BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Possible move from M2C to M550...

04-15-2019, 11:25 PM   #1
Seattle135is
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2005 SL 55 AMg  [0.00]
2007 Porsche 997 Turbo  [0.00]
Possible move from M2C to M550...

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hi all - I currently drive a '19 M2C (BM3 Stg 2) and a '14 Audi S5 (APR II) - anyway, due to garaging circumstances changing, an option is to right size to one car. I have the Audi for the winters in Seattle, so the new car must be AWD. So, I'm looking at 2 options : M550 or '20 M340 - or possibly wait for the new M3.
I really like the M550 - had a drive in a buddy's in Chicago last year - it had the BM3 Stg 1 tune and that thing was pretty swift for a bigger vehicle.
Also, I heard that there will be a boost in power in the LCI M550.
Thoughts?
These darn first world problems are confusing
BTW - the M2C is a rocket and in my opinion, it's the way the M2 should have have been - I have a buyer already that has me down to a minimal loss.
TiA
2013 135is - LeMans Blue/Gray
2003 M5 (56k miles) - CB/Black
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 09:15 AM   #2
Bymep
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i; sold 2003 330Ci

Garage List
2019 BMW M550i  [0.00]
M550 faster and more lux than M340. Sounds like your real decision is between M550 and the new M3. Only issue with M3 is you have to wait a year or so. I think M3 would be a closer experience to your M2c, since M2c and M550 are pretty different beasts. Coming out of a smaller car (e46 coupe), I love the M550 since it is plenty fast and can be tuned even faster, and actually handles pretty well for a big car. for a DD, it is hard to beat. That being said, I'm trying to figure out how I can ALSO get a M2C for the RWD 6MT experience on the weekends, but like you have garaging issues.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 10:15 AM   #3
wknddrivr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3/E39 M5

Put winter tires on your m2. It has limited slip diff. With winter tires it’ll perform better than an x-drive M340 or M550 with all season tires.

I ski and lived in Seattle, my x-drive 328 with winter tires wasn’t that much better than any of the RWD cars with limited slip and winter tires I’ve driven (mostly m3). Since the e90 328 x-drive, I’ve bought 2 RWD BMWs and I have absolutely no desire to get x-drive again. They perform great in the mountains and snow with winter tires.

RWD with winter tires is more than sufficient to go skiing. Ground clearance is the biggest issue with these cars and x-drive does nothing to address that

Btw, how do you like the E39 compared to the M2C. Those two are at the top of my list for my next fun car. Know they are very different but they’re fun in different ways. The e39 is obviously massive compared to the m2 but I think the analog nature of it and balance between sport and luxury aappeals to me more than the m2c
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 01:14 PM   #4
Seattle135is
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2005 SL 55 AMg  [0.00]
Btw, how do you like the E39 compared to the M2C. Those two are at the top of my list for my next fun car. Know they are very different but they’re fun in different ways. The e39 is obviously massive compared to the m2 but I think the analog nature of it and balance between sport and luxury aappeals to me more than the m2c[/QUOTE]

As the GSM at BMW Seattle told me that I have 2 of his most coveted models. So, the M5 is definitely more visceral than the M2 - the V8, 6-speed and LSD just work harmoniously together - I have the SuperSprint headers and full exhaust - sounds amazing - I downshift, blip just for the heck of it. I use it just in really good summer days.
I had the OG M2 and just got the M2C about 5 months ago - the OG lacked power, even with a tune - the M2 in general is definitely more visceral than a previous M4. BMW definitely went back to their roots on this car - it's light (relatively), not sure what BMW did, but it definitely puts the power down with decent traction - just incredibly nimble. With the BMS (Stg2 with DP's), this thing is close to 500hp and about 560 tq - I have a stupid grin across the power band
About your suggestion on snow tires - we don't have too much snow in Seattle - I need AWD for the rain. I can't say enough accolades about the Quattro, and a APR tuned S5 is no slouch.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 03:17 PM   #5
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

I can't imagine giving up an M2C for an M550. I think the M2C is going to be one of those rare special BMWs like the 1M. I love the M550 for what it is, but I couldn't/wouldn't give up my 6MT M3 for one.

But, life changes, priorities change etc. Good luck with the decision.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 06:32 PM   #6
wknddrivr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle335 View Post
Btw, how do you like the E39 compared to the M2C. Those two are at the top of my list for my next fun car. Know they are very different but they’re fun in different ways. The e39 is obviously massive compared to the m2 but I think the analog nature of it and balance between sport and luxury aappeals to me more than the m2c
As the GSM at BMW Seattle told me that I have 2 of his most coveted models. So, the M5 is definitely more visceral than the M2 - the V8, 6-speed and LSD just work harmoniously together - I have the SuperSprint headers and full exhaust - sounds amazing - I downshift, blip just for the heck of it. I use it just in really good summer days.
I had the OG M2 and just got the M2C about 5 months ago - the OG lacked power, even with a tune - the M2 in general is definitely more visceral than a previous M4. BMW definitely went back to their roots on this car - it's light (relatively), not sure what BMW did, but it definitely puts the power down with decent traction - just incredibly nimble. With the BMS (Stg2 with DP's), this thing is close to 500hp and about 560 tq - I have a stupid grin across the power band
About your suggestion on snow tires - we don't have too much snow in Seattle - I need AWD for the rain. I can't say enough accolades about the Quattro, and a APR tuned S5 is no slouch.
Wow great insights, really appreciate your feedback. I know what you mean about the M4, I've driven my friend's a few times and it just never clicked with me so I know what you mean compared to the M2.

