BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion M Track Day at COTA (2019)

07-25-2019, 09:27 AM   #23
OG Shark
Rep
Drives: Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
This was my third time, and I feel like each time it's a bit less "special". Doubling the price didn't help, and I feel like the caliber of vehicles are decreasing, the instructors are a bit more strict and the entire event just felt rushed.

So unless the event drastically changes next year, this will be my last time attending.
Sums it up perfectly
Appreciate 1
P111541.50
      07-25-2019, 01:22 PM   #24
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

thanks to the OP for the great photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grip Addict View Post
Half day is $495, full day is $995

The price has gone up and up, but there is no other brand that does this for this price.
true story.... performance tires aren't getting any cheaper either.

Quote:
This was my third time, and I feel like each time it's a bit less "special". Doubling the price didn't help, and I feel like the caliber of vehicles are decreasing, the instructors are a bit more strict and the entire event just felt rushed.

So unless the event drastically changes next year, this will be my last time attending.

In addition, you are no longer a newbie to this... might be time to graduate from " someone else's car " .....

For those that prefer to get a little more seat time in their own ride.... registration opens Aug 7

http://www.houston-bmwcca.com/events...est-at-cota-6/

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 07-25-2019 at 01:31 PM..
Appreciate 2
P111541.50
SakhirM410783.00
      07-26-2019, 08:01 AM   #25
themightyshrek
Enlisted Member
Japan
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 CS

Quote:
Just like the two previous years, attended the M Track Day at COTA with Violator.

If I make one comment, it's that the M5 doesn't belong on the track. Too heavy, too big, too squirrelly. Really missed having the M3 Comp with all the M Performance goodies on it like they had years previous.

In any regard, enjoy the photos!

Did someone sprayed paint on that Z4/front wheel?!
Amazed that no one mentioned it....
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 02:35 PM   #26
Zulu Saffa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Them Wild

Quote:

Yup. I have been to this event and a day in Palm Desert (Thermal). A bit too Micky Mouse for the price, so did not sign up this year. Was still worth it when it was in the $200+ range, but not at this price. Still might be fun for someone who has not done track days, but if you do track a handful of times a year, this will be like cooking a juicy steak, plating it and then just looking at it.
Appreciate 2
P111541.50
OG Shark4654.50
      07-27-2019, 08:43 AM   #27
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M4 Comp RWD

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Motoring View Post
Nice pics! Did you feel the price increase was worth it? Will you be going next year?

I was annoyed that they didn't come to Miami this year. However, seeing the price and fact that the circuit was in base M5's, I am glad I did not get to go. Had I gone with it being as described here, I would have felt like I wasted 500 bucks and a day in Miami. They should have stocked the event with M5 comps. The base M5 is a joke IMHO.
P111541.50
      07-27-2019, 09:50 AM   #28
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine300zhp View Post
I was annoyed that they didn't come to Miami this year. However, seeing the price and fact that the circuit was in base M5's, I am glad I did not get to go. Had I gone with it being as described here, I would have felt like I wasted 500 bucks and a day in Miami. They should have stocked the event with M5 comps. The base M5 is a joke IMHO.
Not sure if it’s a “joke” but it has absolutely no place being on COTA. Should be M2s, M3s and M4s, all equipped with M Performance goodies.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 10:53 AM   #29
xiljustin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M

Quote:
Quote:
Not sure if it’s a “joke” but it has absolutely no place being on COTA. Should be M2s, M3s and M4s, all equipped with M Performance goodies.
Quote:
Quote:
Not sure if it's a "joke" but it has absolutely no place being on COTA. Should be M2s, M3s and M4s, all equipped with M Performance goodies.

Wait so the M5 you're referring to is a base?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 12:24 PM   #30
Colinv6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 comp, Mexico / Opal

That M4 in speed yellow, with silver 666 and CCB is utterly perfect.

Not a speck of carbon either!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 01:14 PM   #31
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Looks like they have the M2C now
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 01:19 PM   #32
OG Shark
Rep
Drives: Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu Saffa View Post
Yup. I have been to this event and a day in Palm Desert (Thermal). A bit too Micky Mouse for the price, so did not sign up this year. Was still worth it when it was in the $200+ range, but not at this price. Still might be fun for someone who has not done track days, but if you do track a handful of times a year, this will be like cooking a juicy steak, plating it and then just looking at it.
I like the steak comparison. It definitely lost its luster from my pretrack days to now having tracked quite a bit. All in all even though not as good as previous years was still enjoyable. Definitely better than working on a Friday afternoon

Last year I got invited by my local dealership, this year had to pay. 500.00 does feel too much for what you get too. I actually wouldn’t have gone but a buddy wanted me to go with him. Was also hoping the M5 comp would have been on the full laps.

