BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions BMW 530e front fan turning on by itself

07-20-2023, 12:08 PM   #1
bmwe
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e 2021

Exclamation BMW 530e front fan turning on by itself

Hello everyone, I am having this issue with my 2021 530e that I was not able to find a clear answer to in this forum so I decided to create a thread about it.

Yesterday it was charging, after it fully charged I disconnected the car, and as I was going to put the charger away, the fan of the car started to run at full blast. I unlocked then locked the door , the fan stopped running. Nothing happened after that. I just thought the battery overheated.

Today, I parked it for an hour or so, the battery range was 50km's. After I got back to the car, the range was now 18 km's. Rest of my road was downhill, so the range eventually got to 40km's. I was driving in hybrid mode, did not do any sharp accelerations or maneuvers, just normal driving. Could these be connected?

And as of writing this post, the car's fan turned on again, I unlocked and locked the door, the fan stopped again. It was charging this time though and was nearing 99%. The car shows no warnings at all, the phone app shows no warnings as well.

I double checked that I do not have the function where it turns on the AC by itself to keep the car cool or anything like that. It was serviced just a week ago for its fluids, and nothing problematic popped up anything there as well.

I think the range decreasing that much and the fan spinning has a connection. The weather in the area I am driving is not too hot at all, ranges between 25-28 celsius.

Did any of you guys encounter anything like this on your 530e's, or any hybrid BMW's for that matter?
Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2023, 12:16 PM   #2
capese21
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 5 series Msport G30 530e

The battery pack is liquid cooled so the fan runs as required.

If you accelerate hard the range will drop & if you drive sensibly range will increase.

Any load will decrease the range. e.g. Aircon.

imho your 530e is showing normal behavior.
Appreciate 1
      07-20-2023, 12:33 PM   #3
bmwe
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by capese21 View Post
The battery pack is liquid cooled so the fan runs as required.

If you accelerate hard the range will drop & if you drive sensibly range will increase.

Any load will decrease the range. e.g. Aircon.

imho your 530e is showing normal behavior.
Hey, of course I understand that, but in that case, my driving style did not change.
But the fan, any idea why it would randomly start? Charging ones I understand, but the time when it was not charging, it randomly started on a somewhat normal not so hot day.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2023, 10:15 PM   #4
Numark318i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwe View Post
But the fan, any idea why it would randomly start? Charging ones I understand, but the time when it was not charging, it randomly started on a somewhat normal not so hot day.
My ‘22 usually kicks the fan on while charging and the temperature is above 80f (~27c). I park my car in direct sunlight when charging at work, in the afternoon while charging the fan kicks on periodically.

It then turns on at ~4:15pm when pre conditioning for my 5:00pm departure time.

Are you sure you didn’t turn on precondition for departure, or you don’t have a departure plan selected on accident?

My guess would be it is kicking on because the battery was warm from charging or it was conditioning the battery for departure.

Keep us updated if you find out more.

Monaco Blue 2008 328i/Sports/6 Speed
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2023, 04:42 AM   #5
bmwe
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numark318i View Post
My ‘22 usually kicks the fan on while charging and the temperature is above 80f (~27c). I park my car in direct sunlight when charging at work, in the afternoon while charging the fan kicks on periodically.

It then turns on at ~4:15pm when pre conditioning for my 5:00pm departure time.

Are you sure you didn’t turn on precondition for departure, or you don’t have a departure plan selected on accident?

My guess would be it is kicking on because the battery was warm from charging or it was conditioning the battery for departure.

Keep us updated if you find out more.
for the plan, it says turned off in the bmw app, I will check out all of the menus though to make sure it isn't on.
I did schedule a service appointment, so if guys at bmw figure it out, I will make sure to share it.
Appreciate 1
Joe-BMW337337.50
      08-23-2023, 12:01 AM   #6
Mihali
Rep
Drives: Bmw g30 530e

My fan automatically begins to run on full blast usually when i have it charging in my garage. Never really runs like that outside because of more airflow. Wondering it may be because the car is detecting hot temperatures in this case it’s in my garage and needs to cool off accordingly after driving. The car knows when it’s at high temperatures so it starts the fans on full blast which is what you’re encountering. Nothing really strange to me I think it is normal. Anyone else hate how you can’t automatically start your car to warm up because it’s a hybrid :/ . Least favorite thing about it
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2023, 01:54 AM   #7
SonD
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 545e (Finally :-) )

Sounds completely normal behaviour to me as well.
Depending on outdoor temp, and length of charge, a fan cuts in on mine as well.
Never proven to be an issue.
I believe the final 20% of the charge is when the battery needs help to keep cool, as that is when most heat is generated (a physics thing)
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2023, 08:37 PM   #8
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
The fan running to cool the battery is very normal. You should really stop interrupting it as well. The battery is cooling so it stays within safe operating temperatures. If you force it out of that condition by finding ways to turn the fans off you risk a fire. So stop.

Let the car manage its systems as the engineers in Germany designed it to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mihali View Post
Anyone else hate how you can’t automatically start your car to warm up because it’s a hybrid :/ . Least favorite thing about it
What do you mean? I don't follow you here.
Appreciate 1
SonD325.00
      08-24-2023, 03:15 AM   #9
SonD
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 545e (Finally :-) )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mihali View Post
My fan automatically begins to run on full blast usually when i have it charging in my garage. Never really runs like that outside because of more airflow. Wondering it may be because the car is detecting hot temperatures in this case it’s in my garage and needs to cool off accordingly after driving. The car knows when it’s at high temperatures so it starts the fans on full blast which is what you’re encountering. Nothing really strange to me I think it is normal. Anyone else hate how you can’t automatically start your car to warm up because it’s a hybrid :/ . Least favorite thing about it
Being a hybrid - just use your app to pre condition - it will be warm and toasty within 15 minutes, and the battery will be at correct temp.
this can only happen if sufficient charge in battery, so having it plugged in while you do this gives you maximum range, and a warm car.

Unless you mean turning on the engine to warm it up?
Not a great idea just leaving an engine running while sat on the drive with no one in it.
Technically illegal here in the UK in any case, and it also makes it rather easy for the car to disappear without you in it.
Appreciate 1
Mihali1.50