BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding BMW Routes Portal closing end of Year

11-21-2019, 05:13 AM   #1
Dephead2004
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 520i

BMW Routes Portal closing end of Year

We are invited to contact Connected drive: bmwconnecteddrive@bmwfin.com

Dear connected drive,

I was very disappointed to read on the routes website that the service will be terminating at the end of the year.

Although you can send destinations to your vehicle , you cannot calculate the entire route with options and amend it on line prior to entering the vehicle and commencing the journey.

I have been a regular user of this over 3 BMWs and would ask you to reconsider the removal of this service.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely,
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 07:26 AM   #2
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

To clarify , is that a route (ie multiple locations) or is it the send to car from the app on your phone?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 11:22 AM   #3
Dephead2004
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

This is the web based app which uses Google maps to plot the routes but is taylored to our cars. Route can then be sent to the car from within the app. No it's not related in any way to the phone app.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 11:23 AM   #4
Dephead2004
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephead2004 View Post
This is the web based app which uses Google maps to plot the routes but is taylored to our cars. Route can then be sent to the car from within the app. No it's not related in any way to the phone app.
https://www.bmw-routes.com/uk/en/index.jsp
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 09:48 AM   #5
Farravi
Newbie to G30
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 530e

Have no idea what this is? Looked at the website that you cited but it doesn't explain what it is.

In any event, I have the connected app but probably haven't subscribed to this service that you're referring to.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 03:32 PM   #6
Dephead2004
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farravi View Post
Have no idea what this is? Looked at the website that you cited but it doesn't explain what it is.

In any event, I have the connected app but probably haven't subscribed to this service that you're referring to.
Well it's an excellent little site that allows you to plot a route from pc or tablet at home. Adjust the route by dragging and ask for alternatives. Then send to car and save for another time.

Login with your connected drive credentials.

It does what nothing else does especially: it's warm at home and not freezing in the car.

The whole route not just destination is sent along with alternatives.

Your routes are ( or were) saved for all time.

Maps used are Google maps and have satellite and road map images.

Nothing else comes close.

So why shut it down?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 07:04 PM   #7
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Well it's an excellent little site that allows you to plot a route from pc or tablet at home. Adjust the route by dragging and ask for alternatives. Then send to car and save for another time.

It does what nothing else does especially: it's warm at home and not freezing in the car.

So why shut it down?
Probably due to low use and looking to consolidate around the Connected app. Not that it sounds like the Connected app actually does everything this does. A shame this ins't available in the US as I'd use it a fair bit I'm sure as the app only allows 1 stop to be added.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 01:23 PM   #8
scotsman335dxDrive
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 335d xDrive M Sport Plus

Quote:

So why shut it down?
+1 Brilliant route planner, a bit clunky but as you say nothing i have found comes close. Typical of BMW to get something right then choose to close it down.

I did hear something about it getting "updated" and integrated into the Connecteddrive site, not sure how long that will take them if it`s true.
      12-19-2019, 01:41 PM   #9
Dephead2004
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

It's gone, closed, shut down, vanished, gone to meet it's maker, it is no more, it is a dead site.
Of course the menu in my I drive is still there but does nothing.
At least I managed to get my routes out and downloaded to the car before the end. That bit addition works.
I also was rewarded for my complaint about this, by a years free concierge service. Thanks. I gave it a go and the route was beautifully sent direct to the nav. It then took me to the wrong place.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 06:43 PM   #10
saporitj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540ix M Sport

Too bad because I sent BMW a email a year ago complaining about the lack of customization in the app as opposed to the car. In the car you can select preferences like tool roads, dirt roads etc. but not in app so routes change when sent to car. This sounds like it fixed that. Oh well.
      12-19-2019, 08:04 PM   #11
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by saporitj View Post
Too bad because I sent BMW a email a year ago complaining about the lack of customization in the app as opposed to the car. In the car you can select preferences like tool roads, dirt roads etc. but not in app so routes change when sent to car. This sounds like it fixed that. Oh well.
My understanding of the app is that it sends destinations, but not routes. The routes shown in the app are previews to give you a general idea.

My biggest gripe with the app is we can only add one stop to what we send to the car. I would like to build trips with multiple stops that I can save to the car. Route previews are less important since those will float based on traffic, construction, and etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 08:35 PM   #12
Dephead2004
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
My understanding of the app is that it sends destinations, but not routes. The routes shown in the app are previews to give you a general idea.

My biggest gripe with the app is we can only add one stop to what we send to the car. I would like to build trips with multiple stops that I can save to the car. Route previews are less important since those will float based on traffic, construction, and etc.
That's exactly what bmw routes could do.
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2019, 08:52 PM   #13
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
That's exactly what bmw routes could do.
It is a real loss. I really hope it is added to the application.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 01:53 AM   #14
Dephead2004
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I've joined the app testing programme to promote it
Appreciate 0