BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions List of pros/cons from a new BMW owner (less than a year)

04-11-2019, 02:16 PM   #1
Mr550i
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i 2019

List of pros/cons from a new BMW owner (less than a year)

Hi everyone,

I just registered to make this post, but I've been lurking around Bimmerpost ever since I've made the decision to purchase my first BMW: a fully loaded 2019 m550i.

Just want to make a list of pros and cons and get you guys feedbacks and maybe help some other users along the way...

PROS
+ So far, I love the car and it is a substantial upgrade.
+ Premium feel and material
+ Smooth and powerful V8
+ Sheer number of tech
+ Cool tech: HUD, Night Vision, Display Key, Wireless Charging
+ Generally aesthetically pleasing iDrive UI design
+ Great sounds (Bowers and Wilkins)
+ Subtle enough look but still catch some attention
+ Awesome 360 camera
+ Bright interior and exterior lighting
+ Sexy ambient lighting
+ Heated and air cooled seats, heated steering wheels
+ Seat control is excellent, grips side of body perfectly
+ Great parking assistance (not too useful though, more on that later)
+ Remote parking (more on that later)
+ I'm sure I forgot a bunch of other cool stuff.

CONS
- I'm not really bashing the car but I want to list them out anyway in hopes that may be there is already a solution to some of these items.
- Strange user experience
- Sometimes when I shut off the car, open the car door, the audio will still be playing until I get out and lock the door.
- Unpredictable bluetooth audio via iOS: sometimes (50%) when the audio connects and plays, it forgets the previous session and plays the first alphabetical-sorted song in my entire Apple Music library. In my case, it was A-YO from Lady Gaga. So when I start the car, I hear "HERE WE GO..." 50% of the time. Hilarious when I forget, annoying when I fully expect my previous session to restore.
- Unpredictable user alerts: I've owned vehicles in the past with predictive front collision alert that would also make an audible ping every time. My m550i only does this when it is at critical level, at normal danger, it only shows an icon in the HUD (you need to identify the graphics which I think makes it more dangerous). My last car would play different audio pings at different danger levels (which makes way more sense / more helpful).
- The audio player don't show the album name nor artist on side snapped mode (mini player). It only displays these info on the thumbnail before the thumbnail loads. There is so much space on the screen for this information. Worse, the dashboard mini player has that info.
- Annoying user alerts, ambient air at low level (<20%) shows an alert every time.
- No seat belt ping sounds forever (this isn't really a valid complaint, just my opinion)
- Winter tire air pressure monitor, weird calibration, occasionally warns. You can always manually override the recommended settings, so what's the point? I've had cars previously that would not do this.
- Underwhelming massage seats
- I was hoping in the very least to resemble those cheap roller ball massage, but the effect is lesser than that
- Barely noticeable ambient air, also quick to run out (50$ apiece in Canada)
- Kinect like gesture recognition is extremely inaccurate, if I have my phone in my hands, it will trigger the two-finger gesture.
- Maybe it's just me and my run-flat tires, but the stock tires are extremely slippery in winter. I was hoping the car would react better though. All of my older cars handle slippage quite well.
- Useless remote key + parking
- I was hoping the key would add/unlock obvious useful features such as remote start or remote heating (allows for remote air cooling)
- Remote start is possible because it is required to get the remote parking to start working. So why can't I just remote start the car? Other than it being a security measure (to prevent theft), I have no idea why the function is there but I can't use it. I'm sure it's just some software flag that prevents this.
- Remote parking is very cool, but only useful to get the car out of literal tight situations; the sensors are way too sensitive so you can't park in tight spots.
- Parking assistance works, but it isn't human like yet, so the maneuver confuses other drivers in a parking lot for example.
- Sometimes, I want to ensure my car is locked, so I would naturally press the lock button again on my remote, no beep feedback from the car.

Sorry for the long post, I'll update the thread if I can think of more things to add.

Last edited by Mr550i; 04-11-2019 at 02:25 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2019, 10:20 AM   #2
CLABRO
THUNDER UP!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Sport G30

Garage List
Thanks for the post. That does help people like me who are in the market for a G30.

In regards to your unpredictable bluetooth audio via iOS- I don't think it's the cars fault. It's an iPhone, iOS software issue, and last I read Apple is aware of the problem. It doesn't just happen to you, I have that issue in my car as well and know others with the same issue. It happens when you connect your iPhone and/or Apple CarPlay. Hopefully there will be a fix for it soon.

Your first con about the audio still being played until you shut your door and lock it, that should be something that you can change in your settings (someone can correct me if I'm wrong). If you can't change it in your regular iDrive settings then surely you'd be able to change that via a simple code command.

