BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Driving Assistance Plus - experiences so far

06-05-2018, 03:48 AM   #1
rb999
Registered
Rep
Drives: G30 530d

Driving Assistance Plus - experiences so far

I've had my G30 530d almost a year now and was wondering how others are getting on with the Driver Assistance Plus. There are some good points, but I have also experienced a fair few niggles and "bugs/features' too.

- active cruise control can be so late sometimes (even with gradually slowing traffic) that it causes the red warning and sound. I do not understand why this should be necessary. Going around a roundabout can also be interesting. Occasionally it will loose the car ahead and suddenly accelerate. I have got used to cancelling this on roundabout approach.
- stop and go , it will accelerate quite abruptly as a gap in a traffic queue opens up. The level of acceleration appears to be based on the target speed, but seems pretty useless, when the queue is still moving at a relatively slow speed. Similarly after accelerating hard it will brake hard. I think I'd prefer a more "smoother" control, especially when your in comfort mode, or even the option to change the settings.

- lane follow - Whilst on motorways/highways it manages to detect the white lines without problems, the steering is fairly amateurish, making constant steering wheel movement to stay on an extended curve, whereas in manual driving you'd be able to fix the wheel position. It's as if the integration period for the look ahead is much too small (perhaps a function of the camera detect system). Also I find it tends too much to hug one side of the carriageway. I drive mainly in UK and France and in both cases I find it drive much too close (for comfort) to the right land in France and the left lane in the UK. This can be a big problem in France where motocycles are legally allowed to pass between cars in the outer two lanes.
- speed assist. This can cause overtly strong braking if not used carefully. E.g you are travelling from high speed into a low speed area. the speed assist drops the green indicator. You hit the button and suddenly it brakes hard to meet the required speed. I have now got used to flicking the speed button up to clear the speed assist target and then dropping it down gradually.
- stop , warning signs and speed signs. It does not appear to detect all stop and warning signs. Overhead light panel speed limits on "smart motorways" such as the UK M25 tends to be a bit hit and miss.

Overall I find it does lead to more relaxed driving, particularly on motorways and in traffic queues from a physical point of view (limited/no foot pedal, light steering wheel touch etc), but it does require more mental monitoring of the system displays and warnings.

I'd also be interested to know whether this system is (or can be) automatically updated from time to time, or whether its something that you would expect only a dealer would do.

regs
RB
Appreciate 1
SDRX204.00
      06-05-2018, 05:38 AM   #2
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Agree with most of that but personally find the acc without fault and certainly better than in the f10. Find it smooth all the time but I think target speed may determine how fast it accelerates to catch up.
Lane following yes bias to the lbs in the U.K. , get used to it but would prefer it to be cantered.

I strongly would suggest not using acc for roundabouts , that could land you in trouble.

Traffic jam assist is the best part of it in my opinion.

Not aware of any updates to it but if there were that would presumably be via an I step change .
Could ask a dealer but as everyone here seems to be saying the same thing about it it suggests there are no changes made of yet.
Appreciate 1
ZigmundUK436.00
      06-05-2018, 06:18 AM   #3
ArchJR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 i4 xDrive40

I try to think of the active steering as the safety system BMW intended, not the autonomous mode we wish for. In that regard it lets me relax a bit on highways and some B-roads, but I never assume the car will steer itself through intersections, unclear lane markings, and certainly not roundabouts.

On the fuel efficiency front, it is unfortunate that the car accelerates towards the selected speed to close a gap even if I can see traffic ahead slowing for a red light. I would also change lanes on a highway to maintain speed without the system, while with ACC I tend to slow down with traffic in my lane and then change lanes and waste fuel getting back up to speed. It will be along time before these systems anticipate traffic ahead and in multiple lanes to pilot an efficient course.

The ACC is the best implementation of the tech I've experienced for one reason. When I change lanes and get behind a car that is traveling faster than I am, even if I am too close to that car, my car does not brake. It might flash a red warning. In other cars - Audi, Toyota, Mazda - I have had the car brake hard when I change lanes close to another car going faster, which invites a collision from the car behind me in tight traffic. I guess this is one concession where BMW lets us drive like BMW owners.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 06:55 AM   #4
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
Agree with points raised by all of you. On left/right bias, I have a strong feeling that it's more to do with perception than reality. Ive got few of my passengers to look and confirm and they've not been able to confirm the bias as some seems to think the car is centred. I've been thinking about fixing a camera to the back of the car to really get a feel for it. That said, it is certainly programmed to give preference to left/right lane depending on country when there are exits, etc.

I don't really know why the car accelerates when there is traffic ahead. Tech is certainly capable of recognising two cars ahead. That's how the collision mitigation system works. So, there's every reason to slow down. I suspect it might be deliberately programmed to close the gap as otherwise there are plenty of people who could change lanes and fill the gap ahead.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 07:42 AM   #5
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchJR View Post
I try to think of the active steering as the safety system BMW intended, not the autonomous mode we wish for. In that regard it lets me relax a bit on highways and some B-roads, but I never assume the car will steer itself through intersections, unclear lane markings, and certainly not roundabouts.

