BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions 2019 530e Range

11-05-2021, 01:08 PM   #23
Shawnk10
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 530e iPerformance

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
You might be on to something here on the battery reserve. According to Clipper Creek, it should take me 2.5 hours to fully charge my 530e. But it has actually been taking me just under 2 hours to charge from "---" to full. So perhaps BMW has increased the reserve.

My car was built in November of 2017 and has not had any software updates.
SteveinArizona

When you first got the car, what was the most that showed? I have a 2018 also that was built in Nov 2017, but got it pre-owned and in the last month it dropped max from 14 to 12 (I do surface driving in comfort mode and dont have a lead foot ).

I use a clipper creek 20A Lvl 2 to charge and it does it in 2hrs
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 03:52 PM   #24
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnk10 View Post
SteveinArizona

When you first got the car, what was the most that showed? I have a 2018 also that was built in Nov 2017, but got it pre-owned and in the last month it dropped max from 14 to 12 (I do surface driving in comfort mode and dont have a lead foot ).

I use a clipper creek 20A Lvl 2 to charge and it does it in 2hrs
First, note that my posts that you are referencing were almost three years ago. A lot of miles since then.

I also have a 20 Amp Clipper Creek and it has always charged my car in 1 hour and 55 minutes from alleged empty.

My range estimate when I first got the car was around 16 or 17. It slowly went down which I attributed to my driving style (I didn't buy the car to save on fuel; I bought it to help protect the environment). But more recently it went down to 10 or 11 and didn't go up when the hot weather cooled. So I realized that the BMW app tells me how much energy I am putting into the car. It showed that consistently filling from empty I was only putting in 5 or 6 KWH when it should have been 7-8 KWH by my calculation.

I took my car in for scheduled maintenance and reported the problem. The dealership ran a battery test and found a bad cell. They are now replacing the entire battery pack.

My takeaway is don't focus on the estimated range...it is subject to too many variables. Focus on how much energy you are putting into your car.
Appreciate 2