Gesture control is cool, but is not as efficient as it needs to be to take on everyday driver tasks, IMO (for now). It's just BMW trying to be fancy and show off when the technology behind it (and the application itself) is relatively new and lacks any real world data that prevents it from really being able to mesh well with the driver and have continuity with other mobile applications. It's just not there yet in terms of flowing well with the user experience and not meant to work efficiently well with your everyday driver.

This is the way I think of gesture control. It's like the first generation Apple Watch. Yeah, it's really cool and it does things that people wouldn't have thought a watch could do at that time, but it just wasn't practical to send an email with your Apple Watch when you have your iPhone 8" away from you. You could do it, but it was cumbersome, delicate, and not efficient for everyday tasks that you might need to do multiple times per day. Apple learned those things and then implemented better software for a faster, more intuitive layout. It made the Apple Watch screen larger so you're not having to try so hard to not hit the wrong button, and improved the functionality and ease of use 10 fold. That's the way I look at gesture control. I'd rather turn the volume up from my steering wheel where my hands already are instead of moving my finger around in a precise circle waiting for the sensor to hopefully understanding my motion. Gesture control could (or could not be) one of the biggest car innovations in the last 30 years, but it's not ready to take the place of physical buttons whether that's on the steering wheel or dash. Therefore, IMO, it's still a ways out before It becomes a part of your daily commute. Yes, you'll have people who are your outliers who say they use it every time they get in the car, but coming from a tech savvy millennial who rarely uses it, that is not the majority.

The no seat belt ping sounding forever can be coded to be turned off so you don't have to hear it via BimmerCode. **Note** you will have to buy the UniCarScan or OBDLink adapter to code this in, but it's a must have, IMO.

Seat belt reminder driver seat
Activate/deactivate the acoustic and visual seat belt reminder for the driver seat.

Values:
Active
Not active
Available in “Advanced Crash Safety Module” ACSM_5

**A “UniCarScan” or “OBDLink” adapter is required for coding this control unit.**

Your last con about the no beed feedback when your car is locked and you press the lock button again- I know for a fact you can code that in via BimmerCode :

Acoustical lock/unlock confirmation
Enable/disable the acoustical confirmation when the car is locked/unlocked.

Values:
Active
Not active
Available in “Roof Function Center/Alarm System” FZD__35

G30 l Alpine White l M Sport Package l Executive Tier l Icon Adaptive Full LED Headlights l Mocha Nappa Leather l Multi-Contour Seats l Drivers Assistance Package l Drivers Assistance Plus Package l Dynamic Handling Package l Parking Assistance Package l Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System l M Sport Brakes l Apple Carplay

Last edited by CLABRO; 04-12-2019 at 10:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 05:23 PM   #3
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
I think it's worthwhile getting your remote parking checked out. I'm able to park in really tight spots and the sensors allow the car to get really close to other objects. So it might be a calibration issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 10:31 AM   #4
Mr550i
Rep

[UPDATE] Some more cons:
- Automatic start/stop is way too quick / sensitive, there should be at least a second delay when 0 kph is reached. Currently, as soon as it hits 0 kph, the car shuts off. It's not a matter of efficiency, it's the comfort + drive. Wish the delay was something that can be set. Yes, I know we can turn it off. My last Audi did have a second or two delay before shut off occurs. Feels like a software design issue.
- Stop and go traffic at extreme slow speed (less than 5 kph) should close its distance with the front car a little more. It currently leaves almost a car's length (maybe regulations).
- Stop and go traffic shouldn't be disabled that quickly if the car doesn't move. It currently deactivates in about 15-30 seconds only! Forcing me to press the gas pedal to re-activate it almost every time in heavy traffic, what's the point?
- Steering wheel cruise control buttons placement and design is very convoluted and annoying. I see they updated its design in some 2019/2020 models (definitely improved in redesign).
- CARPLAY integration: disables song selection in HUD (maybe API limitation), navigation disables HUD (another API limitation), no quick and easy way to use native map (need to get in deep in navigation menu to force use native map)
- I got paint protection at the BMW dealership upon purchase. Not sure if it's related, but the car gets dirty really easily. As in, dust / dirt gets trapped on surface much much worse than my last Audi and Infiniti (all cars had black paints). My m550 lasts less than a day after car wash to lose its lustre.
- Accessories support is very limited... I want to black out the car with official kits but the selection is almost non-existent. There is a very cool LED grill, but it doesn't support night vision. There's carbon fibre side mirror, but no black ones. All routes lead to custom paint jobs instead.

I still love my car!

Last edited by Mr550i; 05-30-2019 at 10:37 AM..
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      05-30-2019, 10:50 AM   #5
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Re the traffic jam assist, you can adjust the distance between yourself and the car ahead.
My uk car is set to 3 (out of 4) which I feel is fine even in traffic. But as I say option there to try.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 11:52 AM   #6
Mr550i
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Re the traffic jam assist, you can adjust the distance between yourself and the car ahead.
My uk car is set to 3 (out of 4) which I feel is fine even in traffic. But as I say option there to try.
Really? I can't find this option, maybe a regional thing?