Quote:
I still think the M5 comp could work well at cota. The base yeah definitely would need to give it some attention first. The M2 is definitely fun out there (at least I can vouch that a nicely modded OG M2 is). E92 M3 is also a blast there as well. Maybe not the fastest around the track but sure are extremely fun to run around cota in.

SanchoDivine it looks like you did the full day that had an M5 comp? If so can you please share your thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 01:32 PM   #33
Violator
Living the dream
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 w/MPPK, MPE & RC GTS Black

The instructors drove the M5 Comp leading us in the “base M5”. A couple of them also agreed that they don’t feel that the M5 is a good track car.

I don’t believe that anyone can prove it is or isn’t, so why all of the back and forth? (Rhetorical)
      07-30-2019, 07:36 AM   #34
BMWM3Wannabe
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 ZCP, Ford Raptor

How much actual driving time did you get for the 1/2 day and full day? I'd be interested in this if I got a certain about of drive time. I really could care less about walking around and "talking" about BMW and watching videos. I can "talk" for less than ~$125/hr on here.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 07:59 AM   #35
rickc007
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Not sure on the actual time, but you're pretty much in a car, or moving to then next stage.
But like when you're doing autocross, there are like 6 cars, so while the others are going, you're waiting. But it's not excessive, it's kinda good to regroup and chat between runs.

I thought we had the right amount car time myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM3Wannabe View Post
How much actual driving time did you get for the 1/2 day and full day? I'd be interested in this if I got a certain about of drive time. I really could care less about walking around and "talking" about BMW and watching videos. I can "talk" for less than ~$125/hr on here.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 10:03 PM   #36
Grip Addict
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM3Wannabe View Post
In previous years, this year attendees can confirm, you have a mini-drivers meeting/BMW marketing slideshow for like 30 minutes then you are in cars for hours from stage to stage. Then you finish with with a very well prepared dinner.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 02:45 PM   #37
RBNetEngr
Private
Rep
Drives: 1995 BMW M3

I attended the full-day event on Tuesday, July 16. The event ran from 8:00am-5:00pm, and included breakfast snacks and coffee, lunch and dinner. Bill Auberlen was also there, and sat for an interview and Q&A, during lunch. He was also available throughout the day to chat with.

The full day event consisted of three on-track sessions, an autox session, drag race session, and a wet skidpad session.

For the three on-track sessions, one was in the M2 Comp, one in the M4 (with track package upgrades including carbon ceramic brakes), and one in the M5 Comp. For each session, there were two people per car, and each driver had three lead-follow laps, in a group of 2-3 cars behind an instructor. After each lap, the car behind the instructor dropped to the back of the pack, so each driver had the opportunity to drive directly behind the instructor for one lap. Then, pull into the pit and switch drivers. The M2 Comp felt great on the track. I have an E36 M3, and have driven it at COTA several times. The M2 Comp felt very similar in size to the E36, but with way more power and grip. The highest speed I hit on the back straight was 140.

The M4 felt very stable on the track, and the braking performance was amazing with the carbon ceramic rotors. They are definitely NOT worth the $8K price if you aren’t going to track your M4 and drive it like it’s stolen. I hit 143 on the back straight in the M4.

The M5 Comp was the biggest surprise on the track. For a vehicle that large, it handled and gripped better than the M4. It felt totally stable at all points on the track, including the long right-hand Turn 16-18 complex (with the bump in 18). I hit 145 on the back straight once with the M5 Comp.

All of the cars had DSC enabled, and were set for Sport Plus mode. DSC allowed sufficient looseness in the rear to make things entertaining. It also does a good job of saving drivers from their bad driving mistakes.

The autox event was driven in the M2 (non Comp), and was a very short and simple course (19-24 seconds, depending on whether youÂ’re an autox god, or you suck). Again, two drivers per car, and each driver got four three timed runs (that counted toward the FTD award). Then, if there was time, we had fun runs, and each driver got another two runs. This year, the fastest autoxers from each event will NOT be sent to Thermal, CA for a competition to find the fastest driver.

The drag race event had four pairs of vehicles: X3M, X4M, M4, M850i xDrive. Our group was small, so we had one driver per car, and had four runs per car. The object was to launch, race down the strip, and stop within the stop box. The M850 with xDrive launches like a rocket!

We also had an event with a standard M5, on a wet skid pad. And while each group was queued up, waiting for a turn in the M5, Bill Auberlen came by in an M5 Comp, and took attendees, two at a time, for two hot laps around the track. It was amazing to fly around the track with him at the wheel, sliding sideways through many turns, and watching him doing this while totally calm. He is definitely in another league! But then, he is the winningest BMW driver...ever. The skidpad M5s were set for RWD mode, so it was easy to kick the rear end out and drift around the skidpad.

Overall, it was a good event, and I thought it was worth the money to be able to drive someone else’s M cars as hard as you dared. BMW also offered discounts to attendees for the BMW Performance schools in South Carolina and California.

