BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Thoughts on the G30 after one year of ownership (3 Warranty Claims)

10-18-2019, 04:52 AM   #1
CoolWave911
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW G30 530i M Sport

Thoughts on the G30 after one year of ownership (3 Warranty Claims)

Hey guys, sorry for the rather long read but I wanna share my thoughts on the G30 after a year of ownership and the issues as well as my experience in dealing with them.

A bit of background info on my vehicle:

2017 built in Germany, probably one of the first units being built and spec towards the end of 2016. Delivered Feb 2017 and is currently about 54000km on the odo. I’m the second owner at 19000Km when bought, warranty will run out in March 2020 and thankfully I have been able to address a lot of faults while the factory warranty is still valid otherwise I’m sure I’ll be thousands dollars out of pocket later on.

So far I have 3 warranty claims on the car which I decided to share in detail with you regarding each of the fault and how to best approach BMW detailing the fault and get these rectified as soon as the problem arise:

- Wireless charging pad: As explained elsewhere on the forum, my charging pad suddenly started to show the amber charging indicator instead of the normally blue coloured. BMW technician tested it for one minute, concluded that my charging pad was normal; I stood my ground an asked them to test for extended period and voilla, they agreed that it was faulty. The phone would get really really hot if got left in the charging pad while it is showing the orange charging indicator. I can assure you guys that this is not healthy for your device at all considering how hot it was at tines.

Replacement charger ordered from Germany and came with an improved rubber surface which now hold phones and the Display Key in place while I’m driving, they used to be just sliding around and not charing at all. The original rubber was smooth and rather slippery, the new texture is grippy to the touch and does the job really well.

- Coin compartment under the headlight control: One day my coin compartment just fell open and cannot be latched again. I found a piece of metal which turns out to be a spring in the latch mechanism. Reported the fault to BMW and they also ordered a replacement together with the wireless charing pad.

The replacement compartment not only has an improved latch mechanism that feel really solid when closing and opening; it also now lined with a soft fabric like finish and completely eliminate rattling noises caused by the coins. This was one of the things that I thought BMW should have done in the first place, thankfully they implemented this into the later runs of the production so this could be standard on current units I guess.

- Loss of coolant & Radiator leak which directly related to the low coolant warnings over the one year period, 7-8 times the car gave me the low coolant warnings and had to topped up. Always been topped up with BMW genuine blue coolant mixed with demineralised water at 1:1 ratio. Initially there was no visible symptoms of a leak, as some of you might have already experienced, the warnings will go away after topping up the radiator. However, it finally got worse and started to visibly leaking coolant on the left hand front wheelwell after every drive. It feels to me the leak gets worse as the vehicle ages. Maybe for the others you won’t see this issue as bad as my case but my vehicle being used extensively so it accelerated the problem.

Reported the concern to a Service Consultant and was told that the technician topped it up with water already (I kinda felt annoyed that they didn’t use genuine coolant). I tried to get them to have a serious look at the issue but was told that this is quite common for this model to lose a bit of coolant. Over the next 3 months or so the car constantly asked for coolant more and more frequently and I documented every single one with photo of the dry reservoir and date as well as the warning screen in iDrive. Once it visibly leaking coolant under the car I called the BMW Roadside Assistance helpline and got it towed back to the dealership which they now deem the vehicle not safe to drive and an emergency diagnosis has to be performed.

What I liked is how they handled the whole thing at this stage versus the rather skeptical approach at the dealership level. They sent the tow truck to pick up my car, organised a paid hire car for me for 5 days because the dealership ran out of BMW loaners. They also organised a taxi to pick me up at work and drove me to Hertz car rental (2019 KIA Optima arranged which is not the cheapest rental option, quite thoughtful BMW!).

BMW identified the issue to a leaked expansion tank and it has to be replaced. Funny enough they have spares lying around as if this kind of fault is now a known issue whereas the other 2 minor parts had to be back ordered and flown in from Germany with a 4 weeks wait. I’ll be picking the vehicle up tomorrow and it should be all rectified.

