BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions So its finally raining in SoCal and now I have a leak?!

01-14-2019, 04:34 PM   #1
wuzupfoo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3; G30 540i

So its finally raining in SoCal and now I have a leak?!

Just curious if anyone else had this issue. Its finally legitimately raining in CA meaning an all day affair and I parked my outside during lunch with the sunroof tilted open. (Im thinking this is where it is coming from?)

What do I find when I get back to the car. Everything normal except water dripping on the door trim near the towards the bottom. Pretty dramatic considering it was dry before and it was only outside for what 1 hour max and its still CA rain (ie. drizzle) so no downpours.

Has anyone else experienced this??

I just picked it up on Sunday and now I have a surprise... typical

For reference I have a 540i but would imagine something like this would be either universal or special to me and my car.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 05:37 PM   #2
wuzupfoo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Leaking G30 by Jung Suh, on Flickr

Leaking G30 by Jung Suh, on Flickr
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 06:08 PM   #3
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

Southern California here as well.. Have driven in lots of rain, it's never leaked. I've never parked with my sunroof open in any sense during the rain. Unless the drainage tubes are blocked, I assume your issue is from having the roof open while it's raining and the vehicle isn't moving.
      01-14-2019, 08:06 PM   #4
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

I don't have issue. Been parking the car outside the whole day.
Interior is dry.

Seems like the rain water is running on top of the headliners instead of the draintube since you have the sunroof tilt open.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 03:47 PM   #5
wuzupfoo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

yea lesson for me and everyone else as well i guess, dont leave the moonroof even tilted. Tho it is strange as this is something I have done in other cars without issue.

Its not raining as hard so cant really test it but pretty sure this was the case. Im gonna have my wash guys watch out for it when I ask them to wash it after this storm.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 04:03 PM   #6
Symo
Where is the Earth Shattering Ka Boom?
Australia
Rep
Drives: E30 540i Mediterranean Blue

I haven't collected my car yet. But pretty sure I read in the manual that the car detected rain Using the wiper rain sensor I presume) and automatically shut the roof. At least that's on the Australian versions.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 05:34 PM   #7
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symo View Post
I haven't collected my car yet. But pretty sure I read in the manual that the car detected rain Using the wiper rain sensor I presume) and automatically shut the roof. At least that's on the Australian versions.
I think that can be coded, but at least in earlier iterations it required that the wiper control be set to auto when leaving the vehicle. Now that auto isn't a button, maybe it functions all the time or you can leave the stalk in the auto position all the time. I'll test [but my car isn't coded, just curious if it actually does something!].
      01-15-2019, 06:07 PM   #8
Dobie Dog
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 F97 X3M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmahh View Post
maybe it functions all the time or you can leave the stalk in the auto position all the time. I'll test [but my car isn't coded, just curious if it actually does something!].
I am interested in hearing the result of your test. I was "told" by my dealer that the sunroof would close if the auto position was selected on the stalk.
      01-15-2019, 09:55 PM   #9
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobie Dog View Post
I am interested in hearing the result of your test. I was "told" by my dealer that the sunroof would close if the auto position was selected on the stalk.
Sad face. I tried, since it’s raining:

Parked car with auto on; windows and sunroof fully open. Locked car, poured water on the sensor. Nada.

Then tried unlocking, turning auto off/on, it stays lit, lock the car it turns off, nada.

Then closed the windows, changed sunroof from open to tilted, wipers to auto again, lock car, nada.

Unless there is some time that has to pass first, it seems disabled. We also can’t roll up via fob, because some idiot is going to stick their hand in it while it’s closing and sue.

If it’s avail elsewhere we should be able to code it.
Appreciate 1
Dobie Dog738.50
      01-16-2019, 10:56 AM   #10
Symo
Australia
Rep

Here is a screenshot of my manual showing that the car does auto close the roof in the event of rain ( or after 6 hours).

I can't personally confirm this as my car is still sitting on the wharf in Brimerhaven Germany. But I have read the downloaded manual for my VIN multiple times.

Interestingly it puts the roof in the raised position ( and not closes it as I first thought) and it does not state anywhere that you need have the control stick in any position. You just need activate it in "settings"

When the car arrives I will test. But suspect pouring water on the rain sensor would not work, it needs rain, not being driven under a waterfall. So splash the sensor with droplets.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 11:54 AM   #11
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

On hot and sunny days I crack open the glass roof to let heat escape and I put up a screen on the windshield (I have the leather dash and want to protect it). But because I have the windshield screen up, the automatic closing function won't work.

Not a problem for me because I only do it when the weather is good. Also, even if it suddenly and unexpectedly changes, I can use my phone app to close the roof.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 03:12 PM   #12
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep

I did drizzle the water a bit so it splashed around, but alas I don't think I've ever seen an iDrive setting for it, nor can I find results for closing in the rain in the online manual.
      01-16-2019, 06:03 PM   #13
Symo
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmahh View Post
I did drizzle the water a bit so it splashed around, but alas I don't think I've ever seen an iDrive setting for it, nor can I find results for closing in the rain in the online manual.
I can't say I have seen it either because as I have said. My car is still Germany waiting for a boat but when it gets here ( eventually) I will try it.

Have added the page from settings. I'm sure if it's in the Aussie version of the car, provided the hardware is there to support it ( rain sensing wipers and what ever else is needed) it could be coded on for your cars.

Here is the "Settings" page of the manual.

Attached Images

Appreciate 1