EDIT: oh you mean the bars icon on the steering wheel? Yes, I set it to 1 bar but I feel it's still too far, at extreme slow speed.

Last edited by Mr550i; 05-30-2019 at 12:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 12:19 PM   #7
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
I found that distance control design convoluted, would prefer something rock back and forth (vs cycle through) like the ACC speed setting
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 03:03 PM   #8
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

Wow.....that's quite a list of "cons"!! I agree that the system sometimes stays on, even if you turn the car off and wait a second or so before opening the door. I just push the Volume nob to turn it off. I can't speak to the seat belt alarm, since I always wear mine. I don't use carplay, but my bluetooth works flawlessly through the BMW systems. I don't have ambient air, and I don't understand this "winter" you are talking about, so can't help you there (tongue firmly in cheek!). I only use gesture control to answer/dismiss phone calls, and that also works flawlessly for me. And, if I want to make sure I locked the car, I just push unlock, then lock again, and I get the beeps. I hate ASS, and have trained myself to hit the start button and then immediately hit the ASS off button each time.....doesn't take long to get used to doing that. Most of the other stuff is just getting used to new systems, IMO. I love this car, best I have ever had. Very sorry to hear that it is so aggravating for you.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      05-30-2019, 04:49 PM   #9
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Here in the US I have mine set to default to the closest distance. Anything less than that and other cars start cutting in on me.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 05:13 AM   #10
AP
Major General
Rep

Yeh happens with me aswell but I just let the car back off to recover the gap. Personally find setting 3 about right on dry roads as allows about a 2 second gap which is what's required should the car suddenly slam on their brakes.
On wet roads I change it to 4 to allow even more space.

Don't really want to put the autonomous emergency braking to the test assuming it is up to the job.

Agree it would be nicer to be able to change the distance with a toggle up/down . The f10 was like this but the appetite seems to be to go for a single button with multiple functions .

Note the that the acc and lane assist are now being combined to a single button on the newer g30 steering wheel for model year 2020(someone post a picture of their new spec including the new instrument cluster)
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      05-31-2019, 08:54 AM   #11
Warp Ten
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLABRO View Post
......The no seat belt ping sounding forever can be coded to be turned off so you don't have to hear it via BimmerCode. **Note** you will have to buy the UniCarScan or OBDLink adapter to code this in, but it's a must have, IMO.

Seat belt reminder driver seat
Activate/deactivate the acoustic and visual seat belt reminder for the driver seat.

Values:
Active
Not active
Available in “Advanced Crash Safety Module” ACSM_5............
I have been using Bimmercode recently for a couple of things but I have to say their description of things leaves a bit to be desired from a clarity standpoint. If I want to turn off the Driver side seat belt warning, should "active" or Not active" be checked? I would not want to do this if they simply delayed the onset of the chime about five seconds. The chime starts ringing immediately when I turn the car on but I normally get in, start the car and then put my belt on. An annoyance. Also, any idea why my 2019 540xi does not show the Integrated Chassis Management module which contains the ability to set the default for cruise control distance? Thanks, Bob
      05-31-2019, 10:28 AM   #12
Mr550i
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlothery View Post
Wow.....that's quite a list of "cons"!! I agree that the system sometimes stays on, even if you turn the car off and wait a second or so before opening the door. I just push the Volume nob to turn it off. I can't speak to the seat belt alarm, since I always wear mine. I don't use carplay, but my bluetooth works flawlessly through the BMW systems. I don't have ambient air, and I don't understand this "winter" you are talking about, so can't help you there (tongue firmly in cheek!). I only use gesture control to answer/dismiss phone calls, and that also works flawlessly for me. And, if I want to make sure I locked the car, I just push unlock, then lock again, and I get the beeps. I hate ASS, and have trained myself to hit the start button and then immediately hit the ASS off button each time.....doesn't take long to get used to doing that. Most of the other stuff is just getting used to new systems, IMO. I love this car, best I have ever had. Very sorry to hear that it is so aggravating for you.
Haha no I do rather enjoy my car a lot! Like all things are, nothing's perfect but in an age where user experience and design matter more than ever, I expect the best from BMW.

Yeah I love *ASS* when done right; it could've been implemented better... Now that I think about it, Audi not only delays automatic stop, but it also is brake pressure sensitive. So if you step into your brake pedal deep, it can force automatic stop. ASS should be something the user don't need to think about, or turn it off every single time for that matter.

I do in no doubt believe the BMW M550i is the best car I've owned so far as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 10:54 AM   #13
AP
Major General
Rep

+1
No car is perfect and every car is a compromise but have to say the g30 is about as good as it gets (certainly the best I've owned ). Not sure how much better cars get if you starting paying considerably more money.

