BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Variable Damper Control VS Adaptive Drive

04-22-2018, 09:33 AM   #23
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by delrosa81 View Post
Yes, I’m aware but I’m rather old school, flushing out the metal particles of a new engine before pushing it hard.
Fair comment.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2018, 07:11 PM   #24
delrosa81
Delrosa81
Singapore
Rep
Drives: G30 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by delrosa81 View Post
Yes, I'm aware but I'm rather old school, flushing out the metal particles of a new engine before pushing it hard.
Fair comment.
Thanks John
      05-04-2018, 10:29 AM   #25
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

My wife is ordering a 540i and we are trying to decide which suspension to get.In Canada we get three suspension options,the Standard Suspension,the M Sport Plus Pacakge for $2000 which gives the blue m brakes and also dynamic damper control,then we also have the Adaptive Drive Package for $3500 and that gets adaptive dampers and adaptive anti roll bars.

Does this mean that the standard suspension is just a passive system that doesn’t change at all when you select comfort or sport on the buttons next to the gear shifter?Are those selections just for throttle and steering response in the base car?

Also,is the dynamic damper control in the M Sport Plue Package exactly the same as adaptive dampers in the Adaptive Drive Package?Is the only difference that the Adaptive Drive Package also includes those adaptive anti roll bars?

I just want to make sure she is able to have a comfortable ride when she drives on bumpy roads but still has a sporty good handling car.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 10:54 AM   #26
TopgearLA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Med Blue 530e M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantucket View Post
My wife is ordering a 540i and we are trying to decide which suspension to get.In Canada we get three suspension options,the Standard Suspension,the M Sport Plus Pacakge for $2000 which gives the blue m brakes and also dynamic damper control,then we also have the Adaptive Drive Package for $3500 and that gets adaptive dampers and adaptive anti roll bars.

Does this mean that the standard suspension is just a passive system that doesn’t change at all when you select comfort or sport on the buttons next to the gear shifter?Are those selections just for throttle and steering response in the base car?

Also,is the dynamic damper control in the M Sport Plue Package exactly the same as adaptive dampers in the Adaptive Drive Package?Is the only difference that the Adaptive Drive Package also includes those adaptive anti roll bars?

I just want to make sure she is able to have a comfortable ride when she drives on bumpy roads but still has a sporty good handling car.
From what i understand, after months of research and testdrives:
you are correct about standard although its a lot better than it has been in the past. Only thing that fools you is the steering and gas adjustments in those other modes.

M sport suspension is lower by hair and if it also has dynamic damper thats awesome and probably a great choice in between as even standard M sport suspension (without dynamic) isn't rough as it once was. I have a Dynamic M Sport suspension in my current 435i and i couldn't live without it, its better than the loaners i've driven from BMW that you'd think would go softer over bumps and holes.

The Adaptive i'd imagine is the same ride height as standard and is actually a button you push and it adjusts to roads and other things like turns but from what i have read it also predicts based on Navigation if you set it: which is interesting and makes me want to use it more i guess. The adaptive does adjust based on your settings too though like comfort, sport, eco.

If the M Sport Plus package also has said adaptive button that sounds like your goldilocks if you even care about the feature, but honestly just dynamic sounds fine with me unless you care about intuitive turn and course prediction.

I ordered a 530e which only has either standard or Adaptive package as options so I opted for adaptive which comes with faux blue M pads (in the 530e they're just painted not the same brakes as you'd get on yours)

If i could have I probably would have gotten the M Sport Plus you are speaking of, in the states we don't even get that option/package until you get a m550ix. The adaptive will just be a bit more comfy and smart about adjustments but I'd sacrifice that for the lower ride height if your M sport has the dynamic.

Last edited by TopgearLA; 05-04-2018 at 11:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 01:33 PM   #27
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopgearLA View Post
you are correct about standard although its a lot better than it has been in the past. Only thing that fools you is the steering and gas adjustments in those other modes.

M sport suspension is lower by hair and if it also has dynamic damper thats awesome and probably a great choice in between as even standard M sport suspension (without dynamic) isn't rough as it once was. I have a Dynamic M Sport suspension in my current 435i and i couldn't live without it, its better than the loaners i've driven from BMW that you'd think would go softer over bumps and holes.

The Adaptive i'd imagine is the same ride height as standard and is actually a button you push and it adjusts to roads and other things like turns but from what i have read it also predicts based on Navigation if you set it: which is interesting and makes me want to use it more i guess. The adaptive does adjust based on your settings too though like comfort, sport, eco.

If the M Sport Plus package also has said adaptive button that sounds like your goldilocks if you even care about the feature, but honestly just dynamic sounds fine with me unless you care about intuitive turn and course prediction.

