship. Find a shop that uses a computer cutting plotter so they don't bring razor blades to your car. Also find a shop that does their work in an enclosed garage. Tinting in an open garage or outdoors is amateurish.
The advice is much appreciated, thank you!

What would you say is the best overall bang for the buck, that also looks nice?

I have the F1 Pinnacle 35(?) on another car, and it definitely works well, but it seems to have a slightly brownish tint to it. My car is Alpine with the Night Blue interior, so would prefer something with a blueish/carbon tint. Was also considering the Stratos, but am definitely open to suggestions.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 08:47 PM   #54
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

I almost got their 90, but I went with 70 instead and I'm glad I did. You can't even tell that it's there. It makes a world of difference here in Texas.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 09:04 PM   #55
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Gotcha.

Spectra Photosync
Xpel Prime XR / XR Plus
Suntek CXP / CIR

The advice is much appreciated, thank you!

What would you say is the best overall bang for the buck, that also looks nice?

I have the F1 Pinnacle 35(?) on another car, and it definitely works well, but it seems to have a slightly brownish tint to it. My car is Alpine with the Night Blue interior, so would prefer something with a blueish/carbon tint. Was also considering the Stratos, but am definitely open to suggestions.

Thanks!
Are you looking for best, cost is no object? Or best balance for the buck?

I'd say best overall is either Spectra Photosync or Xpel Prime XR Plus. Spectra Photosync has a charcoal color. I believe the xpel film is same but you need to see it. Check the respective websites for dealers.

http://prestige-films.com/dealer-locator/

https://www.xpel.com/clearbra-installers/

Suntek CXP is an excellent film and is neutral / gray color. This is what I have on my car. Excellent bang for the buck. A bit less heat rejection than Crystalline but I prefer the look and the shades offered with CXP. I didn't like the way crystalline 40 looked.

If I had an EV, I'd definitely use Spectra Photosync. The few degrees cooler Photosync keeps the interior is worthwhile considering with an EV running the AC costs you in total efficiency.

Formula 1 tint is upper end Llumar. Pinnacle is good bang for the buck and similar to suntek CXP in spec. As far as color, that's personal preference. I haven't used Stratos, but it's in a similar league to Xpel XR.

Again, find the better installer. That's as important as the material.
      08-06-2019, 06:47 AM   #56
GeorgeI
Rep

Garage List
G30 540i MSport  [0.00]
Quote:
Are you looking for best, cost is no object? Or best balance for the buck?

I'd say best overall is either Spectra Photosync or Xpel Prime XR Plus. Spectra Photosync has a charcoal color. I believe the xpel film is same but you need to see it. Check the respective websites for dealers.

http://prestige-films.com/dealer-locator/

https://www.xpel.com/clearbra-installers/

Suntek CXP is an excellent film and is neutral / gray color. This is what I have on my car. Excellent bang for the buck. A bit less heat rejection than Crystalline but I prefer the look and the shades offered with CXP. I didn't like the way crystalline 40 looked.

If I had an EV, I'd definitely use Spectra Photosync. The few degrees cooler Photosync keeps the interior is worthwhile considering with an EV running the AC costs you in total efficiency.

Formula 1 tint is upper end Llumar. Pinnacle is good bang for the buck and similar to suntek CXP in spec. As far as color, that's personal preference. I haven't used Stratos, but it's in a similar league to Xpel XR.

Again, find the better installer. That's as important as the material.
I suppose the most succinct way to answer that is, "both!" The reality is that I don't mind paying north of $600 for a tint if there is a truly substantial advantage. But as I'm sure you're well aware, diminishing returns is often the rule once you start approaching the bleeding edge.

That said, I'm only going to do this once, and I don't mind paying for it. But I don't like the idea of paying an additional, say, 50% for only 5 or 10% in theoretical additional benefit.

Thank you kindly for taking the time to explore and unpack this with me! Much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 12:11 PM   #57
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I suppose the most succinct way to answer that is, "both!" The reality is that I don't mind paying north of $600 for a tint if there is a truly substantial advantage. But as I'm sure you're well aware, diminishing returns is often the rule once you start approaching the bleeding edge.

That said, I'm only going to do this once, and I don't mind paying for it. But I don't like the idea of paying an additional, say, 50% for only 5 or 10% in theoretical additional benefit.

Thank you kindly for taking the time to explore and unpack this with me! Much appreciated!
Diminishing returns is 100% the case with high end tint. Sure, if you tint all exposed glass, the high end (such as Spectra Photosync) will keep the interior a few degrees cooler, for some period of time, on a hot sunny day. Wherein comes the math for EV owners who could benefit from the car cooling down a couple minutes faster.

For fossil fuel burners, the benefit just isn't there in the real world. Not for the additional cost. If you've got $$ to burn, sure go for it and you'll know you've got the best out there.

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.
      08-13-2019, 08:32 AM   #58
mekay2020
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by saporitj View Post
Are you looking to stay legal in Cali or you don't care. I did 50% all around because that is required in VA for front windows and I didn't want two shades. Besides I have window shades in all the back windows that I can put up (or down).
I used LLumar Stratos series. It's LLumar's best film. Two layer film that blocks 99.5 of UV.
Quote:
Are you looking to stay legal in Cali or you don't care. I did 50% all around because that is required in VA for front windows and I didn't want two shades. Besides I have window shades in all the back windows that I can put up (or down).
I used LLumar Stratos series. It's LLumar's best film. Two layer film that blocks 99.5 of UV.
I live in northern VA, any recommendations for window reputable window tinting shops? I don't mind driving a bit.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 08:49 AM   #59
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekay2020 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I live in northern VA, any recommendations for window reputable window tinting shops? I don't mind driving a bit.
1. A shop with a plotter (computer cutting). Xpel probably has the best patterns out there so a shop selling Xpel window films might be a good choice. That's not to say that Eastman software / patterns aren't good (llumar, Formula One, Suntek) Just Xpel has better software.

2. A shop that has an enclosed garage and will do your job indoors and not keep opening/closing the garage while your car is being tinted.

Ask to see their work. See if they take pride in their work. Call exotic car dealers (Ferrari, Lambo, Rolls, etc) and see who they recommend.

Stay away from mobile.
      08-14-2019, 06:50 AM   #60
mekay2020
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550 xdrive

Quote:
1. A shop with a plotter (computer cutting). Xpel probably has the best patterns out there so a shop selling Xpel window films might be a good choice. That's not to say that Eastman software / patterns aren't good (llumar, Formula One, Suntek) Just Xpel has better software.

2. A shop that has an enclosed garage and will do your job indoors and not keep opening/closing the garage while your car is being tinted.

Ask to see their work. See if they take pride in their work. Call exotic car dealers (Ferrari, Lambo, Rolls, etc) and see who they recommend.

Stay away from mobile.
Thanks Clay, really helpful!!
Appreciate 0