BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Valet driver disconnects dash cam - how pissed should I be?

11-15-2019, 08:30 PM   #45
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
Apples to Oranges. When was the last time you heard of one party suing another for window tint? Never?

How often do people get sued over privacy violation? All the time. Point is, if nothing is broken on the car then there isn't really any restitution here. Push too hard, the business might make an issue of the audio recording. Doubt it would go to any sort of litigation, but who wants the headache in the first place.
Lets be real every1 records everything now a days. Its first thing people do when something goes down, cellphone and record button.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 09:02 PM   #46
Our03z4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShopVac View Post
Every dash cam I have (3 different brands over 5 cars) all have a shut off voltage for park mode recording. The camera will not drain the battery dead...but it sounds like I should thank him for thinking of my cars well fair
Eh, I just like thinking people aren't as bad as they are...it screws me sometimes. The fact that he jacked with the headliner makes me take back my comment. Good luck to you and I hope it all works out!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 11:09 PM   #47
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyalpine90 View Post
Lets be real every1 records everything now a days. Its first thing people do when something goes down, cellphone and record button.
https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...m-in-your-car/

This article by Steve Lehto covers it pretty well. Video is pretty clear on the audio portion of the recording. Laws vary from state to state, so you’ll have to look it up in your own to see how applicable this is to your home state.

Last edited by pz619; 11-15-2019 at 11:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 12:21 AM   #48
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yapakanichi View Post

I'd lawyer up too for damages (foot stomp) while the car was in their hands if they don't play nice. Maybe you have a case, maybe you don't. And if you're a lawyer, stomp em.
For what damages? How are you going to prove that anything is related to what you don't know happened while it was disconnected?

You might be able to leverage an extended warranty if you can show some substantial evidence, like significantly different odometer readings, you took a picture before hand and after, can pull some data from the ECU, etc., but that could be effectively fought if you can't show that said driving was actually causing damage, leaving you with possibly recapping maybe a rental fee, since they were using your car.
      11-16-2019, 08:51 AM   #49
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShopVac View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
They have every right to disconnect the camera.
Why in the fuck would that be? It's my personal property, part of my car.
Do they have the right to go through my glove box, centre console and trunk while there?

If the lot attendant raced my car around the lot and wrecked it...I have every right to know.
You can't force them to accept being recorded.

You can attempt to record (video only) them w/out their knowledge and not get into trouble.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      11-16-2019, 10:35 AM   #50
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
There are side window stickers for sale on Amazon and other sites for ride-share drivers who have passenger-facing cameras, cautioning passengers that there are cameras recording the inside of the vehicle and that entering the door is consent to being recorded. I wonder if that is enough to be considered consent to being recorded for valet purposes?

I live in New Yorkistan, and we are a single-party consent state for audio recordings. Even so, I have the audio recording function disabled on all of my vehicle dashcams, in case I ever have to turn the raw video files over in court.....
      11-16-2019, 11:05 AM   #51
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Quote:
There are side window stickers for sale on Amazon and other sites for ride-share drivers who have passenger-facing cameras, cautioning passengers that there are cameras recording the inside of the vehicle and that entering the door is consent to being recorded. I wonder if that is enough to be considered consent to being recorded for valet purposes?

I live in New Yorkistan, and we are a single-party consent state for audio recordings. Even so, I have the audio recording function disabled on all of my vehicle dashcams, in case I ever have to turn the raw video files over in court.....
Great question, The valet may add verbiage to their ticket given to the car owner in an attempt to invalidate that. A good question for a lawyer.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614906.00
      11-19-2019, 07:17 AM   #52
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlmesq View Post
Some people think every problem in life is a way to hit the lawsuit jackpot... but any lawyer knows this situation isn't worth the time and effort to sue anybody.

And no lawyer with half a brain would try to "stomp em" because the other side would file an anti-SLAPP action, and the lawyer would end up paying the parking lot's legal fees as well.

When people start threatening to call lawyers, most businesses just say, "fine, have your lawyer call our legal department" and stop trying to resolve the issue. That's because they know the customer will suffer sticker shock when they find out a lawyer wants a $5,000 retainer to take on their ten dollar dispute.
My first job out of college was as a claim rep for State Farm. When someone threatened legal action............it was my favorite thing.

Once they threaten legal action, we informed them from this point forward we would no longer be communicating and all information would pass between their lawyer and our team of 800+ corporate lawyers.
Appreciate 1
rlmesq1038.50
      11-19-2019, 07:18 AM   #53
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Am I the only that takes a picture of the odometer any time I valet, drop off for service, etc?