I ordered a 530e which only has either standard or Adaptive package as options so I opted for adaptive which comes with faux blue M pads (in the 530e they're just painted not the same brakes as you'd get on yours)

If i could have I probably would have gotten the M Sport Plus you are speaking of, in the states we don't even get that option/package until you get a m550ix. The adaptive will just be a bit more comfy and smart about adjustments but I'd sacrifice that for the lower ride height if your M sport has the dynamic.
Sorry M Sport + does not have ADaptive I have both and "Adaptive is just great, the ride quality and cornering is much improved over STD.
But at a cost........ some or most may thing it's not for them, but I think it makes the ride.
TopgearLA119.50
      05-04-2018, 04:52 PM   #28
TopgearLA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5 View Post
Sorry M Sport + does not have ADaptive I have both and "Adaptive is just great, the ride quality and cornering is much improved over STD.
But at a cost........ some or most may thing it's not for them, but I think it makes the ride.
Yeah I didn’t so either but dynamic alone is better than not.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 06:53 PM   #29
SW19
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Thanks for the info.We are going back to the dealer on Monday to take another test drive in a couple of cars to compare the ride of the two different adaptive suspensions.The M Sport Suspension also comes standard on the 540i in Canada,so that is the standard passive suspension on the 540i in Canada.

Here are some screenshots of the two different packages.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 07:03 PM   #30
TopgearLA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the info.We are going back to the dealer on Monday to take another test drive in a couple of cars to compare the ride of the two different adaptive suspensions.The M Sport Suspension also comes standard on the 540i in Canada,so that is the standard passive suspension on the 540i in Canada.

Here are some screenshots of the two different packages.
Oh didn’t know xdrive- that makes a difference in height then as I’m assuming it’s not lowered in m sport as xdrive rides much higher. That adaptive writing you see near the other buttons is actually a button itself FYi which makes me question the picture in your m sport plus as I see it written there too- could be an error but I also see your adaptive package has the anti roll bars.

If I was a betting man I’d say the roll bars is the difference in the adaptive package and possibly variable steering. you might actually get adaptive in your m sport + even though a lot of us don’t. That’s what stands out as the roll bars aren’t part of the others packages. I don’t think I’d pay $1500 extra for the roll bars if you don’t get the m brakes. Personally I’d still go for the m sport plus if it states coming with dynamic suspension.

Last edited by TopgearLA; 05-04-2018 at 07:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 07:49 PM   #31
SW19
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Oh didn’t know xdrive- that makes a difference in height then as I’m assuming it’s not lowered in m sport as xdrive rides much higher. That adaptive writing you see near the other buttons is actually a button itself FYi which makes me question the picture in your m sport plus as I see it written there too- could be an error but I also see your adaptive package has the anti roll bars.

If I was a betting man I’d say the roll bars is the difference in the adaptive package and possibly variable steering. you might actually get adaptive in your m sport + even though a lot of us don’t. That’s what stands out as the roll bars aren’t part of the others packages. I don’t think I’d pay $1500 extra for the roll bars if you don’t get the m brakes. Personally I’d still go for the m sport plus if it states coming with dynamic suspension.
Yes,that is probably what we will do.Just want to try out both suspensions.For some stupid reason BMW Canada is only bringing in the 5 series with xdrive.I’m sure we could still do a special order for rear wheel drive but all of the dealers only have xdrive.I already told the SA that we would prefer rear wheel drive.No error in the M Sport Plus Package.The buttons are shown for that package.They don’t show the buttons when you select the Adaptive Drive option,only shows the display in idrive for that option.At least that is what the configurator shows.We will find out for sure when we drive the cars.

The variable steering is also a separate option.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 08:31 PM   #32
TopgearLA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes,that is probably what we will do.Just want to try out both suspensions.For some stupid reason BMW Canada is only bringing in the 5 series with xdrive.I’m sure we could still do a special order for rear wheel drive but all of the dealers only have xdrive.I already told the SA that we would prefer rear wheel drive.No error in the M Sport Plus Package.The buttons are shown for that package.They don’t show the buttons when you select the Adaptive Drive option,only shows the display in idrive for that option.At least that is what the configurator shows.We will find out for sure when we drive the cars.

