BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions First Impressions. Driving the new BMW G30 530i Sedan with M Sports Package!

01-28-2017, 02:04 PM   #111
ThugzZ BunnY
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

the situation you guys are talking about theoretically shouldn't happen with the auto wipers. just adjust the sensitivity. also the vent being in idrive isn't a big deal cause they have 8 programmable keys. you can make it one button away.

Inquiries: Andrew.Wise@bmwofchattanooga.com
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2017, 02:24 PM   #112
Micleg
iX1 2022
Rep
Drives: iX1 msport, 520d F11 X08

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThugzZ BunnY View Post
the situation you guys are talking about theoretically shouldn't happen with the auto wipers. just adjust the sensitivity. also the vent being in idrive isn't a big deal cause they have 8 programmable keys. you can make it one button away.
Yeah hopefully it lets you programme one of the keys.

But the single wipe while in auto is something I use too. Sometimes the sensitivity doesn't work as intended due to salted roads etc and I want it to single wipe instead of increasing the sensitivity or I am at maximum already (this one doesn't go to eleven).
Appreciate 1
      01-28-2017, 02:30 PM   #113
ThugzZ BunnY
Major
United_States
Rep

Micleg yeah I can see how that would be a problem. never have to worry about salt here.

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2017, 02:47 PM   #114
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
For the air vent thumbwheel, it isn't a big deal. Just that I'm not sure putting everything in iDrive is a step forward. Some things are best left as simple operations.

The auto wipers and the single 'flick' wipe is (in my climate) used quite a lot. Nothing to do with sensitivity, simply wiper timing.

As an example, when I have a heavy goods vehicle coming in the opposite direction, on a country road, there is that split second where spray can hit the screen and the delay in wiper action is just too long. Only a split second, but as a driver you can anticipate and react to keep good vision. Plus other situations in varied rain types (we have that quite often in the Highlands of Scotland) where a quick wipe ensures a clear screen. Without needing to keep changing the sensitivity. There are times where a low sensitivity is best in winter driving, saves over wiping and smearing, but the single wipe can be timed perfectly for cleaning.

The present wiper function is perfect, as an auto "override" function. The G30 will be a niggle to use. Always thinking, "why did BMW change it?"
Appreciate 2
clbmw632.50
      01-28-2017, 02:58 PM   #115
Micleg
iX1 2022
Rep
Drives: iX1 msport, 520d F11 X08

Quote:
Micleg yeah I can see how that would be a problem. never have to worry about salt here.
F10 functionality together with it remembering if I had set it to auto the next time I start the car would have been the best combo. Can't see how this new way of doing it will make me happier but I hope the engineers haven't done something stupid.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2017, 03:02 PM   #116
ThugzZ BunnY
Major
United_States
Rep

HighlandPete unfortunately you are a small percentage and there are a lot of ignorant people that don't understand simple directions.

Appreciate 1
      01-28-2017, 05:20 PM   #117
Mariuss
Private First Class
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 2020 530ex

Quote:
There's now only 7 programmable keys AND I need one for the emperature wheel which leaves me with two functions I will have to miss. I'm thinking Sport displays and "call wife" will have to go, the latter can be substituted by voice control...

The single wipe is a bigger issue...
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2017, 05:59 PM   #118
Mpunk
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
For the air vent thumbwheel, it isn't a big deal. Just that I'm not sure putting everything in iDrive is a step forward. Some things are best left as simple operations.

The auto wipers and the single 'flick' wipe is (in my climate) used quite a lot. Nothing to do with sensitivity, simply wiper timing.

As an example, when I have a heavy goods vehicle coming in the opposite direction, on a country road, there is that split second where spray can hit the screen and the delay in wiper action is just too long. Only a split second, but as a driver you can anticipate and react to keep good vision. Plus other situations in varied rain types (we have that quite often in the Highlands of Scotland) where a quick wipe ensures a clear screen. Without needing to keep changing the sensitivity. There are times where a low sensitivity is best in winter driving, saves over wiping and smearing, but the single wipe can be timed perfectly for cleaning.

The present wiper function is perfect, as an auto "override" function. The G30 will be a niggle to use. Always thinking, "why did BMW change it?"
In my E92 I have an auto wiper function (a button on the side tip of the stalk) which operates independently of the one wipe function, which is activated with a single upward nudge of the wiper stalk. This was a simple and ingenious design. From reading the comments it seems they made it needlessly complex and I can't imagine how this would positively affect the vaunted Initial Quality Study. Also, the auto wipe only works with at least moderate rainfall. Often a medium mist/slight drizzle over the top/middle windshield won't even activate the automatic wipers at all.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2017, 03:20 AM   #119
nickyhaan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G30 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest 535i View Post
I disagree...It's an evergreen feature thats been on generations of BMW's. If people cant understand a simple knob god help em with the rest of the features on these cars. It simply provides cooler air on the face if desired when warmer air is on the lower torso. It doesnt need to be used at all when cooling in summer. Just keep on cold.

