BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Tip in / Throttle lag - 2022 BMW M550i

08-23-2023, 10:06 AM   #45
Brucelinc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatordog72 View Post
Dragging up an old thread as I am new to the G30 M550i (2021 model) that I purchased about 2 months ago.

Two other things I have noticed and wonder if anyone has also noticed:

Shifts from 2nd gear to 3rd gear the transmission seems to be considerably less smooth than in any other gear changes? It's like it double clutches (I don't mean like DCT - I have no idea of what those feel like). Best I can describe it is you can feel the box shift to third, but then you feel it engage after a little delay. It makes the car sort of bobble as you accelerate changing from 2nd to 3rd. I don't feel this in any other gear change, and all the others are so super smooth - The ZF 8 box is usually excellent. My X5 uses the same ZF8 (although I'm sure it's not hte same since that was from 8 years before the one in the 2021 M550), and it's super smooth in all gear changes. Anyone else notice this?

The other thing I encountered is when you are coming to a stop, the car downshifts as expected. But, it seems it really jerks the car a bit as you brake as it sequentially shifts down through the gears. It's not overly offensive, but it's definitely not smooth engaging and my wife has commented that it's kinda jerky. We defintely haven't noticed this in our other BMWs through the years, but this is the newest model we have experience with. Is this normal and just something to adjust to?
I would get that checked out. In comfort mode '22 M550 transmission is super smooth both upshifting and downshifting. In fact you don't even notice the shifts unless you are particularly looking for them. Sport + mode upshifts are more aggressive but still not harsh at all.

As for the tip-in, yes it is very soft but I have no delay at all. Compared to my other vehicles, the BMW is much smoother in stop/go traffic. I like the soft tip-in. When you want a quick take-off, just press the throttle a bit further....and you will find your head smashed against the head restraint.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2023, 10:23 AM   #46
iamcc88
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: NA

Garage List
2021 BMW M550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manley00 View Post
My 2020 was doing just this…. Then it dawned on me. In mine it was Traction Control limiting throttle. It was sensing wheel slip when I had on all nanny systems. Try it with all off by holding TC button down for 5 seconds. You can also try just disabling part of the system with one press. If you do have the newest update it should have addressed the previous issues. One way to tell is by utilizing launch control and seeing what RPM it holds at. That was one of the larger differences in the updated software. If it pins at 3k you’re updated. It try the TC first and see if that’s what’s causing it.

It genuinely scared me a few times because it fell flat on its face jumping out in traffic. Now, before I do that, I disable.

Good luck!
BINGO! I came here to make this comment. Here’s my tip though, don’t turn the traction control off all the way. Just press the button once and put it in “sport traction” mode and that will solve the problem.

Where I live we have a “highway” which is really 2 lanes in each direction at 50-70mph and then instead of exits we have U-Turns every so often meaning you are forced to U-Turn into 50-70mph traffic depending on the time of day.

I had a few close calls where I thought to myself “is my car intentionally trying to kill me?” And finally through other things I learned about sport traction and that has COMPLETELY solved this issue.

It’s the first thing I do now when I turn the car on.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2023, 10:24 AM   #47
iamcc88
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1A View Post
Manley, thanks for the detailed description on what to try. I thought the trac control may help for non-launch starts. I'll try full disable. I've never tried launch control, and don't care much about the 0-60 time (sounds funny coming from a fellow 550 owner The lag becomes a serious issue when making a quick left turn or quick launch when my lane ends.
I commented this elsewhere but want to make sure you see it. Try “sport traction” rather than disabling. All you do is press traction control button one time.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2023, 10:26 AM   #48
iamcc88
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomaM550i View Post
Yea, I'm not seeing this at all. Instant power. Sports Plus Mode or die.
Sport Plus basically disables half the traction control so that is exactly why you don’t experience this! I always used Sport+ but I don’t like the rough shifts so now I use sport individual with everything set as sporty as possible and then I turn traction control to the “sport traction” setting.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2023, 10:27 AM   #49
iamcc88
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M550i  [0.00]
Well I just realized I was commenting on a wicked old thread LOL
Appreciate 1
NGT25617.50