BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Steering Wheels!

09-22-2017, 02:01 PM   #23
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

The SE wheel isn't a bad looker though...
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 02:23 PM   #24
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

I was thinking the same.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 03:19 PM   #25
nsa100
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 540i & G30 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
That's clearly wrong as he ordered an M Sport which includes M Sport steering wheel, and didn't receive it.

NSA - put the last 7 digits of your VIN in here http://bimmer.work/ and see if it has

"710 - M Leather Steering Wheel - M Lederlenkrad"

If it doesn't, then perhaps the dealer messed up. If it does, then the factory messed up because that is not the 710 steering wheel.

I checked my VIN (already assembled) and 710 is on there. I asked a Genius to confirm and he said 100% my car has the M Sport steering wheel but that isn't worth much as he can't physically see it

Just checked on bimmer.work and it states:

255 Sports Leather Steering Wheel Sport-lederlenkrad

The picture of the interior also shows the same wheel that is fitted

So no M Sport Wheel

As I said I do like the look of the wheel (when I test drove an G30 with M Sport wheel, I actually think the M Sport wheel looks cheap with all the silver plastic) I also felt the rim was a little thick.

The one that is fitted feels good and looks a little more sophisticated.

I still prefer the M Sport wheel that was on my F11 M Sport.

The question is has the dealer made a mistake( can they specify different wheels), or have they run out of M Sport Wheels? and will it affect resale in the future? Or maybe it will increase the value of the car as it is more bespoke/individual

I will speak to the dealer when I get chance to try and find out what has happened.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 03:42 PM   #26
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa100 View Post
Just checked on bimmer.work and it states:

255 Sports Leather Steering Wheel Sport-lederlenkrad

The picture of the interior also shows the same wheel that is fitted

So no M Sport Wheel

As I said I do like the look of the wheel (when I test drove an G30 with M Sport wheel, I actually think the M Sport wheel looks cheap with all the silver plastic) I also felt the rim was a little thick.

The one that is fitted feels good and looks a little more sophisticated.

I still prefer the M Sport wheel that was on my F11 M Sport.

The question is has the dealer made a mistake( can they specify different wheels), or have they run out of M Sport Wheels? and will it affect resale in the future? Or maybe it will increase the value of the car as it is more bespoke/individual

I will speak to the dealer when I get chance to try and find out what has happened.
Okay, so the factory purposefully put that steering wheel in. The next question would be "why?". Is it a touring thing?

I think if you like the steering wheel, then just push for some form of compensation. The dealer doesn't know you prefer this one, and the car when you ordered it was stated to have an M Sport steering wheel.

You could end up with a double win here.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 03:50 PM   #27
nsa100
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Okay, so the factory purposefully put that steering wheel in. The next question would be "why?". Is it a touring thing?

I think if you like the steering wheel, then just push for some form of compensation. The dealer doesn't know you prefer this one, and the car when you ordered it was stated to have an M Sport steering wheel.

You could end up with a double win here.
If only.....Maybe they will give me MPPSK that I have been asking them about when it is finally available in the UK

I'm pretty upset how the dealer has handled my whole purchase and hand over. But that's another story. (I do feel like a rant)
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 03:54 PM   #28
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
If only.....Maybe they will give me MPPSK that I have been asking them about when it is finally available in the UK

I'm pretty upset how the dealer has handled my whole purchase and hand over. But that's another story. (I do feel like a rant)
I think you're definitely within rights to ask for something (perhaps not an MPPSK ). Most cases I have seen of messed up configs have resulted in something. Sometimes its a £100 credit, sometimes its more; depends on circumstances. But something is better than nothing.

Feel free to start a rant thread - thats what the forum is here for. Its good therapy, and after that just enjoy your new car!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 04:06 PM   #29
Flyingscotsman
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: G30 520d se

Is it because you have the heated steering wheel??
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 04:11 PM   #30
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingscotsman View Post
Is it because you have the heated steering wheel??
The M Sport wheel can be heated and have adaptive CC, so its not that.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 04:13 PM   #31
Laki021
Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive

It's not plastic on the M wheel, it's a real metal, aluminium.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 04:14 PM   #32
Flyingscotsman
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: G30 520d se

Quote:
The M Sport wheel can be heated and have adaptive CC, so its not that.
Bang goes that theory!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 04:17 PM   #33
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingscotsman View Post
Bang goes that theory!
(Obviously just guessing here, but) still might be a case of the heated M Sport wheel being out of stock though. So replaced with heated SE wheel

I dunno, this is going to bug me until there is a confirmed answer
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 04:18 PM   #34
Laki021
Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive

I like the standard wheel as well, but I would demand to replace it immediately, even if that means taking off some of the cars in the stock.

But you really need to check what is it that you ordered, maybe at that moment they had some crazy setup, M with SE wheel, who knows. VIN is not helpful here since it's just telling you what is actually in your car and not what you ordered.

They cannot put the wrong wheel just because they are out of stock of the right one. In this case car delivery would have to be delayed.
If they could do this, they could out whatever they want on the car, why stopping at the st wheel, let's put 16" rims as well
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 04:45 PM   #35
nsa100
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki021 View Post
I like the standard wheel as well, but I would demand to replace it immediately, even if that means taking off some of the cars in the stock.

