BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions 2017 BMW 5 Series Scores 5 Stars in Euro NCAP Crash Test

04-16-2017, 11:18 AM   #23
matbl
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G31

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
I don't think the manufacturers put these cars forward for testing, I think Euroncap buy the cars so there is no chance of of any tweaking.

Just recently the Ford Mustang was tested and scored badly as Ford decided to not include some safety equipment as they thought it would not be tested - at least that is how the story goes.

So in this case I guess the 520d was chosen possibly simply as it might be the best seller.
You're probably right.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2017, 08:27 PM   #24
cvn-e2
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 i8, 2017 540i (G30)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMY View Post
My dealer told me it fitted as standard when I picked up, and I notice it has the stereo cameras upfront. I get the occasional red car warning symbol pop up on the display, and frankly it's hard to know what triggers it as I didn't seem to be in imminent danger of a collision. I purposely got close to cars in front a few times but there wasn't a peep out of the system. According to the manual, the flashing red car symbol is the first stage ( in my case it disappeared before I did anything) and then comes an audible waning followed emergency breaking. However I am loathe to take the word of a salesman on something so fundamental as this ( I hope I never get into a situation where it's actually needed) so it would be good if somebody could provide some clarity on this....
I had the LCI F10 with ACC stop and go with emergency braking (so RADAR on the bumper, camera on the windshield)

It's not so much the distance between the car ahead as much it is the change in distance. If the system notices that the distance is getting smaller at a greater rate, then it pops up with the red car symbol. Then audible warning, then emergency braking. When the red car symbol pops up, it primed the brakes and locked the seat belt as well.

There were a few times where a car was turning right in front of me, and I didn't slow down since I knew it wouldn't be a factor. The system wasn't sure it would move out of the way, so it performed the actions pretty methodically, even applying some braking pressure two times before releasing it when the car in front had turned right. My setting was on early detection, so I think that probably played a part in "false" emergencies.

All in all, I got to trust it very well, especially because of the "false" emergencies it acted on. But it's no replacement for driving alert. We're still a few years away from truly autonomous cars with no intervention.
Appreciate 1
ZigmundUK443.00
      04-17-2017, 07:34 PM   #25
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Very glad to hear