-rb
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 08:41 PM   #38
Grip Addict
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBNetEngr View Post
I attended the full-day event on Tuesday, July 16. The event ran from 8:00am-5:00pm, and included breakfast snacks and coffee, lunch and dinner. Bill Auberlen was also there, and sat for an interview and Q&A, during lunch. He was also available throughout the day to chat with.

The full day event consisted of three on-track sessions, an autox session, drag race session, and a wet skidpad session.

For the three on-track sessions, one was in the M2 Comp, one in the M4 (with track package upgrades including carbon ceramic brakes), and one in the M5 Comp. For each session, there were two people per car, and each driver had three lead-follow laps, in a group of 2-3 cars behind an instructor. After each lap, the car behind the instructor dropped to the back of the pack, so each driver had the opportunity to drive directly behind the instructor for one lap. Then, pull into the pit and switch drivers. The M2 Comp felt great on the track. I have an E36 M3, and have driven it at COTA several times. The M2 Comp felt very similar in size to the E36, but with way more power and grip. The highest speed I hit on the back straight was 140.

The M4 felt very stable on the track, and the braking performance was amazing with the carbon ceramic rotors. They are definitely NOT worth the $8K price if you aren’t going to track your M4 and drive it like it’s stolen. I hit 143 on the back straight in the M4.

The M5 Comp was the biggest surprise on the track. For a vehicle that large, it handled and gripped better than the M4. It felt totally stable at all points on the track, including the long right-hand Turn 16-18 complex (with the bump in 18). I hit 145 on the back straight once with the M5 Comp.

All of the cars had DSC enabled, and were set for Sport Plus mode. DSC allowed sufficient looseness in the rear to make things entertaining. It also does a good job of saving drivers from their bad driving mistakes.

The autox event was driven in the M2 (non Comp), and was a very short and simple course (19-24 seconds, depending on whether youÂ’re an autox god, or you suck). Again, two drivers per car, and each driver got four three timed runs (that counted toward the FTD award). Then, if there was time, we had fun runs, and each driver got another two runs. This year, the fastest autoxers from each event will NOT be sent to Thermal, CA for a competition to find the fastest driver.

The drag race event had four pairs of vehicles: X3M, X4M, M4, M850i xDrive. Our group was small, so we had one driver per car, and had four runs per car. The object was to launch, race down the strip, and stop within the stop box. The M850 with xDrive launches like a rocket!

We also had an event with a standard M5, on a wet skid pad. And while each group was queued up, waiting for a turn in the M5, Bill Auberlen came by in an M5 Comp, and took attendees, two at a time, for two hot laps around the track. It was amazing to fly around the track with him at the wheel, sliding sideways through many turns, and watching him doing this while totally calm. He is definitely in another league! But then, he is the winningest BMW driver...ever. The skidpad M5s were set for RWD mode, so it was easy to kick the rear end out and drift around the skidpad.

Overall, it was a good event, and I thought it was worth the money to be able to drive someone else’s M cars as hard as you dared. BMW also offered discounts to attendees for the BMW Performance schools in South Carolina and California.

-rb
In your opinion, was the full day worth the near $1k?

I personally have attended the last 2 years, 3rd is ordered and waiting for Sept.

I see everyone complain about the price increase of the standard half day, interested in a full day attenders opinion.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 08:36 AM   #39
RBNetEngr
Private
Rep
Drives: 1995 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grip Addict View Post
In your opinion, was the full day worth the near $1k?

I personally have attended the last 2 years, 3rd is ordered and waiting for Sept.

I see everyone complain about the price increase of the standard half day, interested in a full day attenders opinion.
Well, for ME, if I put it into perspective, it was worth it. It all depends on what you expect to get out of the experience.

In the past, I paid $975 to attend a three-day Porsche/BMW club HPDE event at COTA, where I drove my own car, and had an instructor with me, for four 25 minute track sessions each day, so twelve 25 minute track sessions over three days. I received personal instruction, learned how to improve my driving techniques on the track, etc. Definitely worth the price, and I hope to do it again soon (maybe in September!)

At the other extreme, you can go to Las Vegas and pay a lot of money to drive an exotic car on a track:

https://exoticsracing.com/

For example, five laps in a Porsche 911 GT3 RS is $449.

Again, itÂ’s all about perspective and experience. For the complete program that BMW M Track Days provided for me, it was worth the price. YouÂ’re certainly not going to walk into a BMW dealership, ask to test drive a new M5, and take it out on the public roads and thrash it like you can do at the M Track Days event. So, short of actually buying one of these cars, this is your only opportunity to experience an M car on the track. Obviously, BMW is hoping you like your experience so much that youÂ’ll go to a dealership and purchase one.

M Track Days are not intended to be anything like an HPDE which, for me, is the best investment of money for track time. And HPDE experience is directly translated into improved driving skills and abilities anytime youÂ’re behind the wheel.

Hope this helps.

-rb
Appreciate 0