BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Roof wrap considerations

11-12-2017, 04:48 AM   #1
rob__rob__rob
Rep
Drives: M550i

Roof wrap considerations

Hi guys,
Just had my roof wrapped 2018 g30, antenna had to be removed and wrapped separately.
Upon reinstallation I guess they didn't put enough silicone - water leaked in through the antenna area and wet my headliner.. very frustrating. Not sure if it's in the rear brake light as well.
Hopefully this won't cause any lasting damage to antenna unit - gps or brake light led's. Not sure if that's a sealed light or not. Any ideas? All this to say, beware when having your roof wrapped!!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 07:00 AM   #2
BananaCar
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Thanks for the tip. This is something I would not have considered. I live in a place with a lot of tropical storms and the rain literally goes side ways sometimes.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 08:43 AM   #3
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob__rob__rob View Post
Hi guys,
Just had my roof wrapped 2018 g30, antenna had to be removed and wrapped separately.
Upon reinstallation I guess they didn't put enough silicone - water leaked in through the antenna area and wet my headliner.. very frustrating. Not sure if it's in the rear brake light as well.
Hopefully this won't cause any lasting damage to antenna unit - gps or brake light led's. Not sure if that's a sealed light or not. Any ideas? All this to say, beware when having your roof wrapped!!
I experienced a leak when I had my F10 roof wrapped. I bought a second antenna and had it painted black and fitted it myself. After the firstattempt failed, I re-bonded it with the black automotive adhesive they use in bodyshops. The glue needs to be applied enough so that there are no breaks all the way around, even after pressing it down.

Too little and when you press it down, it spreads too thinly and there is a break in the seal, too much and it squirts out the sides when you press down.

I went the latter route and then wiped off the excess. After that it didn't leak.
Appreciate 0