Not a fan of ASS myself but will say it is a improvement over the one in the f10.

I think it shows how good it is when items that some of us don't like are arguably first world minor issues.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 10:02 AM   #14
///M-er-gized
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i

I love my 540i.

Pros:
  • Too many pros to list.
  • I could spend the next hour listing them.
  • Love this car. Absolutely love this car.

Only 3 cons:
  • You can't really notice the blue M Sport Brakes with the standard 19" wheels that came with the car.
  • Driving in comfort mode is intolerable except maybe for when pulling out of the driveway or perhaps driving around a supermarket parking lot. I'm always in sport mode. Never tried ECO mode. I'm sure this because my previous car was an M car, so I just can't adjust to the kushy characteristics of comfort mode.
  • Standard seats. Definitely get the upgraded multi-contour seats.

Also, I have the M Sport Package, Premium Package, leather dash, HK, Driver Assistance, Parking Assistance and Executive tier. Those are must haves IMO. I definitely wouldn't be so in love with this car if it weren't for those features.

Last edited by ///M-er-gized; 06-01-2019 at 01:28 PM..
Appreciate 2
clee1982796.00
Warp Ten627.00
      06-01-2019, 01:08 PM   #15
CLABRO
THUNDER UP!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Sport G30

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp Ten View Post
I have been using Bimmercode recently for a couple of things but I have to say their description of things leaves a bit to be desired from a clarity standpoint. If I want to turn off the Driver side seat belt warning, should "active" or Not active" be checked? I would not want to do this if they simply delayed the onset of the chime about five seconds. The chime starts ringing immediately when I turn the car on but I normally get in, start the car and then put my belt on. An annoyance. Also, any idea why my 2019 540xi does not show the Integrated Chassis Management module which contains the ability to set the default for cruise control distance? Thanks, Bob
I agree. It could be more clear what each option does. Overall though, I think for ~$30 it is well worth it. The fact that we can code our cars with our phone using an app from the App Store is incredible. It would be nice if there was more detail or clarity regarding certain coding options though.

A forum on their website dedicated to coding with BimmerCode would be beneficial. They could even have it separated by different chassis like they do in the app. I know they have a FAQ section and how to videos, but it would be nice to see more resources. Not to mention, they would probably get a lot less customer emails and phone calls regarding questions if other members in the community could help them out in the forum first.

Also, my 530i doesn't show an Integrated Chassis Management section either. Here's a screenshot of all of the sections mine shows:
Attached Images

G30 l Alpine White l M Sport Package l Executive Tier l Icon Adaptive Full LED Headlights l Mocha Nappa Leather l Multi-Contour Seats l Drivers Assistance Package l Drivers Assistance Plus Package l Dynamic Handling Package l Parking Assistance Package l Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System l M Sport Brakes l Apple Carplay
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 02:17 PM   #16
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW Vader

Garage List
Wonder if he’s spotted the brake dust yet of the m sport brakes? Better get that on the list
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      06-02-2019, 11:02 AM   #17
Warp Ten
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540xi

I sent an email inquiry to Bimmercode and he answered promptly; here is what he said about my missing Integrated Chassis Management module:

Hi,
this control unit is not supported at the moment.

Kind regards / Schöne Grüße
Stephan Gauch

I sent a follow up about when he might update the program to include it but I never got a reply from him. --Bob
      11-18-2019, 05:14 PM   #18
Mr550i
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK - 421 View Post
Wonder if he’s spotted the brake dust yet of the m sport brakes? Better get that on the list
I know you're just being funny, but I took the 2019-2020 as a loaner during a maintenance. They fixed a bunch of these things I listed. Look at Connected Drive, they've even add a patch to fix the Auto Start-Stop sensitivity.

The goal really is just to help and get help if possible.

As a side note, yeah, I did get that brake dust
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 12:27 AM   #19
Dephead2004
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 520i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr550i View Post
I know you're just being funny, but I took the 2019-2020 as a loaner during a maintenance. They fixed a bunch of these things I listed. Look at Connected Drive, they've even add a patch to fix the Auto Start-Stop sensitivity.

The goal really is just to help and get help if possible.

As a side note, yeah, I did get that brake dust
Had regular service last week and asked for an istep update. Went from M to S version. At last ASS is improved especially in ecopro where it already used to cut out too soon. Not noticed other tweaks but expect to.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 08:06 AM   #20
wsveum
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr550i View Post
[INDENT]- Sometimes when I shut off the car, open the car door, the audio will still be playing until I get out and lock the door.
I think this happens if you open your door BEFORE you push the Stop button.
If you push the Stop button and THEN open the door, the audio will be shut off (if there is noone else in the car, but this is also configurable in iDrive). At least that's how it works on my 530e.
Appreciate 0