BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications K&N filter- need to worry about the oil?

04-27-2022, 04:22 AM   #23
Knifeedge2k1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 520i 2019

Stop using k&n

They filter terribly and don't appreciably improve flow And there is the oil+MAF issue

Get a good preformance paper filter or an intake "upgrade" if you want the induction noise.

K&n is neither here nor there, in comparison with other drop in filters they're expensive, give negligible gains and is all at the cost of longevity. In comparison to proper intake upgrades, it doesn't provide anything close to the same level of induction noise or flow improvements(if they exist at all).

K&n fits squarely in the (I want to spend money to change something but I don't want to spend too much because I don't have money but I don't want to spend so little I feel like I'm not doing anything)
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 10:30 AM   #24
JKaruzas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifeedge2k1 View Post
Stop using k&n

K&n fits squarely in the (I want to spend money to change something but I don't want to spend too much because I don't have money but I don't want to spend so little I feel like I'm not doing anything)
I can appreciate that stance. I've used K&N (both drop-in filters and complete air intake systems) for 25+ years on most of my cars without issue so I am not concerned about the oil/MAF debate.

I fit squarely in the category of "I'd like a little more intake sound, and while desirable I can't see spending over $1k on the only intake system available for my car that would yield only about a 2%-3% HP gain."

Hence my question to the OP about whether or not the K&N filters made any difference in sound.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2022, 03:49 AM   #25
Knifeedge2k1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 520i 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKaruzas View Post
I can appreciate that stance. I've used K&N (both drop-in filters and complete air intake systems) for 25+ years on most of my cars without issue so I am not concerned about the oil/MAF debate.

I fit squarely in the category of "I'd like a little more intake sound, and while desirable I can't see spending over $1k on the only intake system available for my car that would yield only about a 2%-3% HP gain."

Hence my question to the OP about whether or not the K&N filters made any difference in sound.
Fair enough

So long as you know what you're getting, everyone can make their own choice

In my opinion (I've used many different drop in panel filters across a net of platforms over the years, k&n being one of them) you'll get a bit more volume from induction noise but there are many other paper panel filters that will do the same.

The effect in my view is too small to be able to make generalizations across platforms and I haven't used a k&n on the B series bimmer. Maybe my ears are getting old but even when I was 18, I don't think I could have detected the difference in a blind test
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2022, 08:21 PM   #26
Kriz2fer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw m550

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKaruzas View Post

Get bmc its the best.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2022, 03:33 PM   #27
Soad
Rep
Drives: Bmw G30540i F15 X5

Garage List
2018 BMW 540i  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by miner42 View Post
On my 2018 G30 540i the strut bar runs over the top of my air box. Does the bar need to be removed to take box off? I don't see how to do it otherwise.
I can always tell who's not an actual Car Guy
Appreciate 0