BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions New Shoes for my '18 M550i

08-13-2019, 04:40 PM   #1
cartaozinho
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 (G30) M550i

New Shoes for my '18 M550i

Noticed last week that the passenger rear was losing a few PSI per day. Looked over the tire and found a staple hanging on the shoulder. Ugh. What rotten luck. With ~17K miles on the tires I did some research and chatted with a few places. Seemed like the least bad option was to replace all four tires. I love the traction AWD gives but not this part of it!

My car has 19" wheels and came with Michelin Primacy 3's run flats. Apparently, those tires are no longer made or available or something. So, the dealership installed a set of Pirelli P-Zeros run flats. Cost was about $1500 including alignment, excluding tax.

Funnily enough, when I talked to a local tire shop they refused to install the P-Zeros. Their claim was that they were not rated highly enough for my car. Why, you ask? Well, the only difference between the Michelins and Pirellis is the load ratings. The original Michelin's were rated 100Y (rear) and 98Y (front). That equates to about a 6600 lbs. load rating at 150ish mph. The Pirellis are rated 96Y (rear) and 94Y (front). That equates to about a 6000 lbs. load rating at 150ish mph. Just for reference, the curb weight of the M550 is 4372 lbs. With a full tank of gas, say the car weighs 4500 lbs. I mean, I'm a big guy...but not that big! I told the local tire shop manager I had no plans on hauling a trunk full of lead any time soon. He didn't seem amused. I also highlighted that the Pirelli website says the P-Zeros run flats are a direct replacement for my car. He was even less amused. Some people really trust what "their" computer is telling them. C'est la vie.

When I told my BMW service advisor all this he got a good chuckle out of it...You know, I don't mind paying a little more when the people you're paying know their business...
Appreciate 0