But you really need to check what is it that you ordered, maybe at that moment they had some crazy setup, M with SE wheel, who knows. VIN is not helpful here since it's just telling you what is actually in your car and not what you ordered.

They cannot put the wrong wheel just because they are out of stock of the right one. In this case car delivery would have to be delayed.
If they could do this, they could out whatever they want on the car, why stopping at the st wheel, let's put 16" rims as well
As far as I am aware we here in the UK cannot change what is specified in the M Sport package. Just double checked the online configurator for G31 M Sport and it shows the M Sport Wheel. Also shows it in the brochure.

From memory the other car that they had in the showroom (which turns out was for me but I changed the colour they forgot to cancel) was there yesterday when I collected mine, also had the SE wheel.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2017, 02:07 AM   #36
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

What I was gonna throw at here was already covered about the "misplaced" steering wheel.I find this non M steering wheel nicer looking , M Steering Wheel is thicker (it must be like that for a reason ) and it's just round whereas Luxury Package's is more pleasant to me
They could have informed you that they run out of M Sport Wheel that's why they would fail to deliver the car just in time and it would take longer than usual because of that but may be they took the matters in their own hands without asking your permission because they might have thought that you would have gone crazy and huffy due to delays for it ,just saying
Happy Driving, your car is cool in this state trust me
      09-23-2017, 03:06 AM   #37
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:

As far as I am aware we here in the UK cannot change what is specified in the M Sport package. Just double checked the online configurator for G31 M Sport and it shows the M Sport Wheel. Also shows it in the brochure.

From memory the other car that they had in the showroom (which turns out was for me but I changed the colour they forgot to cancel) was there yesterday when I collected mine, also had the SE wheel.
I really think you need to find out what has happened just like others have said. I know you like the steering but if we let them put whatever they want then what is the point of building a car to a spec. I wouldn?t rule out a rogue dealer in this instance.

As for colour change, it doesn?t create a new order number as far as I?m aware. So, that only means they decided to go ahead buy that one to their stock and build you a new one. If that?s the case then they have actually played around with your car spec. I know it?s speculation but it?s worth demanding to find real answers. As mobilejo said, at the least you?ll get something for the error.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2017, 09:35 AM   #38
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Something to consider whilst deciding whether you want to stick or twist: the M sport wheel is a smaller circumference so it's a little more 'responsive' to your inputs, I saw it in a technical doc but can't remember the exact size differences.

The rim is also thicker as you noted - whether that is good or bad depends on whether you have absolute gorilla sized hands like me, or smaller hands.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2017, 09:40 AM   #39
nsa100
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Something to consider whilst deciding whether you want to stick or twist: the M sport wheel is a smaller circumference so it's a little more 'responsive' to your inputs, I saw it in a technical doc but can't remember the exact size differences.

The rim is also thicker as you noted - whether that is good or bad depends on whether you have absolute gorilla sized hands like me, or smaller hands.

That is interesting, because I found the steering a little 'slow'. But I have been driving the wife's M5 for the past 3 weeks since I sold my F11.

Thanks for the heads up on that.

I have a call into the dealer since this morning. I am waiting for Salesman to call me back. He promised he was going to call me yesterday to see if all was OK but that never happened! This is one of the reasons I am a little pissed with the attitude of the salesman, as it has been like this through the whole purchase experience.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2017, 10:53 AM   #40
nsa100
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Seems someone else has the same problem!

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho....php?t=1045713
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2017, 11:07 AM   #41
Jit_340i
South Africa
Rep
Drives: Glacier Silver F30 335i

When you configure on the bmw South Africa website, it defaults to the sport steering wheel for the m sport package. Maybe there?s a production issue with the m sport steering wheels. The sport steering wheel looks cooler tho and is the same shape as the one on the 7 series.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2017, 12:52 PM   #42
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Seems someone else has the same problem!

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho....php?t=1045713
That thread is entertaining to say the least. Accusations of trolling & intentional misleading - oh the drama

Whats odd is that the original poster posted on 11 August about the M wheel supply issue (in Estonia, granted) and between then and your delivery, numerous cars have come out with the M wheel, suggesting there was no issue. Then your arrives without the M wheel suggesting there is an issue.

My car finished assembly around a week ago and shows the M wheel fitted on the VIN decoder, yours was probably assembled maybe 2 weeks prior to mine. However, I don't have a heated wheel or ACC...
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2017, 02:59 PM   #43
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki021 View Post
It's not plastic on the M wheel, it's a real metal, aluminium.
Interesting. I assumed it was plastic because, well, "BMW ennit". But admittedly I didn't really pay any attention to it.

Is it the same as the metal used at the bottom edge of the trim that runs across the top of the dash and door cards?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 09:59 AM   #44
morellomax
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440i xDrive convertible

Quote:
That thread is entertaining to say the least. Accusations of trolling & intentional misleading - oh the drama
It's a shame but Bimmerfest G30 forum seems to be like that at the moment. Hard to bite your lip sometimes....
Appreciate 0