But when it comes to the airport, now I just take an Uber there and back. About the same as parking would be and my car gets to stay at home in the garage.
Appreciate 1
      11-19-2019, 09:38 AM   #54
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miss Daisy

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
My first job out of college was as a claim rep for State Farm. When someone threatened legal action............it was my favorite thing.

Once they threaten legal action, we informed them from this point forward we would no longer be communicating and all information would pass between their lawyer and our team of 800+ corporate lawyers.
aka corporate america is going to screw you again b/c $
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 09:54 AM   #55
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Our03z4 View Post
Here is my guess. He unplugged it worried it would drain the battery. It was already parked when he saw the camera.
BS

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
Worth noting that some states it’s illegal to record without consent, especially audio recordings. Not taking sides here, just advising caution as your videos contain audio and PA is a 2 party consent state (assuming that’s where the video was taken).
More BS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yapakanichi View Post
This is going to be a big lesson hopefully learned. OP I say make it rain on his parade. I wouldn't allow that to happen.

I'd lawyer up too for damages (foot stomp) while the car was in their hands if they don't play nice. Maybe you have a case, maybe you don't. And if you're a lawyer, stomp em.
Get real

Quote:
They have every right to disconnect the camera.
Troll.
Appreciate 2
MKSixer34171.50
SoCal_NSX2363.00
      11-19-2019, 11:19 AM   #56
JayML
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ....

Any time I leave my car anywhere I put the actual KM on a piece of paper and leave it on the Instrument panel for anyone who moves the car to see. I do not even round the decimal point.

If its 9544.3km that is what I put. Never had a problem .
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 01:25 PM   #57
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

I’d be quite hot and let them know it. Depending on how they reacted to me knowing would dictate how I proceeded from there.
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 03:52 PM   #58
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriouslyFast View Post
It's really more the insured people are pissed they didn't read the contract and are pissed that everything isn't covered carte blanche.

So as always, RTFM.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 07:13 PM   #59
rlmesq
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i M Sport

Quote:
Quote:

Idiots who go around threatening to sue people don't need "corporate america" to screw them. They do it very nicely on their own, without help.
Appreciate 1
      11-19-2019, 09:13 PM   #60
Ric in RVA
Bergspyder
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 128i Sport 6mt

Quote:

Ha! You too?

"I am sorry I can't speak with you...since you are represented.....no you need to speak to your attorney and have them contact us......no I am hanging up now!"

Fire claims!! 28 years ago and an agent for 21 years.

Been a good run!

2011 128i 6 MT Sport, 2009 Cayman 987.2, 2011 528i N52, 2018 F150 Platinum
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 08:05 AM   #61
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric in RVA View Post
Ha! You too?

"I am sorry I can't speak with you...since you are represented.....no you need to speak to your attorney and have them contact us......no I am hanging up now!"

Fire claims!! 28 years ago and an agent for 21 years.

Been a good run!
Yep, fire claims. Specifically on the theft and PAP claims team. I didn't pass the agent personality test so I lost interest in staying.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 09:17 AM   #62
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlmesq View Post
Idiots who go around threatening to sue people don't need "corporate america" to screw them. They do it very nicely on their own, without help.
Yes, THOSE idiots, but let's not act like insurance is not a giant scam to begin with so...
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 09:20 AM   #63
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It's really more the insured people are pissed they didn't read the contract and are pissed that everything isn't covered carte blanche.

So as always, RTFM.
No one reads the fine print, man. The companies know this...
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 11:38 AM   #64
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Quote:
Yes, THOSE idiots, but let's not act like insurance is not a giant scam to begin with so...
How is it a scam? Haven't they come out recently and said like 50% of Americans would have a problem coming up with $1000 for an unexpected emergency.................how are those people going to pay for my car if they crash into it without insurance?

Quote:
No one reads the fine print, man. The companies know this...
If you enter a contract, without reading the contract, whose fault is that?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 01:33 PM   #65
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
How is it a scam? Haven't they come out recently and said like 50% of Americans would have a problem coming up with $1000 for an unexpected emergency.................how are those people going to pay for my car if they crash into it without insurance?

If you enter a contract, without reading the contract, whose fault is that?
lol come on, you're trolling. Do we get some of our premium back for not getting into an accident? Nope.

Good day
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 01:51 PM   #66
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Why don't you take the car to the dealership to see if they can download the data? I believe it does record a bit of time in the cars computer for references in the case of an accident.
Appreciate 0