BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions NFC Keycard option for G30?

11-12-2019, 01:56 PM   #23
CLABRO
THUNDER UP!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Sport G30

Garage List
According to BMW, the G05 X5 (2019 and newer) is/was the first to get the NFC Digital Key. I can confirm it's available in a 2019 X5 loaner that I'm currently driving.

I was curious about this as well so I spent some time awhile back just trying to find out more about it. It would be helpful if things like this were more easily accessible from BMW and not so hard to find. The whole connected drive ecosystem needs to be better organized and be more transparent upfront that tells you this is what you get or don't get with a G30. Once you find the information, it's laid out fairly well I think, but getting the information is the part that needs some attention, iMO.

This info is available at https://www.bmwusa.com/explore/conne...ReadytoConnect

Attached Images
File Type: pdf ServiceAvailabilityMatrix.pdf (231.6 KB, 58 views)

G30 l Alpine White l M Sport Package l Executive Tier l Icon Adaptive Full LED Headlights l Mocha Nappa Leather l Multi-Contour Seats l Drivers Assistance Package l Drivers Assistance Plus Package l Dynamic Handling Package l Parking Assistance Package l Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System l M Sport Brakes l Apple Carplay

Last edited by CLABRO; 11-12-2019 at 02:06 PM..
Appreciate 2
clee1982796.00
DBO157.50
      11-12-2019, 03:35 PM   #24
DBO
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: G30 540i SDrive (MPPSK+Mods)

Great info CLABRO. Thanks for sharing that.
I'm surprised to see that the digital key is an annual subscription... . Most of that relates to the phone integration I bet, however the key card seems to just be an extension of that same functionality.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      11-12-2019, 03:55 PM   #25
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLABRO View Post
According to BMW, the G05 X5 (2019 and newer) is/was the first to get the NFC Digital Key. I can confirm it's available in a 2019 X5 loaner that I'm currently driving.

I was curious about this as well so I spent some time awhile back just trying to find out more about it. It would be helpful if things like this were more easily accessible from BMW and not so hard to find. The whole connected drive ecosystem needs to be better organized and be more transparent upfront that tells you this is what you get or don't get with a G30. Once you find the information, it's laid out fairly well I think, but getting the information is the part that needs some attention, iMO.

The biggest issue with that guide is it hasn't been updated in almost a year (since January 2019). As such, it mentions stuff like Digital Key being supported on iDrive 7 vehicles and only lists the X5 as it was the only car shipping with iDrive 7 at the time I believe. You see that by looking at the next page where they lists this feature for iDrive 7 cars with Comfort Access and Connected Package Pro.

I don't think Digital Key is supported on my MY2020 530e though which has these packages.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      11-13-2019, 11:07 AM   #26
CLABRO
THUNDER UP!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Sport G30

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
The biggest issue with that guide is it hasn't been updated in almost a year (since January 2019). As such, it mentions stuff like Digital Key being supported on iDrive 7 vehicles and only lists the X5 as it was the only car shipping with iDrive 7 at the time I believe. You see that by looking at the next page where they lists this feature for iDrive 7 cars with Comfort Access and Connected Package Pro.

I don't think Digital Key is supported on my MY2020 530e though which has these packages.
I agree. This is an area where the ConnectedDrive ecosystem is subpar and needs to be updated, easier to access, and more transparent/clear. Everyone who owns a BMW or even interested in one should have updated information about this stuff.

G30 l Alpine White l M Sport Package l Executive Tier l Icon Adaptive Full LED Headlights l Mocha Nappa Leather l Multi-Contour Seats l Drivers Assistance Package l Drivers Assistance Plus Package l Dynamic Handling Package l Parking Assistance Package l Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System l M Sport Brakes l Apple Carplay
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      11-13-2019, 11:45 AM   #27
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Current Gen 1 digital key doesn't seem to be a good solution (not cross platform at this time) so BMW is on to Gen 2. See here:

https://www.bmwblog.com/2019/11/12/t...ey-technology/
      11-13-2019, 11:46 AM   #28
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
Quote:

Digital key is not supported on 2020 G30.
      11-15-2019, 02:08 AM   #29
Wivenhoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e - delivered Nov 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Digital key is not supported on 2020 G30.
Despite what it says in the printed manual, the Drivers Guide & Connected Drive, the 2020 G30 does not, will not have, Remote Software Update and the iDrive 7 is not the full version other cars have. Some commands seen to work on other cars on YouTube get “this command is not possible in this vehicle”. Therefore the command is recognised but unavailable.
My car is going in for a complete software re-install as it is so unstable - it deletes things like home address, loses Spotify, loses my profile, Intelligent Voice Assistant is variable (commands working previously won’t work other times), Remote 3D view unavailable.
One of the reasons I switched from Mercedes was because the 2020 G30 was sold as having much more advanced ‘tech’ than the E Class. Doesn’t seem totally true. The capability of MercedesMe is streets ahead of my Connected Drive e.g. geofencing, remote opening/closing windows & Sunroof, trip info that works, petrol prices, theft / parking damage notification, etc.
I really like the 530e but just wish that BMW would just deliver what it said it would in terms of iDrive 7. Rant over
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 04:01 PM   #30
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:

Looks like the updated Service Availability Matrix is finally published confirming what we already know. No Digital Key support for the G30. Just sharing really so people know the guide has updated data.

https://www.bmwusa.com/content/dam/b...lityMatrix.pdf
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 10:32 AM   #31
marsb007
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX M60

NFC card could be good but the current version is a PITA. You have to take the card out of the wallet to use it (and I have a minimalist one which is extremely thin). And then plop it on the charging pad.

As an emergency key it's nice. As an everyday key it's terrible...

EDIT: The pairing was awful on the X5. I literally got it working by accident. Just in case someone has the same issue, I found out that starting the car with the NFC card on the charging pad activated the pairing process. If you start the car with the regular key and then activate the process, it will fail.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00