BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Issues about G30 Crankshaft sensor

08-27-2018, 05:03 AM   #1
jilixg
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 435

Issues about G30 Crankshaft sensor

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hello, Everyone,

I am gonna get my first 5 series very soon, recently, I heard that the Crankshaft sensor for G30 has factory problems, only for those manufactured in May and June 2018. So got bit concerned about this. Already paid 2000.

Anyone heard about this?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 05:37 AM   #2
Beemerguy530
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530D

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilixg View Post
Hello, Everyone,

I am gonna get my first 5 series very soon, recently, I heard that the Crankshaft sensor for G30 has factory problems, only for those manufactured in May and June 2018. So got bit concerned about this. Already paid 2000.

Anyone heard about this?
Mine was affected. Part replaced all running. Most probably a faulty batch of sensors. I believe engines are made elsewhere not in Dingolfing factory anyway.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 06:49 AM   #3
jilixg
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for posting your experience. May I when is your car manufactured?

I am not sure what to do with this order, it is already in store, should I ask for a refund or replacement for another car manufactured after July 2018. The sale agent told me there is no such issues, but I highly doubt it. Do you know can I find out if my car has this problem?

Thanks a lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemerguy530 View Post
Mine was affected. Part replaced all running. Most probably a faulty batch of sensors. I believe engines are made elsewhere not in Dingolfing factory anyway.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 07:52 AM   #4
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:

I am not sure what to do with this order, it is already in store, should I ask for a refund or replacement for another car manufactured after July 2018. The sale agent told me there is no such issues, but I highly doubt it. Do you know can I find out if my car has this problem?

Thanks a lot
Surely the worst that can happen is requiring a new sensor. I'd check out the official status, talk with BMW, see if your car is on the list of engines with a possible sensor issue. If so, get BMW to fit a replacement sensor ahead of delivery, for peace of mind.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 09:11 AM   #5
jilixg
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for your help. Surely it helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Surely the worst that can happen is requiring a new sensor. I'd check out the official status, talk with BMW, see if your car is on the list of engines with a possible sensor issue. If so, get BMW to fit a replacement sensor ahead of delivery, for peace of mind.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 04:46 PM   #6
Beemerguy530
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Thanks a lot

Quote:
Built on 29th May. I would do what HighlandPete says. Get the sensor changed before delivery. Dealer should have record of vehicles affected as its a quality issue/recall.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 01:39 PM   #7
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks a lot

Quote:
Built on 29th May. I would do what HighlandPete says. Get the sensor changed before delivery. Dealer should have record of vehicles affected as its a quality issue/recall.
This also affected early 2017 production G30s so I am kind of surprised this crankshaft error issue has resurfaced again.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 07:50 PM   #8
jilixg
Private First Class
Rep

Hello, thanks for your post. Did you get the car yet? Kind of curious if every car built in may june has such problem or just portion of them have such problem.

Thanks

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 07:55 PM   #9
jilixg
Private First Class
Rep

Yep, I was surprised as well, this should not be a very big issue. May I ask Is there anyway to get the test report?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
This also affected early 2017 production G30s so I am kind of surprised this crankshaft error issue has resurfaced again.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 11:21 PM   #10
mk1-fan
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2018 G30 540i

Garage List
Interesting.

Mine is a June build, and I wasn't aware of this. Car was build at Dingolfing.

Haven't had any issues so far, but will contact my dealer nonetheless.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 02:17 PM   #11
Beemerguy530
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hello, thanks for your post. Did you get the car yet? Kind of curious if every car built in may june has such problem or just portion of them have such problem.

Thanks

Quote:

I got my car just 3 weeks from build straight from Dingolfing. As posted in another thread I experienced a slight hesitation about 2 times in the first 4 weeks while on the motorway. Saw in this forum that it could be the sensor so went to my dealer. Confirmed issue got the sensor part ordered the day before and replaced day after. Quick turnaround when you got this forum as backup and confirming the system of the fault.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 02:18 PM   #12
Beemerguy530
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yep, I was surprised as well, this should not be a very big issue. May I ask Is there anyway to get the test report?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
I'm surprised too but probably just a dodgy batch of sensors?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 02:22 PM   #13
Beemerguy530
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk1-fan View Post
Interesting.

I didn't have much issues apart from 2 hesitations while on the motorway. A slight stutter while on cruise control and engine vibrations afterwards and not smooth around idle. Engine on and off sorted the issue at the time.
Not as worse as some as heard engine cut outs. So symptoms vary I guess.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 10:59 PM   #14
jilixg
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for your comments.

It s quite annoying to be involved into this issue. Eventually, I decided to take the car, cause the dealer insists that mine is fine, and they do not agree to refund my deposit. Gonna take it in a day or two, hopefully it will be fine.

Quote:
Interesting.

Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 11:03 PM   #15
jilixg
Private First Class
Rep

Got it.

Yeah, discussion in this forum has always been helpful for me. Thanks for participating in my topic. I am going to take the car in a day or two, and let s what will happen.

Quote:
I got my car just 3 weeks from build straight from Dingolfing. As posted in another thread I experienced a slight hesitation about 2 times in the first 4 weeks while on the motorway. Saw in this forum that it could be the sensor so went to my dealer. Confirmed issue got the sensor part ordered the day before and replaced day after. Quick turnaround when you got this forum as backup and confirming the system of the fault.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 11:04 PM   #16
jilixg
Private First Class
Rep

Probably, I have confirmed such issue is worldwide.

Quote:
I'm surprised too but probably just a dodgy batch of sensors?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 10:25 AM   #17
mk1-fan
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
According to my dealer no such issue exists, as there have been no campaigns regarding this. They have said that should it become an issue, all relevant cars will be called in for a replacement sensor.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 11:00 PM   #18
Beemerguy530
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
According to my dealer no such issue exists, as there have been no campaigns regarding this. They have said that should it become an issue, all relevant cars will be called in for a replacement sensor.
Maybe it's not a full recall as depends if any issue is experienced or your car was one of the lucky ones not to be affected during that build period?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 11:41 PM   #19
mk1-fan
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Maybe it's not a full recall as depends if any issue is experienced or your car was one of the lucky ones not to be affected during that build period?
Might be.

Car manufacturers here in South Africa are normally hesitant to roll out a campaign for faulty parts. Having said that, BMW tend to be pro active, so let's wait and see.
Appreciate 0