BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Updating software

12-06-2019, 11:29 AM   #1
naylon
Private
Rep
Drives: M3 / G30 530ix

Updating software

G30 / 2.0 Liter gasoline engine / 2018 may production

Dealer told me to update the software, each module is being updated, the overall system is being re-loaded with new software.

It took 6 hours and the update process was still not finished.

Did you update software recently?

How long did it take?

What did the SW add? New features? Softer drivability?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 12:03 PM   #2
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by naylon View Post

Dealer told me to update the software, each module is being updated, the overall system is being re-loaded with new software.

How long did it take?

Mine is 23 months old and both times I had it in for maintenance they did a software update. Hard to tell what is changed. It does tend to take many hours.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 12:37 PM   #3
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

6 hours is a little long for an ISTA programming session. It's likely they're having issues and attempting reprogramming or working with BMW to successfully program all modules.

Programming problems are not uncommon, so don't be concerned. They'll get it worked out.

As far as what the software upgrades address, mostly fixes and some subtle changes. It's not common that any new features are added, but sometimes new features do creep in. The programmers build into the software an algorithm that decodes the VIN and only unlocks features that were designed for that car and MY.
      12-07-2019, 03:23 AM   #4
en1gma
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G03 X3

They kept my 530i in overnight to do a software update as part of a planned service.

It deleted any coding (I had the Alpina dials, via BimmerCode) and also the 'soft' keys near the CD slot (which I programme for the tyre pressure display, a couple of phone speed dials, the equaliser for the Harmon sound system, etc).

My car was built Sept 2017, and I cannot see any extra functionality apart from the option to have an analogue clock in the main dials display instead of just a digital clock. This feature appeared to be hit and miss on builds around that time, and was commented on in these forums.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 10:01 AM   #5
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by naylon View Post

How long did it take?

I am literally at the dealership right now getting this completed. Like others have reported, my M550i is throwing error codes since they did the update. They are still working on it. I will report back this afternoon with the software version when they've finished it.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 01:37 PM   #6
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

when I had my ISTEP upgraded it took 2 -2.5 hours to do. Apparently it can depend upon some options you have fitted. For example they showed me that because I have VDC, they have to go through some sort of calibration process as a result.
Appreciate 2
claykin1587.50
      12-07-2019, 05:38 PM   #7
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
when I had my ISTEP upgraded it took 2 -2.5 hours to do. Apparently it can depend upon some options you have fitted. For example they showed me that because I have VDC, they have to go through some sort of calibration process as a result.
Got mine back today. Went from version P to version S. Lost almost all of my coding including widescreen CarPlay which was to be expected.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50
      12-07-2019, 08:56 PM   #8
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Widescreen CarPlay from OEM Navigations does not work with EVO version S (after the backup camera recall update). I have sent them an email with this attachment:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 09:20 PM   #9
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
Widescreen CarPlay from OEM Navigations does not work with EVO version S (after the backup camera recall update). I have sent them an email with this attachment:
I'd like to know BMW rationale for why they don't offer wide-screen as a menu option. Clearly it's not a complicated option to add and many users want it.
      12-07-2019, 09:23 PM   #10
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Quote:
I'd like to know BMW rationale for why they don't offer wide-screen as a menu option. Clearly it's not a complicated option to add and many users want it.
Not sure. I'm bummed, but I hope to get an update from OEM Navigations soon. They were very responsive when I purchased widescreen CarPlay from them in July. It's free to recode on the same VIN and it did connect to their cloud service, but they clearly need to update their code on the backend. I'll report back once they reply to me.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 09:28 PM   #11
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Not sure. I'm bummed, but I hope to get an update from OEM Navigations soon. They were very responsive when I purchased widescreen CarPlay from them in July. It's free to recode on the same VIN and it did connect to their cloud service, but they clearly need to update their code on the backend. I'll report back once they reply to me.
Could be a certificate issue and if BMW made changes to enable real encryption, you might be SOL. Hopefully it's not that.
      12-07-2019, 09:31 PM   #12
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Could be a certificate issue and if BMW made changes to enable real encryption, you might be SOL. Hopefully it's not that.
Yep. That's exactly why you can't replace the AT&T modem/gateway with your own router if you use AT&T Internet & U-verse. Their service require certificate-based authentication for the services to come up. Of course you can use your own router with their gateway, but you can't replace it. I sure hope it's not a cert thing or were effed.
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50
      12-07-2019, 09:43 PM   #13
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yep. That's exactly why you can't replace the AT&T modem/gateway with your own router if you use AT&T Internet & U-verse. Their service require certificate-based authentication for the services to come up. Of course you can use your own router with their gateway, but you can't replace it. I sure hope it's not a cert thing or were effed.
Oh AT&T. The evil deathstar. IMO they have one consumer grade Internet service worth being an AT&T customer. Everything else is crap.