The variable steering is also a separate option.
Integral is different than variable unless it’s just in your screen cap. Variable adjusts the steering ratio where integral actually turns the rear wheel. Funny enough I really wanted the integral but some people dislike it
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2018, 03:00 AM   #33
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:

If the M Sport Plus package also has said adaptive button that sounds like your goldilocks if you even care about the feature, but honestly just dynamic sounds fine with me unless you care about intuitive turn and course prediction
I think you've confused Adaptive button and Adaptive Drive. They are not the same. Button next to Eco, Comfort and Sports buttons is a driving mode. That's not the same as option "Adaptive Drive" which is always on in cars that it's specified on.
Appreciate 1
TopgearLA119.50
      05-05-2018, 03:22 AM   #34
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

If the M Sport Plus package also has said adaptive button that sounds like your goldilocks if you even care about the feature, but honestly just dynamic sounds fine with me unless you care about intuitive turn and course prediction
I think you've confused Adaptive button and Adaptive Drive. They are not the same. Button next to Eco, Comfort and Sports buttons is a driving mode. That's not the same as option "Adaptive Drive" which is always on in cars that it's specified on.
Appreciate 1
TopgearLA119.50
      05-05-2018, 04:38 AM   #35
morellomax
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440i xDrive convertible

Quote:
Oh didn’t know xdrive- that makes a difference in height then as I’m assuming it’s not lowered in m sport as xdrive rides much higher.
This is also wrong. Xdrive on G30/G31 does not affect ride height.
Appreciate 1
SW192465.00
      05-05-2018, 04:39 AM   #36
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Integral is different than variable unless it’s just in your screen cap. Variable adjusts the steering ratio where integral actually turns the rear wheel. Funny enough I really wanted the integral but some people dislike it
Definitely some confusion from the screen shot. IAS in the G30 doesn't have the planetary variable front steering as described, it had the simpler VSS with a variable cut rack, plus the rear steering feature.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2018, 04:40 AM   #37
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by morellomax View Post
VDC/DDC will change the ride height, up 10mm from passive M-sport suspension height.
Appreciate 1
TopgearLA119.50
      05-05-2018, 04:47 AM   #38
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS-UK View Post
As you say, AD is always active, simply has the added Adaptive mode, as do the VDC/DDC models. AD has two base programs, working in the background according to selected modes. Adaptive mode allows the 'overlap' according to driving style, conditions, etc., like Adaptive mode does for other driving functions.
Appreciate 3
ADS-UK498.50
SW192465.00
TopgearLA119.50
      05-05-2018, 04:56 AM   #39
TopgearLA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by morellomax View Post
So m sport in x Drive is as low as regular m sport?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2018, 05:08 AM   #40
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
...I just want to make sure she is able to have a comfortable ride when she drives on bumpy roads but still has a sporty good handling car.
Adaptive Drive, (DDC + ARS) will give the best compromise for comfort and a good handling car. DDC on its own won't be such a good handling car.
Appreciate 2
SW192465.00
TopgearLA119.50
      05-05-2018, 05:09 AM   #41
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
So m sport in x Drive is as low as regular m sport?
If you have passive M-sport suspension (704).

BMW material:

Quote:
Lowered M Sport suspension is another option, and can now be combined with BMW xDrive if so desired.
Appreciate 2
SW192465.00
TopgearLA119.50
      05-05-2018, 02:52 PM   #42
TopgearLA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Good to know. Thanks for the clarification as I’ve only test driven, still awaiting my own delivery and only found online info and the dealers are not well informed at all. hence why I always mentioned assumptions here.
Appreciate 1
ADS-UK498.50
      05-05-2018, 03:00 PM   #43
TopgearLA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So I see for the 530e I optioned it is the Dynamic Handking Package with dynamic dampers... so what am I to assume this has? Does this have adaptive or only the the dynamic dampers? If so what is it’s capapabilty and feature set? I’ve read some how they prefer the standard 704 m sport suspension but in further research I found that there is no 704 m suspension in the 530e specifally so I opted for it vs nothing. Hoping it tightens a bit in sport mode?

Last edited by TopgearLA; 05-05-2018 at 03:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2018, 03:39 PM   #44
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
So I see for the 530e I optioned it is the Dynamic Handking Package with dynamic dampers... so what am I to assume this has? Does this have adaptive or only the the dynamic dampers? If so what is it's capapabilty and feature set? I've read some how they prefer the standard 704 m sport suspension but in further research I found that there is no 704 m suspension in the 530e specifally so I opted for it vs nothing. Hoping it tightens a bit in sport mode?
Honest answer is I'm not so sure about 530e. If it's the dynamic dampers that's not Adaptive Drive. I know generally the M Sport cars with DDC/EDC are 10mm higher than cars with just M Sport 704 suspension. In sports mode, cars lower the suspension and you can feel it. So if you have DDC/EDC I wonder whether 530e works the same way as others.
Appreciate 1
TopgearLA119.50