On the fuel efficiency front, it is unfortunate that the car accelerates towards the selected speed to close a gap even if I can see traffic ahead slowing for a red light. I would also change lanes on a highway to maintain speed without the system, while with ACC I tend to slow down with traffic in my lane and then change lanes and waste fuel getting back up to speed. It will be along time before these systems anticipate traffic ahead and in multiple lanes to pilot an efficient course.

The ACC is the best implementation of the tech I've experienced for one reason. When I change lanes and get behind a car that is traveling faster than I am, even if I am too close to that car, my car does not brake. It might flash a red warning. In other cars - Audi, Toyota, Mazda - I have had the car brake hard when I change lanes close to another car going faster, which invites a collision from the car behind me in tight traffic. I guess this is one concession where BMW lets us drive like BMW owners.
I generally agree. I think the lane assistant seems to have a learning function. When I first got my 530e it seemed to make the car careen between the left and right edges. Now (almost six months later) it seems to stay in the lane pretty well. HOWEVER, it is not something I would completely trust. But if I turn it on, but still drive the car, it has two virtues: it keeps me generally where I want to be and it reminds me (by slightly resisting my turn on the steering wheel) to use my turn signals.

While the ACC is not perfect, it is much better than the version I had in my 330e and better than most of the competition. I use it often in local traffic (here in greater Phoenix local traffic means mostly 45 mph four lane roads). But there certainly are limitations that we should be aware of. The roundabout noted above is a good example; the car will likely think the way is clear since the car in front appears to have turned; another would be a four way stop sign (one gets to the second car at the stop sign; when the first car leaves it appears that you are free to go and the ACC wants to move you forward when you need to wait for other cars to proceed). But, IMHO, these are circumstances that we should be able to anticipate.

I think the ACC and HUD are a terrific combo. I would not buy a car without both. But they are not perfect. I wish that BMW put the blind spot detector in the HUD and when driving using the ICE, I wish that the rev counter would be in the HUD as well. But these are minor desires.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 10:01 AM   #6
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I20 IX M60 Oxide Grey

Garage List
I've found the left bias (here in uk) happens a lot more during bright sunshine and daylight. At night or in fog or overcast conditions it actually drives pretty well in lanes.

Agree with OP that sometimes the acceleration is a bit much but I think that's when a) I'm in sport and b) it hasn't detected the car in front. It's happened a few times and I've had to brake he car.

The point is the car is not AI - these are just some convenience features to make the ride a little easier and less stressful. Must remain in charge and vigilant always.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 08:38 AM   #7
nyc_alex
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i

Agreed about the lane-keep steering being a bit amateurish. It feels more like it bounces in between the lines rather than plot a smooth path. Not the most secure feeling in the world. Overall, it is nice for a long trip to take away some driver fatigue at times.

The follow distance should be a tad closer at high speeds around here. Way too many people cutting in front even when I'm at the closest follow distance. I understand why they don't, but boy is it annoying when the person behind you swerves around and cuts in front just for that one spot.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 09:13 AM   #8
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_alex View Post
Agreed about the lane-keep steering being a bit amateurish. It feels more like it bounces in between the lines rather than plot a smooth path. Not the most secure feeling in the world. Overall, it is nice for a long trip to take away some driver fatigue at times.

The follow distance should be a tad closer at high speeds around here. Way too many people cutting in front even when I'm at the closest follow distance. I understand why they don't, but boy is it annoying when the person behind you swerves around and cuts in front just for that one spot.
If you are bouncing between lines then you've got a calibration issue.

Only time my car bounces off lines is if I'm not using driving assistance plus and straying from my lane. Then the car intervene and correct it which usually send you the other way resulting in bouncing between lines.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 09:17 AM   #9
Balster
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530d MSport xDrive

Agree about the lane keeping comments. It is nearly faultless on a motorway though. But it is great to see that BMW are well ahead of other mainstream manufacturers in this are of tech.
I turn it off on roundabouts and B roads(mainly for avoiding those potholes which are like a plague on British roads.)

G30 530d M Sport xdrive, Adaptive Drive and with all of the important options.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 09:53 AM   #10
nyc_alex
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS-UK View Post

Only time my car bounces off lines is if I'm not using driving assistance plus and straying from my lane. Then the car intervene and correct it which usually send you the other way resulting in bouncing between lines.
It is very subtle. Not so much on straightaways, but when turning. It just won't take a turn as smooth as I would. I wasn't aware of any calibration so I'll look into it.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 12:05 PM   #11
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_alex View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS-UK View Post

It is very subtle. Not so much on straightaways, but when turning. It just won't take a turn as smooth as I would. I wasn't aware of any calibration so I'll look into it.
There's a max angle it can take. Not sure what that is. Anything beyond that it gives up. Obviously higher the angle more erratic car could be.

Calibration is in the drivers guide. There's nothing you need to do but it says, happens after vehicle delivery.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0