Unfortunately AT&T fiber availability is about this, maybe worse.

12-07-2019, 09:45 PM   #14
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Oh AT&T. The evil deathstar. IMO they have one consumer grade Internet service worth being an AT&T customer. Everything else is crap.

I have the gigabit plan on AT&T Fiber. Works great. Never down once in the 9 months I've had it. 998Mbps up and down.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 09:51 PM   #15
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I have the gigabit plan on AT&T Fiber. Works great. Never down once in the 9 months I've had it. 998Mbps up and down.
That's the service I referred to be the only decent product from AT&T. Pathetic build out in South Florida.

I heard from a local telecom consultant, who has friends at AT&T, that they're redirecting $ to 5G and a future of fixed wireless. They don't want to spend the $$ on fiber for the last mile.
      12-07-2019, 09:52 PM   #16
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That's the service I referred to be the only decent product from AT&T. Pathetic build out in South Florida.

I heard from a local telecom consultant, who has friends at AT&T, that they're redirecting $ to 5G and a future of fixed wireless. They don't want to spend the $$ on fiber for the last mile.
And we won't see many 5G capable phones in the masses until late next year.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 09:56 PM   #17
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Forget phones (for the moment), I'm talking modems to deliver service to your home. That's where the $ are being spent.

AT&T on the business side is already talking about 5G as backup internet for businesses using AT&T managed fiber. Nothing available yet, but I'm hearing it starts Q2 2020.
      12-07-2019, 09:57 PM   #18
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Forget phones (for the moment), I'm talking modems to deliver service to your home. That's where the $ are being spent.

AT&T on the business side is already talking about 5G as backup internet for businesses using AT&T managed fiber. Nothing available yet, but I'm hearing it starts Q2 2020.
Yep. Verizon is already servicing 5G at home in Houston.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 10:01 PM   #19
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Here's Verizons page for their home Internet service. I'm hearing initially max speeds are 300Mb/s (probably not symmetrical) but can eventually ratchet up to 1Gb/s or higher. Not yet in South Florida but I hear coming soon to those within reasonable proximity of the mmwave towers. Probably 1000 foot radius.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/5g/home/
      12-07-2019, 10:03 PM   #20
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Here's Verizons page for their home Internet service. I'm hearing initially max speeds are 300Mb/s (probably not symmetrical) but can eventually ratchet up to 1Gb/s or higher. Not yet in South Florida but I hear coming soon.

I hate Verizon. The truth is they all suck one way or another.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 10:03 PM   #21
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Here's Verizons page for their home Internet service. I'm hearing initially max speeds are 300Mb/s (probably not symmetrical) but can eventually ratchet up to 1Gb/s or higher. Not yet in South Florida but I hear coming soon.

I hate Verizon. The truth is they all suck one way or another.
They do. Evil bastards we need to do crap like this. Lol.
      12-08-2019, 07:53 AM   #22
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

I have Cox's version (called gigablast). Works great. Also 900+ coming and going (although rarely can one get that as it gets slowed down somewhere in the world wide wait). Fiber optic into the house is the way to go.

I was first in my neighborhood but I believe that Cox has now made it available throughout the entire city.
Appreciate 0