BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Variable Damper Control VS Adaptive Drive

05-07-2018, 04:53 AM   #45
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS-UK View Post
Honest answer is I'm not so sure about 530e. If it's the dynamic dampers that's not Adaptive Drive. I know generally the M Sport cars with DDC/EDC are 10mm higher than cars with just M Sport 704 suspension. In sports mode, cars lower the suspension and you can feel it. So if you have DDC/EDC I wonder whether 530e works the same way as others.
Not sure what you are stating. Do you mean stiffens, rather than lowers?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 09:20 AM   #46
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopgearLA View Post
So I see for the 530e I optioned it is the Dynamic Handking Package with dynamic dampers... so what am I to assume this has? Does this have adaptive or only the the dynamic dampers? If so what is it’s capapabilty and feature set? I’ve read some how they prefer the standard 704 m sport suspension but in further research I found that there is no 704 m suspension in the 530e specifally so I opted for it vs nothing. Hoping it tightens a bit in sport mode?
I have a 530e with the DHP. It gives me the adaptive drive button. But it doesn't have the other features of the 550i -- no variable steering and no stronger antiroll bars. But it does include the MSport brakes.

I have had my car programmed so that it defaults to adaptive drive. I pretty much leave it there but when I want more sporty performance, I throw the shift lever to the left.

The ride is very comfortable but I don't have enough experience with a G30 with standard suspension and no experience with a G30 with sport suspension (I had the sport suspension on my previous 330e and I liked it. I didn't mind the ride (a good tradeoff for performance) but my wife hated it. I have heard that the sport suspension with the G30 is less harsh but I wasn't prepared to find out when the DHP package would give me a touch of both worlds. Happy wife, happy life.

It is amazing how little information is available from BMW on the dynamic dampers.
Appreciate 0