As for needing AWD for rain, still dont really understand that. Pilot Super Sports were always fine for me in the rain unless the temps drop. Summer tires turn hard as hockey pucks around 40degrees and less and loose significant traction especially in the rain. Even if you don't drive in snow, winter tires will significantly improve traction at temps in the 40s and lower compared to summer tires or even all seasons. Is your traction issue happening in the summer too, or just when it's cold out?

I can't speak for the M550, as I've got a 530i M-Sport, but will say if you want a comfortable daily driver, the 5 series is great. I love the multi-contour seats and the ride with 704 M-Sport suspension hits the perfect balance between sport and luxury for me. The H/K sound system is a great value, but I think I'd spring for the B&W if I were doing it again.

The one thing I don't like about the 5 series is its size, but thats because I generally prefer smaller cars. I haven't driven the new 3 series yet, but I after sitting in it, I think it will be the right size whereas the 5 is pretty damn large if you don't carry passengers. I haven't driven the 3 yet, but I imagine it will feel more agile and less ponderous than the 5

What struck me when I sat in the M340 though was how cheap the interior felt compared to the 5 series. It's definitely a grade or two below, especially the area above the glove box...just a huge looking swath of soft touch material. The 5 has some more wood trim and the proportions above the glove box seem better, and the quality of the materials on the buttons and such is higher. The M340 is available with Merino interior, which may take care of my concerns, but I haven't seen one yet with the Merino option. All I can say is that the 5 with Nappa or Merino and a leather dashboard blows away the 3 vernasca interior.

Last edited by wknddrivr; 04-16-2019 at 06:58 PM..
Appreciate 1
snowbimmer5002.50
      04-16-2019, 08:09 PM   #7
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

The M550 is nice, but compared to the M2C you will absolutely feel and notice the larger weight and size of the vehicle. The 5 is almost 20in larger than the 2, and about 800lbs more. Of course because of this, while being super fast, the car won't be as nimble or agile in corners, as your M2C and likely body roll may be a tad bit more noticeable. Seeing how much every reviewer/owner loves their M2C moving to the M550 might feel weird and regretful as its a big change/difference in feel.

I would honestly suggest a happy medium and test drive an M340 or wait for the M3 which will have rumored AWD. It won't be as fun as an M2C, but likely won't be the large difference that the M550 is, but the size won't be too larger, and the weight gain won't be as noticeable, while still being more agile. Also coming from a M2, the interior of the new 3 will feel like a welcome change without being too different hopefully. The M550 is a very good car, but I don't know if its the right car to go to after coming from the best modern bimmer you can buy, the M2C.

Another option would be the RS3 or RS5 Sportback/Coupe. Seeing how you already have an Audi (I assume you like it) why not test drive Audi's latest offerings. They both have AWD, the RS3 will be small and nimble as its close in size and weight to the 2, while having the great 5 cylinder, and the RS5 has both a coupe like yours, as well as a practical hatchback that looks pretty good, and from what I've heard handles pretty well.

Last option - winter tires. Who said you need AWD to survive in the snow? Winter tires can likely solve your problems and worries while still giving you the joy of the M2C and its handling.

I'm sure any car you choose you'll love, but just my $0.02 on the subject.
      04-16-2019, 11:54 PM   #8
Seattle135is
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2005 SL 55 AMg  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
The M550 is nice, but compared to the M2C you will absolutely feel and notice the larger weight and size of the vehicle. The 5 is almost 20in larger than the 2, and about 800lbs more. Of course because of this, while being super fast, the car won't be as nimble or agile in corners, as your M2C and likely body roll may be a tad bit more noticeable. Seeing how much every reviewer/owner loves their M2C moving to the M550 might feel weird and regretful as its a big change/difference in feel.

I would honestly suggest a happy medium and test drive an M340 or wait for the M3 which will have rumored AWD. It won't be as fun as an M2C, but likely won't be the large difference that the M550 is, but the size won't be too larger, and the weight gain won't be as noticeable, while still being more agile. Also coming from a M2, the interior of the new 3 will feel like a welcome change without being too different hopefully. The M550 is a very good car, but I don't know if its the right car to go to after coming from the best modern bimmer you can buy, the M2C.

Another option would be the RS3 or RS5 Sportback/Coupe. Seeing how you already have an Audi (I assume you like it) why not test drive Audi's latest offerings. They both have AWD, the RS3 will be small and nimble as its close in size and weight to the 2, while having the great 5 cylinder, and the RS5 has both a coupe like yours, as well as a practical hatchback that looks pretty good, and from what I've heard handles pretty well.

