BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions M550ix Driver Assistance Plus Issues

08-08-2019, 03:57 PM   #1
spyfish007
Getting older, but I still love awesome fast cars!
Rep
Drives: 2017 X6M & 2016 Z4 sDrive35is

M550ix Driver Assistance Plus Issues

I have a 2018 M550ix with the driver assistance plus package. Several weeks ago when returning from a business trip my car threw some new warnings on the display for the following:
  • Driver Assistance Systems Warning
  • Lane Departure Warning (Malfunction)
  • Blind Spot Warning (Malfunction)
  • Frontal Collision Warning (Malfunction)
  • Side Impact Warning (Malfunction)

The service department at my dealer said the sensor in the front bumper was out of alignment and the bracket was bent so it must be my fault and not a warranty item. I have not hit anything with the car and there is no damage to the front end anywhere. The dealer service department said they can't do anything because BMW will deny their claim if they send in a bent bracket. They said it was ~$900 to fix with labor.

I left that day as the GM was not avilable. I finally connected with him yesterday and he provided the BMW customer relations number, so I filled a case with them yesterday. A manager called me back this morning and left a message about calling him back. I have not been able to reach him; however another manager said he was just calling to let me know it would be 3-5 days and they have to get the records from dealership.

I am pretty annoyed at this point and every time I start my car I get a reminder of the malfunction. The BMW customer relations person who took the claim yesterday was actually surprised the dealer didn't do that on my behalf. Everyone I speak with is really saying that BMW might fix the sensor out of customer good will. I find this as a crappy answer - there is no damage to my car.

Anyone have insight into what actually might be wrong with the car? Is it in fact the sensor in the bumper that can knock all these systems out? Does anyone have any other recommendations on a course of action?

I am really starting to doubt if I want another expensive BMW. I optioned this thing out and well I have a lease and in 18 months I can go another direction.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 04:55 PM   #2
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Much as I hate to take the side of the companies, if your aids worked fine and now don't work and there is a bent bracket, it does look like user damage. Of course, the user who caused the damage doesn't have to be you. It could be anyone who parked near you and bumped into the bumper. Alas, that would put the issue onto your insurance and it probably doesn't pay to make a claim.

Tough outcome. Hope they do give you a courtesy repair.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 05:01 PM   #3
DBO
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: G30 540i SDrive (MPPSK+Mods)

Sound like someone may have backed into you and then driven away (e.g. reversing out of a parking bay). Slow impacts or a front squeeze wouldn't necessarily do much cosmetically but could definitely bend stuff under the bumper. Don't have a dash cam by chance?
Appreciate 1
530iDriver1707.50
      08-08-2019, 05:21 PM   #4
spyfish007
Rep

No dash cam.

Where I park at the airport you can't bump my bumper. The dealer said it was bent. I have not seen it personally. The service advisor said small bumps can throw it out. The sensor is also fairly recessed.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 06:16 PM   #5
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyfish007 View Post
No dash cam.

Where I park at the airport you can't bump my bumper. The dealer said it was bent. I have not seen it personally. The service advisor said small bumps can throw it out. The sensor is also fairly recessed.
Unless you live awfully far away from the dealership, I would suggest that you go in, inspect the damage, take a picture of it, and then move on from there.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 08:44 PM   #6
spyfish007
Rep

Anyone see any damage? Looks normal to me...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 08:21 AM   #7
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Not from the picture. Did the service advisor show you where he claims you caused the damage?
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50
      08-09-2019, 08:46 AM   #8
spyfish007
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Not from the picture. Did the service advisor show you where he claims you caused the damage?
Nope
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 09:23 AM   #9
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Quote:
Nope
Could have been kids at home in the garage hitting that accidentally with their bicycles?

Sorry man, but very hard to prove otherwise if you have hidden damage in that area. Pay and move on.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 10:33 AM   #10
CLABRO
THUNDER UP!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Sport G30

Garage List
I'd personally ask to see the "bent" bracket or part and that way you can get an idea of how much force/damage was required to bend the bracket which in turn would allow you to think how it could have happened without causing any visible damage to your bumper.

To be honest, in my personal opinion from my less than 6 month personal experience, BMW service advisors are one of the worst of the 5 different car manufacturers I've had when it comes to transparency and accountability. I know it will vary and some are better than others. It could just be my location, but I get the run around for the simplest of things and have never left satisfied with my experience. Granted I've only used two different people there (they could be the worst ones) and I've had the car for less than 6 months so I'm keeping an open mind and hoping I just had unlucky experiences. I'm using a different person at my next upcoming appointment so hopefully it will be a better experience.

Good luck!

G30 l Alpine White l M Sport Package l Executive Tier l Icon Adaptive Full LED Headlights l Mocha Nappa Leather l Multi-Contour Seats l Drivers Assistance Package l Drivers Assistance Plus Package l Dynamic Handling Package l Parking Assistance Package l Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System l M Sport Brakes l Apple Carplay

Last edited by CLABRO; 08-09-2019 at 10:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 11:11 AM   #11
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLABRO View Post
I'd personally ask to see the "bent" bracket or part and that way you can get an idea of how much force/damage was required to bend the bracket which in turn would allow you to think how it could have happened without causing any visible damage to your bumper.

To be honest, in my personal opinion from my less than 6 month personal experience, BMW service advisors are one of the worst of the 5 different car manufacturers I've had when it comes to transparency and accountability. I know it will vary and some are better than others. It could just be my location, but I get the run around for the simplest of things and have never left satisfied with my experience. Granted I've only used two different people there (they could be the worst ones) and I've had the car for less than 6 months so I'm keeping an open mind and hoping I just had unlucky experiences. I'm using a different person at my next upcoming appointment so hopefully it will be a better experience.