BMW isn't ditching the feature, they just made it even more complex and 3 steps away burying it in iDrive. I guess thats progress.
Any chance you can put it on one of the numbered buttons?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2017, 05:22 AM   #120
ThreethirtyDee
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 530d M Sport

There's a separate "Menu" button on the climate control panel that'll get you to it quickly

Last edited by ThreethirtyDee; 01-30-2017 at 02:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2017, 11:08 AM   #121
TheHouseWon
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Hi Dave. I plan on keeping and modding the m5 for a long time, but I would love your help convincing the wife that she needs an X5M

Where is your dealership located?
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2017, 11:49 AM   #122
pharding
Major
Rep
Drives: 23 Audi Q4 e-tron + 14 X3 28i

Hi Dave. That was a great write up. I am looking at the 54i X Drive. I like a sporty ride and feel to the car. Which suspension makes the most sense in that regard? 704 M Sport Suspension, Dynamic Damper Control or the Dynamic handling Package?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2017, 01:04 PM   #123
note46
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M Coupe, 328d SW, i4

Has anyone mentioned that the turn signal stalk now operates the way it used to? When using the turn signal past the detent, it doesn't auto return anymore. Welcome change IMO.
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2017, 02:57 PM   #124
Rearview
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Back on topic - G30 lines are nice. Interior looks nice. I will wait a year or two recalling the issues with the 2011 and 2011-2013 N63's.

That said, a 2 year lease might be interesting. I get bored fast!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 03:09 AM   #125
clbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest 535i View Post
They really killed the vent temp knob? I am not being sarcastic, but I love that thing. I am constantly fine-tuning on my F'10 and I mean that in a good way.

So STUPID to shove it into the idrive.

Damn them...
+1

Why move one of the most used and important controls to a sub menu?

I wonder if the gesture control can detect a shivering frozen shaking fist and a driver swearing?
Appreciate 1
JDubz69.00
      01-30-2017, 11:19 PM   #126
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHouseWon View Post
Hi Dave. I plan on keeping and modding the m5 for a long time, but I would love your help convincing the wife that she needs an X5M

Where is your dealership located?
Hey bud, I'm over at BMW of Vista now. Stop by when I'm working, would love to hang out anytime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharding View Post
Hi Dave. That was a great write up. I am looking at the 54i X Drive. I like a sporty ride and feel to the car. Which suspension makes the most sense in that regard? 704 M Sport Suspension, Dynamic Damper Control or the Dynamic handling Package?
Although I haven't driven the new G30 without the M Sports Package yet, I will say that the M Sports suspension was very good. I am going to try and do an extended test drive of a 540i tomorrow and I'm going to be bringing my Nikon camera as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
Dave - can you shoot a video of one with a cocaine white interior?
HAHA! Dude I totally forgot about that! I need to make a video with me saying that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Tsang View Post
I don't believe they are, if you look at the picture, I believe it looks like one touch down is now single wipe
Yes I actually tested this today on the G30. One click down does do a single wipe.

Quote:
they got rid of the climate dial cause of IQS. along with the auto wiper button, the lock button in the middle, and the blinkers now stick instead of going back. i wrote my thoughts on the drive in another thread somewhere after i got back from the training in Austin. i'll keep it short by saying it is leaps and bounds better than the f10 in every aspect. more comfortable, great balance, steering feels much better but still isn't hydraulic, the chassis is amazing, and the car feels so much lighter than what it is.
we just got a 530i and a 540i in yesterday. all 5 series will be sold at MSRP until inventory is full.
Indeed it's all of the IQS's fault. Lol! No, back in the day when I owned an E60 I actually liked having to go through the iDrive to change the climate of vent, it make me feel like the interior was less cluttered with dials, switches and buttons. They do make it intuitive on the G30 though, so that reaching that feature isn't really a pain.

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 05:52 PM   #127
Axxlrod
Dude man
Rep
Drives: X5/X7/Acura NSX

Hey Dave. I heard BMW Vista was bought by AutoNation a few months ago? That true?

Wondering because I've never been able to get a good deal from an Automation dealer. Too corporate.

Hopefully you can get us local forum guys a good deal so I don't have to keep going up to LA to get my new cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 11:04 PM   #128
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
Hey Dave. I heard BMW Vista was bought by AutoNation a few months ago? That true?

Wondering because I've never been able to get a good deal from an Automation dealer. Too corporate.

Hopefully you can get us local forum guys a good deal so I don't have to keep going up to LA to get my new cars.
It is Autonation now. Hit me up on a PM and we'll talk.

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 06:09 PM   #129
cb_g30
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G30 530i M-sport

Question, my 2014 328i lease up is in august, when can I do early return and get the 2017 5 series? 3months or 6months?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 06:54 PM   #130
TheHouseWon
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Guys, Dave is the real deal. There is no one more passionate about M5's in the US (and every M5 owner that mods their car has seen Dave's M5 on youtube!). I can 100% vouch for his authenticity and deep knowledge of the brand.

I know you will do well at Vista, Dave!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2017, 06:47 AM   #131
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryannnlin View Post
Question, my 2014 328i lease up is in august, when can I do early return and get the 2017 5 series? 3months or 6months?
6 months but Bmw will only pay for the last 3 payments of your lease with pull ahead program. So you will have to either wait for the last 3 or pay for the other remaining months within the first 3 months of your last 6 payments.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2017, 06:48 AM   #132
Bostongio
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 540i xDrive M Sport

Garage List
On my E60, I never understood the stratified air temperature setting and why BMW is different than every other car maker. Most people think, "Hey, the air coming out of the events is too hot, let me turn down my personal temperature control with this handy temperature knob right here."

Why make two controls that both affect temperature? It seems overly complicated and largely unnecessary. I only need one control for temperature!
Appreciate 0