Conclusion: Luckily I was able to get these fixed while the vehicle is still under warranty otherwise the coolant leak alone would have costs thousands to start with and then other associated costs to not having a vehicle for days. My advice would be take your vehicle to BMW as soon as you seen the mentioned symptoms before your warranty runs out especially people with early 2017 production units with only a few months on warranty left.
Attached Images

Last edited by CoolWave911; 10-19-2019 at 03:58 AM..
Appreciate 2
clee1982796.00
brissim84.00
      10-18-2019, 08:05 AM   #2
PetieD 7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 540i xDrive M Sport

I thought these vehicles came with 4 years of factory warranty?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 09:29 AM   #3
AFinnish530e
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e 2019 M Sport

4 years!? Really? It is only 2 years in Finland.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 02:11 PM   #4
Wivenhoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e - delivered Nov 19

3 years U.K. !
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 02:36 PM   #5
PetieD 7
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFinnish530e View Post
Over here in North America (US/CAN), I know 4 year bumper-to-bumper warranty is standard across the board for all new BMW sales. However, not too sure if the selling price at your neck-of-the-woods is factored in due to shorter warranty period.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 03:04 PM   #6
CoolWave911
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetieD 7 View Post
I thought these vehicles came with 4 years of factory warranty?
3 years only for Australia.

I’ve also got Service Inclusive which cover all service and basic parts for up to 5 years or 80,000km (excluding brake pads and discs).
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 08:08 PM   #7
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

Thanks for your Report. I think perhaps another example of why not to buy any new model in the first year of its release. Currently evaluating the about-to-be-released (in Australia) G21 3 Series wagon and while it looks good, I think we'll be holding off for another 12 months. Which co-incidentally brings us to the LCI updates on the G30/31 5 Series.....

Tony
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      10-19-2019, 03:27 AM   #8
CoolWave911
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brissim View Post
Thanks for your Report. I think perhaps another example of why not to buy any new model in the first year of its release. Currently evaluating the about-to-be-released (in Australia) G21 3 Series wagon and while it looks good, I think we'll be holding off for another 12 months. Which co-incidentally brings us to the LCI updates on the G30/31 5 Series.....

Tony
Lesson learned for sure. I'm buying LCI models from now on if I go for another BMW (Which I will haha)

UPDATE: See the attached job description from BMW. Appeared to be a leaked expansion tank in the cooling system. Well thankfully it wasn't a full on radiator leak like what the Service Consultant misunderstood and informed me the other day. They fixed it within 3 days which is quite fast considering how many cars they've got in the workshop to work on.
Attached Images

Last edited by CoolWave911; 10-19-2019 at 03:48 AM..
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      10-19-2019, 05:32 AM   #9
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

My car is the same age as OP. I ordered mine just before Xmas in 2016 and got it in March 2017. It currently has 37000 miles on the odometer.

I have had the coin pocket replaced like the OP otherwise no other problems. There was a recall bulletin for EGR cooler which was done by chance when they replaced the coin pocket.

It has been a solid car, the most loved car in the family. Everybody loves the 20 inch wheel, the cognac interior, the ambient lighting and the HUD. I particularly love the icon adaptive lighting, makes the car stand out and very useful and magical at night. It makes the car a bit exclusive as many G30s on the road do not have the option

It is the most comfortable car I have had to date, quick on its feet for a 4 cylinder car. Driving it makes me feel rich. It is a mile muncher. Just complete 300 miles of another effortless 600 mile round trip to London.

I have not regretted buying it and the whole family wants me to keep it. I would buy a first year car again, I love the initial 6-12 months of exclusivity when they were few on the road.
      10-19-2019, 06:39 AM   #10
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolWave911 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by brissim View Post

Tony
Lesson learned for sure. I'm buying LCI models from now on if I go for another BMW (Which I will haha)

UPDATE: See the attached job description from BMW. Appeared to be a leaked expansion tank in the cooling system. Well thankfully it wasn't a full on radiator leak like what the Service Consultant misunderstood and informed me the other day. They fixed it within 3 days which is quite fast considering how many cars they've got in the workshop to work on.
Though wouldn't LCI introduce its own slew of issues... (like a mini first year model)
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 02:02 AM   #11
CoolWave911
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post
Though wouldn't LCI introduce its own slew of issues... (like a mini first year model)
Mechanically not so much since there seems to be nothing updated in the engine bay. Software issues perhaps but BMW has some time left to iron the bugs out of iDrive 7.0 until the G30 LCI comes out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babaikram View Post
My car is the same age as OP. I ordered mine just before Xmas in 2016 and got it in March 2017. It currently has 37000 miles on the odometer.

I have had the coin pocket replaced like the OP otherwise no other problems. There was a recall bulletin for EGR cooler which was done by chance when they replaced the coin pocket.

It has been a solid car, the most loved car in the family. Everybody loves the 20 inch wheel, the cognac interior, the ambient lighting and the HUD. I particularly love the icon adaptive lighting, makes the car stand out and very useful and magical at night. It makes the car a bit exclusive as many G30s on the road do not have the option

It is the most comfortable car I have had to date, quick on its feet for a 4 cylinder car. Driving it makes me feel rich. It is a mile muncher. Just complete 300 miles of another effortless 600 mile round trip to London.

