BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Windshield replacement... anything to watch out for?

08-16-2019, 06:54 PM   #1
r00ts
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX50

Windshield replacement... anything to watch out for?

I'm taking my wife's 2019 530e for windshield replacement tomorow. The shop seems to be highly rated on Yelp and I insisted on OEM glass (which is already approved by the insurance).

The car has lane departure warning, front collision, etc so I think there are cameras mounted to the windshield. I'm wondering if there are any special procedure the shop needs to do to account for the cameras. I want to make sure that they are aware of this.

And after the new windshield is put on, do the cameras need some kind of calibration?

TIA!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 06:58 PM   #2
modthispny
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 540i M sport

had my windshield replaced on my 2019 5-series, insisted to have it done at the dealer. I think you will need to take it to the dealer afterwards to get the HUD calibrated, otherwise i think you should be fine.

and of day the procedure is not rocket science, but want to make sure that they take their time and ensure to do everything step by step otherwise will have issues later on.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 08:35 PM   #3
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Make sure the glass has a BMW logo in the lower right hand corner. If it doesn't, its not OEM.

R&R of windshield is a 2 person job. Unless the shop has a mechanical device to help hold the glass while the workers sets it.

Ask them what they're using for sealant. BMW has an adhesive kit they sell for replacement glass. See here:

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=51_4675
      08-16-2019, 09:11 PM   #4
modthispny
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 540i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Make sure the glass has a BMW logo in the lower right hand corner. If it doesn't, its not OEM.

R&R of windshield is a 2 person job. Unless the shop has a mechanical device to help hold the glass while the workers sets it.

Ask them what they're using for sealant. BMW has an adhesive kit they sell for replacement glass. See here:

Do they even sell non oem for our cars?

I feel once the assists and cameras come into play it's hard to find aftermarket glass.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 09:30 PM   #5
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by modthispny View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post

Do they even sell non oem for our cars?

I feel once the assists and cameras come into play it's hard to find aftermarket glass.
I do not know. It takes 1 second to verify the bmw logo in the lower right corner.
      08-17-2019, 08:41 AM   #6
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by r00ts View Post
I'm taking my wife's 2019 530e for windshield replacement tomorow. The shop seems to be highly rated on Yelp and I insisted on OEM glass (which is already approved by the insurance).

The car has lane departure warning, front collision, etc so I think there are cameras mounted to the windshield. I'm wondering if there are any special procedure the shop needs to do to account for the cameras. I want to make sure that they are aware of this.

And after the new windshield is put on, do the cameras need some kind of calibration?

TIA!
Like others have said, insist in having this done at the dealer. Remember, your windshield is not just a piece of fancy acoustic glass but a vital safety device whose primary functions are:

1) Ensure stability of the airbags during deployment.

2) Act as a component of the safety structure in case of rollover. (Prevent the roof from crushing in)

Poorly installed windshields are a safety public hazard. Once they mess and touch the factory pinch weld, is anyone guess if the installation is proper to manufacturers guidelines or not. This is why you should insist to have it done at the dealer.

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/11...can-be-deadly/

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 2
clee1982797.50
Warp Ten641.50
      08-17-2019, 11:00 AM   #7
Warp Ten
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540xi

Agree with others. Get it done at the dealer with a BMW OEM windshield. Particularly important if you have a HUD. If it is a Comprehensive insurance claim the cost is the same. --Bob
      08-17-2019, 05:32 PM   #8
AndreasG
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530e

I do this for a living. You should do it at a trust worthy company.

And to all that thinks BMW, dealer or OEM shop is the only way to go.
At least where Iive in Norway, I probably replace 10 of these for every 1 the dealer does.

We change car windows for a living, every day.
The dealer does not they do this once in a while.

But ofcourse you can find people that suck at their job and don't care. There is more of those then the ones that care.
Even at the dealer you have them.

And for the BMW logo.
Aftermarket company cannot buy parts with logo on, that's why there is a logo, because the part is coming from dealer.

If aftermarket sells parts with logo it's because aftermarket parts are not available and they buy parts from BMW.

It can be original without logo. Usually logo is then removed of covered so it would be allowed to sell to aftermarket.

Logo on windscreen is about 10-20 times more expensive to buy for the shop. Just because if does not go thru so many companys that takes a cut of the part.

Anyway you need to make sure the shop does this:
1. Use the expanding list between dashboard and button window. This is for reducing sharp noices from engine bay.
2. Use a new silicone pad for they rain sensor. So that the sensitivity is not reduced.
3. Does take the car out on the road for an dynamic calibration to let the car correct new angle it gets after replacing windscreen.
4. Runs a reset procedure on the rain sensor so it gets the new value of clean and dry windscreen
Appreciate 5
530iDriver1707.50
r00ts217.50
clee1982797.50
JSKS764.50
      08-17-2019, 09:20 PM   #9
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 540xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasG View Post

At least where Iive in Norway, I probably replace 10 of these for every 1 the dealer does.

But ofcourse you can find people that suck at their job and don't care. There is more of those then the ones that care.

And for the BMW logo.
Aftermarket company cannot buy parts with logo on, that's why there is a logo, because the part is coming from dealer.

If aftermarket sells parts with logo it's because aftermarket parts are not available and they buy parts from BMW.

It can be original without logo. Usually logo is then removed of covered so it would be allowed to sell to aftermarket.

Logo on windscreen is about 10-20 times more expensive to buy for the shop. Just because if does not go thru so many companys that takes a cut of the part.

1. Use the expanding list between dashboard and button window. This is for reducing sharp noices from engine bay.
2. Use a new silicone pad for they rain sensor. So that the sensitivity is not reduced.
3. Does take the car out on the road for an dynamic calibration to let the car correct new angle it gets after replacing windscreen.
4. Runs a reset procedure on the rain sensor so it gets the new value of clean and dry windscreen
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasG View Post

And for the BMW logo.

