BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Mechanical Maintenance - Break-in, Oil, Fluids, Servicing Low coolant

04-21-2022, 09:14 PM   #45
Rodders2018
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M550

I too had a coolant low…2018 M550 topped with coolant, as was leary of driving if leak was failure or slower type leak. At 51k my BMW OEM warranty is still active… could picture have something to do with leak? I heard N63 older than 2018 had a week design of coolant hoses between Turbos? Am I afflicted?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
admranger2981.50
      04-22-2022, 12:24 AM   #46
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

I would suggest that if still under warranty , you simply get your dealership to investigate

Many of these forums have had leaks ( myself included) and it appears many have been brush off by dealerships saying it's normal (it's obviously isn't) so to save your self a load of money potentially after the warranty runs out , get it looked at even if it's only a small leak
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2022, 08:52 AM   #47
HerkHealer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G30/M550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodders2018 View Post
I too had a coolant low…2018 M550 topped with coolant, as was leary of driving if leak was failure or slower type leak. At 51k my BMW OEM warranty is still active… could picture have something to do with leak? I heard N63 older than 2018 had a week design of coolant hoses between Turbos? Am I afflicted?
Yes, that's the problem. Take it in to the dealership. They will replace those rubber turbo lines with metal ones. Very common issue and BMW is well aware of it.
      04-22-2022, 09:29 PM   #48
Rodders2018
Private
Rep

Thanks guys… appreciate the advice. Dealer appt is set. Need the brake fluid flush anyway.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 07:20 PM   #49
Rodders2018
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerkHealer View Post
Yes, that's the problem. Take it in to the dealership. They will replace those rubber turbo lines with metal ones. Very common issue and BMW is well aware of it.
Can you direct me to TDS that itemizes the metal coolant lines.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 09:38 AM   #50
OneSon
Rep
Drives: BMW 520 Xdrive

Had the same issue just after my AD Blue needed topping up. The coolant light came on and when I checked I was just under the maximum. I added more coolant so that the it was at the maximum recommended level and hasn't had any issues since. That was around 2500 miles ago.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 11:22 AM   #51
HerkHealer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G30/M550

Quote:
Can you direct me to TDS that itemizes the metal coolant lines.

Thanks
I dont have the BMW bulletin on it, but several M550 owners prior to 2020 have had their rubber lines replaced. Just show your SA where the leak is, he/she will know what to do.
      05-06-2022, 08:36 PM   #52
Rodders2018
Private
Rep

I got master technician by request and he found the issue and went above and beyond on my last service CPO visit.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-09-2022, 10:47 AM   #53
pobrienny
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3, BMW 530e

This happened to me. The cause was a leak from the coolant supply lines to the turbo charger. Small leak, but enough to drain the system over time. Covered by warranty at the time—around $2k out of pocket if you're out of warranty.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2023, 08:15 AM   #54
bimz
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 5 Series G30

had the same issue..topped up with coolant twice in 1 year of owning...next thing you know the car breaks down in a cloud of smoke and all the components connecting to the EGR cooler have melted and was lucky to not catch fire.
Appreciate 1
cclcal46.00
      05-14-2023, 12:06 AM   #55
cclcal
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i, H Palisade, Tesla 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimz View Post
had the same issue..topped up with coolant twice in 1 year of owning...next thing you know the car breaks down in a cloud of smoke and all the components connecting to the EGR cooler have melted and was lucky to not catch fire.
that's terrible.
what's the cost for that repair?

here's my new steel braided lines and item numbers.
It was a fight w dealer and extended warranty to get them to cover it since my new car warranty is expired.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2023, 04:13 PM   #56
xander_g
Major
Rep
Drives: G30 M550i

Garage List
A common issue apparently. Multiple coolant warnings in the winter with the reservoir being empty each time. Most recent coolant warning was yesterday with car needing another top up.

Had the car on a hoist and found traces of a coolant leak at the bottom and when I popped off the plastic engine cover lots of coolant traces in the valley.

Apparently the original turbo coolant lines leak and there is a tsb for upgraded lines. However, I've heard of the new lines leaking as well. Car's going to the dealer tomorrow. We'll see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2023, 11:50 AM   #57
cclcal
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i, H Palisade, Tesla 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander_g View Post
A common issue apparently. Multiple coolant warnings in the winter with the reservoir being empty each time. Most recent coolant warning was yesterday with car needing another top up.

Had the car on a hoist and found traces of a coolant leak at the bottom and when I popped off the plastic engine cover lots of coolant traces in the valley.

Apparently the original turbo coolant lines leak and there is a tsb for upgraded lines. However, I've heard of the new lines leaking as well. Car's going to the dealer tomorrow. We'll see what happens.
Good luck!
Appreciate 1
xander_g967.00
      06-27-2023, 12:45 PM   #58
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Just want to make owners aware that basically ALL new vehicles have air in the cooling system when delivered; it's perfectly normal. So it's really important you watch your coolant reservoir(s) at the beginning, and top them off until system is stabilized, which takes dozens of cold-hot-cold cycles. The worst vehicle was my ex-Porsche, since the engine is at the rear, so lots more air in the system than a front-engine vehicle. Anyway, in most of my vehicles, when I check the coolant reservoir after a week or so from delivery, the level is at or near the 'min' line. Once I top it off, it never goes that low again, but still have to top it off like maybe twice more. Oh, and I always buy a bottle of coolant at the dealer when I buy a new vehicle, but watch out if it's not 50/50, meaning you have to dilute it 50/50 with distilled water. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2023, 07:15 PM   #59
Jlha24
Rep
Drives: M550i

Quote:
Does anyone know the diameter of these 3 small hoses? Are they all the same size and the same as the other feed lines?
I'm thinking of DIYing only the hoses but they seem to be discontinued everywhere and replaced with the metal ones. But that would require more work that I'm not prepared for. So I was thinking of getting the feed line which is still the same and available and cutting it to size.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2023, 08:04 PM   #60
Jlha24
Rep
Drives: M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander_g View Post

Is your car under warranty? What did the dealer eventually do?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2023, 10:34 AM   #61
xander_g
Major
Rep
Drives: G30 M550i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlha24 View Post
Is your car under warranty? What did the dealer eventually do?
Car is under warranty. Lines replaced with updated parts. They had the car for about a week.
Appreciate 0