Last option - winter tires. Who said you need AWD to survive in the snow? Winter tires can likely solve your problems and worries while still giving you the joy of the M2C and its handling.

I'm sure any car you choose you'll love, but just my $0.02 on the subject.
Wow - you really got me re-thinking I thought my OG M2 was something special until I got the M2C - the OG guys will critique the sound of the M2C, and I will admit the N55 sounded better but that's where it ends! Besides the power bump, everything else feels superior, a real //M.
I love my S5 - it's the longest I've ever kept a car - going on 5 years, but it only has 42k miles and feels super solid. I think I got spoiled by the Quattro and the 'off the line' traction, especially in rain - I test drove an RS5 coupe a few months ago (the local dealer had a '19 used) - it just lacked the fun factor - it felt pretty fast but the exhaust note sounded anemic - just wasn't worth the $90k to me...
We are re-thinking the house situation as well - long story, but we were thinking of down sizing but it just means restructuring everything and I'm not looking forward to a move either.
I got to say it's so refreshing to post on this board - all responses were well thought out, informative and mature - no personal bashing/insults etc.
Appreciate 4
minn1913970.00
stein_325i25051.00
clee1982796.00
      04-17-2019, 10:00 PM   #9
wknddrivr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle335 View Post
Wow - you really got me re-thinking I thought my OG M2 was something special until I got the M2C - the OG guys will critique the sound of the M2C, and I will admit the N55 sounded better but that's where it ends! Besides the power bump, everything else feels superior, a real //M.
I love my S5 - it's the longest I've ever kept a car - going on 5 years, but it only has 42k miles and feels super solid. I think I got spoiled by the Quattro and the 'off the line' traction, especially in rain - I test drove an RS5 coupe a few months ago (the local dealer had a '19 used) - it just lacked the fun factor - it felt pretty fast but the exhaust note sounded anemic - just wasn't worth the $90k to me...
We are re-thinking the house situation as well - long story, but we were thinking of down sizing but it just means restructuring everything and I'm not looking forward to a move either.
I got to say it's so refreshing to post on this board - all responses were well thought out, informative and mature - no personal bashing/insults etc.
Exactly, no reason to bash others decisions. What’s right for me may not be right for you. I see a lot more respect on the 5 forum than the 3 forum and appreciate everyone’s insight on here

Lastly, I’ll echo my previous post and strongly suggest winter tires. Its about low temps and tire compounds, not necessarily snow.

It’s a lot cheaper than a new car and the M2c is the most enjoyable vehicle BMW has put out in the last 10 years or so. The M550 will be a letdown compared to that and your problem isn’t a rwd problem it’s just a tire issue.
Appreciate 1
minn1913970.00
      04-18-2019, 04:15 PM   #10
Mach550
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Garage List
2019 BMW M550i  [8.00]
Going from a go-kart GTI to my M550 really made me realize what heavy cars feel like. I have plenty of fun in it when I feel like it (need to better control myself/right foot) If I ever choose to get out of it I will definitely miss the ability to relax and just glide along during my commute.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 07:48 PM   #11
Machinebuilder
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 640 IX GT

I think if you can have only one car the BMW M550 is the way to go. It is a fast ride that soaks up miles without beating you up. Sports cars are fun but they are not as versatile nor comfortable to use daily.
Appreciate 1
hlothery481.50
      04-30-2019, 07:46 AM   #12
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

I have had my M550i since September, traded my F83 for it at that time. Loved the M4, but it was just too raw for me on a daily basis, and not suitable for trips due to it's size. I also missed, quite frankly, some of the luxury I had had in my previous E350, but wanted to retain most of the performance I had in the M4. I also have garage issues, so one car is all I get. The M550i performs that function perfectly. It is larger, which is good for luxury and touring. But it can be a beast, albeit a large one, in the twisties and from a standing start. However, on trips and around town in comfort mode, the big V8 is surprisingly economical. I recently got (on the car's calculator) 31 mpg on a trip from Texas to NC and back, except for the Sport Plus runs up the NC mountain roads where I grew up. Just my vote for the M550i, YMMV.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      05-09-2019, 09:50 AM   #13
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

I actually have both, M550i and M2 Competition. The M2C is brand new so I don't have the full picture on it yet.

However, the two are quite different. The M550i is remarkably quick and easy to drive hard off the line given the AWD. in a race to 60, both cars would be very close. Not sure yet which is better top end.

You will notice the M550i in comfort mode feels much softer and almost floaty after driving the M2C despite my cars runflats. The M550i adaptive or sport modes are closer to the M2C but no where near as firm. The M550i handles well but is just not a track car, hence why I got the M2C for sporty drives and occasional track days.

The M550i is also loaded with tech the M2C just doesn't have. It is a better all around car but also nearly 50% more in price when fully loaded.
Appreciate 0