I had mine replaced 2 years ago. Did it in my driveway. Everything worked fine when they were done, nothing was recalibrated.

I did use BMW windshield because that was only available option.

Only problem i had was strip on rear window got caught in top side bars. Annoyed me so i popped bars off and fixed.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 11:38 AM   #10
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

My private mechanic recommended an independent local glass place. It seems the dealer here would use an outside service anyway and I was told there are two types of "OEM" windshields where the only difference is the BMW logo. We shall see - I'll report my results....
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 02:01 PM   #11
r00ts
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX50

Thanks everyone! I appreciate your advice and info.

Regarding dealer vs independent shop, I actually chose the indy shop because my local dealer said they outsource glass replacement to another company. I found out a few yrs ago when I inquired them to replace the windshield on my 328i. Since they outsource, then I feel like it's better to find another shop myself so I can at least check their reviews.

This is the same shop that previously did my 328i and I was happy with their work. They do it in front of you so you can see exactly how they do it.

So anyway, I got my wife's windshield replaced yesterday. The new glass has the same marking as the old glass (I took photo of the old one and verified with the new one before they put it on). The only difference is there's a number 18 vs 19, which must be the manufacture date. The photo below is the old windshield with 18, because the car was built in September 2018.

Regarding camera calibration, the shop owner advised me to take the car to the dealer to have them do it. He said most likely everything should work as is, but having calibration is better and he said the insurance company should also pay for it. He further said that he's actually acquiring a calibration tool for his shop but it won't get there for another month. So when he gets it, he'll be able to do calibration himself (but it'll be a separate charge on top of the replacement cost).

On the drive home, I tested the lane departure warning. It seems like with the new windshield, the warning (vibration on the steering wheel) comes a bit late. IIRC previously it would vibrate before the tires hit the line, but with the new windshield it only starts to vibrate when the tires are already on the line. So I guess this is a calibration issue.

The other thing I noticed yesterday when I pulled into my garage is usually the display will automatically switch to the parking mode, but it didn't do it yesterday. But I can't remember if it always does that or not previously as I don't drive her car very often. Will need to test this further.

If anybody's interested in seeing the back of the camera housing on the windshield, I took these photos.
Attached Images

Last edited by r00ts; 08-18-2019 at 02:16 PM..
Appreciate 2
      08-20-2019, 03:16 AM   #12
AndreasG
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530e

You dont need to calibrate anything to have it work.

But you need to calibrate everything for it to work exactly as it is supposed to.

Lane assist might work good without calibration but when you load up the trunk for a roadtrip it might not work cause its then going outside the area it works.
Just one example.

It should be calibrated. If they don't it, they are not serious.
And if they are not serious why would you trust them with the life of your passenger?
What if the window pops out when passenger airbag comes out.
No airbag for passenger and maybe someone gets killed by flying windscreen.
This is kinda important..

I'm at work now and replacing window on big truck, Volvo FH16 and we almost had an accident cause when we where starting to cut out the windscreen it fell out to the ground.

Driver has had this window for 2 years.
Appreciate 2
clee1982797.50
530iDriver1707.50
      08-20-2019, 07:57 AM   #13
jjscsix
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 540, 2016 GX460

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Louis View Post
My private mechanic recommended an independent local glass place. It seems the dealer here would use an outside service anyway and I was told there are two types of "OEM" windshields where the only difference is the BMW logo. We shall see - I'll report my results....
I would be surprised if any dealer in the U.S does not have an outside glass company do it. And the price may not be an issue in every case because the dealers no doubt get a better price than we would from an outside shop.

But it’s still worth shopping it unless insurance covers it. On many repairs, the insurance company will give you a break on your deductible if you use a shop they have deals with.
      08-20-2019, 10:02 AM   #14
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
dealer might get discount, just not sure if they will pass on to you, though in any case if I'm replacing window shield I'm going for quality not cheapest (hopefully I don't have to, but when I do definitely shop around...)
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 03:05 PM   #15
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i X M Sport

If the glass does not say BMW it’s not. My insurance company told me I was getting Infiniti one glass. I said fine. It was done at the “glass shop”. Got it back without Nissan or Infiniti on the glass and it was re done. Seems the glass shop charged for OEM for delivered equal spec to OEM. I didn’t accept the car back. Called insurance and it was a big deal with the shop owner. I actually took out my phone to start to tape his tirade and it put a stop to it. He said if something does not work I’ll take care of it. I said I just want OEM so I don’t have to worry about safety issues we won’t know about until it’s too late or lease return issues on non factory glass.

Next I video taped the exterior of my car and got it back 2 days later. I was offered a rental from my insurance Geico but declined. I had another car to use.

I bet they get away with it a the time.
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50
      08-20-2019, 08:23 PM   #16
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsf721 View Post
If the glass does not say BMW it’s not. My insurance company told me I was getting Infiniti one glass. I said fine. It was done at the “glass shop”. Got it back without Nissan or Infiniti on the glass and it was re done. Seems the glass shop charged for OEM for delivered equal spec to OEM. I didn’t accept the car back. Called insurance and it was a big deal with the shop owner. I actually took out my phone to start to tape his tirade and it put a stop to it. He said if something does not work I’ll take care of it. I said I just want OEM so I don’t have to worry about safety issues we won’t know about until it’s too late or lease return issues on non factory glass.

Next I video taped the exterior of my car and got it back 2 days later. I was offered a rental from my insurance Geico but declined. I had another car to use.

I bet they get away with it a the time.
Good job!

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0