BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions G30 - M seats replacement

07-10-2019, 12:46 AM   #1
KresKro
Rep
Drives: BMW 520xD M sport

G30 - M seats replacement

Hi everyone,

Just a month ago I purchased my first BMW, the 520d x-drive with the M sport package.
When test driving the car I sat on the comfort seats and the dealer reassured me that the M ones are just a bit narrower. I know, stupid move from my side but I was in a rush and without a car so I ordered one.

Long story short, the seats are too narrow for me and as I travel for a living it is important for me to have a good seating position.

Do you know anyone that changed the seats? I found the multi-contour ones on eBay so I would buy them and change them (found the guys who could do it) - just asking if anyone's done it and how it went.

Also I am wondering if anyone tried replacing the foam in thigh bolsters? I was told that could be done as well and that it helps immensely.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 02:50 AM   #2
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

I can't imagine that this would be cheap or easy.

The comfort seats would require coding as there is options in idrive for configuring them.

They have adaptive head restraints aswell so the crash module would presumably need to know about them.
Appreciate 1
ramparts1120.00
      07-10-2019, 04:55 AM   #3
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport

Oh mate. I feel your pain.

I had no issues with F31 and F10 MSport seats but the G3X MSport seats thigh support is definitely narrower and IMHO uncomfortable. Dealer didn't even realise the difference between his demo's, until I pointed out the seats are different.

Ended up getting the Comfort seat option. Super comfortable especially with the Nappa leather.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 08:45 AM   #4
CLABRO
THUNDER UP!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Sport G30

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
I can't imagine that this would be cheap or easy.

The comfort seats would require coding as there is options in idrive for configuring them.

They have adaptive head restraints aswell so the crash module would presumably need to know about them.

I haven't seen anyone on here literally switch seats so I can't help you there. However, @AP is right. It's much more than just swapping in the new seats. That's the cheap/easy part (if you would even call it that) I would imagine.

The place that you found to put the seats in, did they say they'd wire them up as well and configure/code them to the iDrive and make sure you get 100% functionality from them (i.e. memory, side bolsters inflating when in sport mode, etc)?

G30 l Alpine White l M Sport Package l Executive Tier l Icon Adaptive Full LED Headlights l Mocha Nappa Leather l Multi-Contour Seats l Drivers Assistance Package l Drivers Assistance Plus Package l Dynamic Handling Package l Parking Assistance Package l Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System l M Sport Brakes l Apple Carplay
Appreciate 0