I have not regretted buying it and the whole family wants me to keep it. I would buy a first year car again, I love the initial 6-12 months of exclusivity when they were few on the road.
In Sydney there are not many 5er on the road so that exclusivity lasts more than 6-12 months here haha I honestly seen about 5 or 6 other G30s on the roads ever since I had mine.

Even though this car has been problematic and thankfully all fixed under warranty, I still think that it is a great vehicle overall. To my partner it felt like we bought a lemon because of the problems and being a premium vehicle it supposed to be better built, which I agreed as well. But to me being able to drive it daily up to such high milage has been nothing but an enjoyable experience. Of course I accelerated her age and it possibly is one of the highest mileage in the world I guess but hey, it’s a car and I’m using it the way it supposed to be. At least I now know that most of the issues were rectified and finger crossed no more major things coming up as I’m about to run out of warranty. Maybe I’ll get rid of it and grab a LCI next year, just maybe
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 12:58 PM   #12
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
4 years or 50,000 miles bumper to bumper warranty in the US (Whichever comes first) and 3 years or 36,000 miles
Included scheduled service, whichever comes first.

New car warranties in Europe and else in the world suck plain and simple.

These cars are cheaper in the US too.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 01:00 PM   #13
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Over here in North America (US/CAN), I know 4 year bumper-to-bumper warranty is standard across the board for all new BMW sales. However, not too sure if the selling price at your neck-of-the-woods is factored in due to shorter warranty period.
Is the high taxation that makes new cars cost prohibitive in Europe.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 01:01 PM   #14
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

My 530o is also a first year 2017 model, built in Dilgofing, Germany in Feb 2017. Great car.

Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 01:43 PM   #15
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

I think the cars are great but there are so many expensive parts to break that my plan is to keep my loaded 2018 530e for seven years -- four years of BMW warranty and three more from GEICO.

I might trade it in earlier but no way will I keep it longer.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 04:36 AM   #16
CoolWave911
Private
Rep

***UPDATE: Sorry but nothing positive guys. The Display Key broke. It no longer charge wirelessly.

I know it’s minor but still a fault. Gonna do another warranty claim.

So there you have it, 55000km later and many issues came up.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 08:16 AM   #17
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Consumer Union recommends not buying a new car in the first year of production. No matter who the car manufacturer is.

My 2018 530e MSport is 23 months old. Other than the compartment under the light switch failing (I don't think of it as a coin compartment as it s too weirdly shaped for that) my car has been solid. But mine was manufactured in November of 2017 so it is a second year car.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 10:24 AM   #18
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Having owned many BMWs, some new, some used, some first year, some LCI, most neither, and I can honestly report that it just doesn't matter. It's a big giant crap shoot if you get a good one or a problematic one.

A factor too is what kind of service department you have, the luck of the draw as to which tech gets it and what kind of day he or she is having. You know, rushed, hung-over, enthusiastic, etc.

Glad to read that overall, the OP is happy with their car.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 03:23 PM   #19
CoolWave911
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerit View Post
I don’t understand why you can’t buy a car in the first year of production ?? I bought my car in 2016 immediately after it entered the market. And so far she is in excellent condition.
Same here, it's just your luck I guess. Mine came up with minor and random issues except for the coolant leak which was considered major. These faults were a let down on an otherwise excellent vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 07:30 PM   #20
DBO
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: G30 540i SDrive (MPPSK+Mods)

Thanks for posting. I've only had low coolant come up once, which I put down to just regular wear. You can accept minor issues as long as the dealer looks after you.

I just read that Oz sales are up 67% for the first four months of 2019 compared to the same period last year. It just beat the E Class for the same period (480 vs. 471), making it the most popular car in the large luxury segment in Australia.

Still enjoy my car everytime I drive it. Looking forward to trying the M550 when it comes out next year.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 12:44 PM   #21
Wivenhoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e - delivered Nov 19

Quote:
I have spec'd my 530e M Sport on the US configurator. Interestingly it lists as $68k which is approx £ 53k which is what I paid for my 'optioned up' car. The UK price lists are a joke - my car at list was £ 63k so £ 10k discount.

What sort of discounts do you get in the US ?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 05:53 PM   #22
PetieD 7
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wivenhoe View Post
Quote:
I have spec'd my 530e M Sport on the US configurator. Interestingly it lists as $68k which is approx £ 53k which is what I paid for my 'optioned up' car. The UK price lists are a joke - my car at list was £ 63k so £ 10k discount.

What sort of discounts do you get in the US ?
It really depends on many factors. Typically, the discount is usually between 7%-12% off the MSRP, however, I've seem as high as 19% in the past.
Appreciate 0