Good luck!
+1 on having the SA show you the problem. I find it very troubling that the SA will tell you it is your fault and not and not on his own initiative show you the problem.

I would go to the service manager, complain, ask her to have someone show you the purported damage, and ask for a new SA. Let them know that you are hot going to accept sub par performance.

As I said earlier, it is likely that someone backed into you. But you certainly want to see the damage and you want to be able to believe that the service department is your friend.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 11:19 AM   #12
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLABRO View Post

Good luck!
+1 on having the SA show you the problem. I find it very troubling that the SA will tell you it is your fault and not and not on his own initiative show you the problem.

I would go to the service manager, complain, ask her to have someone show you the purported damage, and ask for a new SA. Let them know that you are hot going to accept sub par performance.

As I said earlier, it is likely that someone backed into you. But you certainly want to see the damage and you want to be able to believe that the service department is your friend.

Good luck.
Nah, the correct path of escalation is to involve the shop foreman. That is his job also, to tend to chronic cases and issues that don't get resolved after multiple visits. Maintain a calm, cool, professional but firm stance and your problem will get resolved.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 1
Warp Ten641.50
      08-09-2019, 02:14 PM   #13
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

It certainly would seem to me that, if there is damage and therefore not covered by warranty, that this is exactly what insurance is for. Therefore, have BMW produce that damage, and file a claim with your insurance company to cover the said damage. This is the way I would approach this issue. I hit a ladder on the interstate in my M4, which damaged the oil cooler, radiator, and transmission cooler to the tune of $5100. Insurance covered it all. If this is damage, insurance should cover it.

PS a bird strike or debris on the highway could well be the culprit.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 02:27 PM   #14
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlothery View Post
It certainly would seem to me that, if there is damage and therefore not covered by warranty, that this is exactly what insurance is for. Therefore, have BMW produce that damage, and file a claim with your insurance company to cover the said damage. This is the way I would approach this issue. I hit a ladder on the interstate in my M4, which damaged the oil cooler, radiator, and transmission cooler to the tune of $5100. Insurance covered it all. If this is damage, insurance should cover it.

PS a bird strike or debris on the highway could well be the culprit.
Good point but that also depends on the total repair bill vs deductible. Also consider that filing this through insurance may add an entry in the Carfax report so you have to be careful there.

Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 08:37 AM   #15
AF
car nut
Rep
Drives: M550i xdrive

Looking at this logically the car was operating fine then one day you come back to the car and you’re getting these issues. Being the cause is something is bent this would tell me that the part wasn’t bent prior so something had to happen possibly when your car was parked somewhere.

My brother was just rear ended lightly but to the point he felt a jolt in his brand new MB C43 cab, strangely there is only a little tiny dot on his license plate which might have been there to begin with. The rear bumper looks perfect and you would never know this happened.

I know it sucks but for $900. I would get it fixed and if it really bothers you then pursue it lightly with BMWNA. I say lightly because these things are aggravating to deal with and it might not be worth your time and effort.
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50
      08-10-2019, 01:33 PM   #16
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
Good point but that also depends on the total repair bill vs deductible. Also consider that filing this through insurance may add an entry in the Carfax report so you have to be careful there.
True enough. However, when I traded the M4, all I had to do was to explain the Carfax report, that there was no body damage, just the aformentioned coolers and the radiator, and there were no monetary repercussions on my M4 trade-in value. I mean, that's what we have insurance for, no?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 10:44 PM   #17
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Did you see if they left you a note like this?
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Warp Ten641.50
clee1982797.50
      08-11-2019, 10:40 PM   #18
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
All I see are some minor marks on the radome from bugs, etc. That's not to say possibly a blunt object hit the radome cover while at highway speed. However, the reality is there's no obvious evidence of an impact that this device shouldn't reasonably handle (given its in the front bumper).

Ask them to either prove the damage or fix it under warranty. If they show you a bent bracket, ask them to prove the bracket wasn't bent at the factory given the radome sits in the bumper pretty straight.

Good luck.
      08-12-2019, 02:31 AM   #19
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
There are multiple sensors in the front bumper. Is it the one in the photo or any of the other ones? If one of them start to malfunction, they pretty much shut down the whole system.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 11:27 PM   #20
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

If I recall correctly the DA+ option is $1700. This obviously includes a bunch of parts, wiring, software unlocked which undoubtedly took a lot of time to engineer, etc..

Take a look at the front radar sensor part price. Something has to be wrong. WTH!

BMW 66316892575

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=66_0422

Google the part number and hold on for dear life. Over $3K. Several BMW parts websites have about same price.

I need to hire my front radar sensor an armed security guard.

**price seems to be correct. The sensor is a Continental ARS4-A. An expensive little bugger.**

Last edited by claykin; 08-15-2019 at 12:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 03:44 PM   #21
spyfish007
Rep

My local independent service shop said it is barely bent and it should be covered. They said try another dealership even though it is 80 miles away. BMW NA told me to go away solely based on talking to local shop. They did not independently review. They cant tell me how much it is bent.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 06:25 PM   #22
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My local independent service shop said it is barely bent and it should be covered. They said try another dealership even though it is 80 miles away. BMW NA told me to go away solely based on talking to local shop. They did not independently review. They cant tell me how much it is bent.
Pick your battles wisely. Not sure driving 80 miles each way is going to yield the outcome you are hoping for. Just pay and move on.

Appreciate 0