BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Multicontour (Comfort) Seats vs Sports Seats

06-28-2018, 04:48 PM   #45
wcbmw
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G30

"proper seat posture"? WOW
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 04:12 PM   #46
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

I’m in the same position deciding between comfort seats and sports seats. I’d definitely spec memory and lumbar support so price is virtually no different (£45), but these opinions of the comfort seats being uncomfortable and not hugging you in is a bit worrying!

So, final answer, which is best?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 07:51 PM   #47
FMIB
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

I don't think there is a final answer. End of the day its personal preference on what you find most comfortable. In my opinion, if you are from the wider generation, the comfort seats are a safer and potentially a more comfortable option. The side bolsters still squeeze you when you select sport mode
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 08:27 PM   #48
SoCal540
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 540i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMIB View Post
I don't think there is a final answer. End of the day its personal preference on what you find most comfortable. In my opinion, if you are from the wider generation, the comfort seats are a safer and potentially a more comfortable option. The side bolsters still squeeze you when you select sport mode
IMO, I really don't think there is much of a debate here... the multi contour seats are the one must have option. Again, just my 2 cents but there are far too many complaints regarding the "sport seats" whether you are skinny, fit, or heavy. I've had multi contour seats on every BMW since 2006 and I'm convinced other than maybe a Volvo or something super luxury well over $100k these are the best seats available and worth every penny.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 04:15 AM   #49
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal540 View Post
IMO, I really don't think there is much of a debate here.
That's debatable

I'm 6'6 and wide, and have flipped between comfort seats and sports seats in various BMW's over the years (numerous 5ers and X5s). This go round, I preferred the sports seats in the G30. They simply suited by body better, and I feel more 'in' them than 'on' them.

Obviously lumbar support is a must, but with sport seats now having adjustable side bolsters on the back rest, and deeper bolsters than comfort seats on the seat base, they are better for me. I can sit in my seats all day in comfort.

So the only thing which is not debatable is that its a highly subjective area and its impossible to know what will be more comfortable for someone else.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 10:20 AM   #50
SoCal540
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 540i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
Quote:
That's debatable

I'm 6'6 and wide, and have flipped between comfort seats and sports seats in various BMW's over the years (numerous 5ers and X5s). This go round, I preferred the sports seats in the G30. They simply suited by body better, and I feel more 'in' them than 'on' them.

Obviously lumbar support is a must, but with sport seats now having adjustable side bolsters on the back rest, and deeper bolsters than comfort seats on the seat base, they are better for me. I can sit in my seats all day in comfort.

So the only thing which is not debatable is that its a highly subjective area and its impossible to know what will be more comfortable for someone else.
I agree everyone is different but I have seen numerous complaints regarding the sport seats being uncomfortable if not painful to sit in and few if any on the multi contour seats so be very careful before you choose because you'll be stuck with your decision. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 10:21 AM   #51
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
That's debatable

I think you've hit the nail on the head, I just went into the dealers and tried both seats and no matter how I adjusted the comfort seats I always felt like I was sitting on them and not in them, whereas with a few quick adjustments the sports seats were perfect straight away!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 12:29 PM   #52
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
That's debatable

I agree everyone is different but I have seen numerous complaints regarding the sport seats being uncomfortable if not painful to sit in and few if any on the multi contour seats so be very careful before you choose because you'll be stuck with your decision. Good luck!
IMHO, the sports seats and they are great. Most comfortable seats I have ever had on a car. They are sofas in comparison to the standard leather seats in my old 2011 E90.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 12:30 PM   #53
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Quote:
Quote:
That's debatable

I think you've hit the nail on the head, I just went into the dealers and tried both seats and no matter how I adjusted the comfort seats I always felt like I was sitting on them and not in them, whereas with a few quick adjustments the sports seats were perfect straight away!
Exactly, with the sports seats you do feel like you are sitting in them not on them.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 12:35 PM   #54
Crisenelu
Rep
Drives: 520d M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Me View Post
I haven't confirmed yet (on it's way) but what I understand is that they even automatically adjust to firm up the side bolstering when you change the car into Sport mode.
Yes when you change mode they hug you the way you adjust the side bolsters in sport is remembered for when you switch modes. It is cool and usefull.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 01:15 PM   #55
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:
I've seen a LOT of complaints about both types - there is a whole thread on 'another popular 5 series forum' complaining about the comfort seats being uncomfortable. And of course the same exists re: sports seats.

Thats why you HAVE to try both, and why the issue is debatable.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 05:11 PM   #56
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I've seen a LOT of complaints about both types - there is a whole thread on 'another popular 5 series forum' complaining about the comfort seats being uncomfortable. And of course the same exists re: sports seats.

Thats why you HAVE to try both, and why the issue is debatable.
Definitely a good idea to try both, from my testing I think the comfort seats are for the ‘larger’ person! I’m quite slim so the sport seats fit me like a glove.

Last edited by teaston; 09-14-2018 at 05:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 04:47 PM   #57
ibk11
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SO M3 DCT

I took a bit of a leap of faith with my order, opting for Nappa comfort seats without trying out either of them in person (!). Haven't even seen a picture of them.

I'm quite used to sport seats from my M3 but figured the character of the G30 is not really as targeted towards sliding sideways around corners etc. I'm fairly slim, kinda bony so I was hoping for a bit more padding from the comfort seat

The only reason I went for Nappa is, the Dakota stuff felt like such a big downgrade after Merino on our last car, it was the first thing the missus commented on when we did the test drive. Merino was great but a little fragile - any rivets on your Levis or whatever can scuff the leather pretty badly.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 05:02 PM   #58
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibk11 View Post
I took a bit of a leap of faith with my order, opting for Nappa comfort seats without trying out either of them in person (!). Haven't even seen a picture of them.

I'm quite used to sport seats from my M3 but figured the character of the G30 is not really as targeted towards sliding sideways around corners etc. I'm fairly slim, kinda bony so I was hoping for a bit more padding from the comfort seat

The only reason I went for Nappa is, the Dakota stuff felt like such a big downgrade after Merino on our last car, it was the first thing the missus commented on when we did the test drive. Merino was great but a little fragile - any rivets on your Levis or whatever can scuff the leather pretty badly.
I can’t tell the difference between Nappa & Merino, I swear they’re the same thing with different price tags!
Appreciate 0