BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Tip in / Throttle lag - 2022 BMW M550i

04-13-2022, 10:28 PM   #23
F1A
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 M550i Xdrive

Brucelinc, your last paragraph is exactly my situation. Slam the accelerator = no neck snapping reaction, just an instant lag. Your previous comment about soft throttle tip-in is what I use when disengaging auto hold at a stop sign/light - just light enough to induce a roll. As I ease into the pedal travel, boost builds and freight train torque kicks in.

I'll have tech drive at my next service and report back.
Appreciate 1
540iSUP704.00
      04-14-2022, 05:56 AM   #24
540iSUP
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30, E36

I've had this issue since I first purchased my 540. I was thinking about getting a pedal commander too. I wouldn't say its a 2 sec delay, more like a 0.5 sec delay.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2022, 07:44 AM   #25
BMW012
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M550i CBM/Ivory

Garage List
not sure if already mentioned here already, but there was a service action: software issue impacting accelerating time (program control unites dme).

It might have been for the 2021 models tho?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2022, 11:52 PM   #26
M1903a3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW012 View Post
not sure if already mentioned here already, but there was a service action: software issue impacting accelerating time (program control unites dme).

It might have been for the 2021 models tho?
That software update was to fix a communication issue between the traction control and the transmission when using launch control that was causing the 550s and 540s to be a couple of tenths slower in 0 - 60 time. It had nothing to do with hesitation when pressing the accelerator from a standing start in normal driving.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2022, 10:07 AM   #27
modthispny
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 540i M sport

It is the traction control, even if the tc light does not go on it is still being engaged. Happened to my m550i, happens to my 540i.

If you completely disengage tc by holding it for about 5 seconds, you will feel a huge difference, no more lag.

Not sure why it does this, guessing the tc is over-sensitive? Keep in mind doing so will completely disengage tc so do this at your own risk!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2022, 10:33 AM   #28
Brucelinc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M550i

TC off or on makes zero difference on my M550 unless I am doing an all-out brake torque launch or engaging launch control.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2022, 08:07 PM   #29
SomaM550i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurine Red M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1A View Post
Brucelinc, your last paragraph is exactly my situation. Slam the accelerator = no neck snapping reaction, just an instant lag. Your previous comment about soft throttle tip-in is what I use when disengaging auto hold at a stop sign/light - just light enough to induce a roll. As I ease into the pedal travel, boost builds and freight train torque kicks in.

I'll have tech drive at my next service and report back.
If you're expecting "neck snapping" reactions in a 3.5 sec 0-60 sec time - I'm not sure what to tell you, but you're expectations are way too high.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2022, 08:09 AM   #30
aidant799
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 520D G30 M-Sport 2019

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sauce25 View Post
Hello All,

Not sure if I am using the right terms but I am referring to the lag that occurs when I start to press the throttle. Nothing happens in the first 1” of movement and then it launches. If you press light and hold for a sec it then starts to move. There's like a 1-2 sec delay. Have any of you they may be experiencing this found a solution without a tune? It's the same with Sport and Sport Plus. It even happens using the paddles. My 2018 540 had it too but in Sport you had acceleration right as the paddle moved. Thanks in advanced for you replies.

Sauce

Did you manage to get to the bottom of this?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2022, 03:48 PM   #31
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i X M Sport

This sounds like a software issue. I was looking to buy a Audi Q8 and it had this same issue. I wrote about it on the Audi forum and I noticed it during my test drive. It disappeared in sport mode. I passed on the car and from what I understand it was corrected with a software update. Evidentially it was programmed the way it was to boost mpg but was updated when enough people complained. My post it called throttle lag on Audizine
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2022, 11:44 AM   #32
Rocket455
Grumpysaurus Rex
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M550i

Garage List
1972 Firechicken  [0.00]
1969 Toronado  [0.00]
1970 Camaro  [0.00]
OP: I think I know exactly what you mean. It's almost as if the pedal is not connected to the throttle at all for that first 1" of travel, like a dead pedal. Once engagement occurs, it can sometime lead to an explosive burst of motion that should have started the instant you began depressing the pedal in the first place. This behavior makes driving behavior thoroughly unpredictable and downright dangerous at time.

I have a '22 M550i, and though I have not experienced this issue on this car, I purchased a 2022 VW Taos SE (FWD) a few months ago, and that car is *notorious* for this problem to the point where driving is actually dangerous. After doing some research, I got the Carista OBD2 adapter and went in to change throttle-related settings from "Gradual; controlled by time" to "Direct, controlled by threshold". It made ALL the difference in the world and resolved the problem (thought a small population of folks have not seen the same results). I am wondering if BMW did something similar to the software that would explain how some people with the same model are seeing the issue and others are not. I know these are 2 different cars, but the behavior (and the fact that the fix is via software) is similar.

Tons of threads about the VW issue all over the place, but here's one:
https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/tao...-stop.9480986/
      11-06-2022, 03:38 PM   #33
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i X M Sport

VW is basically the same as Audi software.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket455 View Post
OP: I think I know exactly what you mean. It's almost as if the pedal is not connected to the throttle at all for that first 1" of travel, like a dead pedal. Once engagement occurs, it can sometime lead to an explosive burst of motion that should have started the instant you began depressing the pedal in the first place. This behavior makes driving behavior thoroughly unpredictable and downright dangerous at time.

I have a '22 M550i, and though I have not experienced this issue on this car, I purchased a 2022 VW Taos SE (FWD) a few months ago, and that car is *notorious* for this problem to the point where driving is actually dangerous. After doing some research, I got the Carista OBD2 adapter and went in to change throttle-related settings from "Gradual; controlled by time" to "Direct, controlled by threshold". It made ALL the difference in the world and resolved the problem (thought a small population of folks have not seen the same results). I am wondering if BMW did something similar to the software that would explain how some people with the same model are seeing the issue and others are not. I know these are 2 different cars, but the behavior (and the fact that the fix is via software) is similar.

Tons of threads about the VW issue all over the place, but here's one:
https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/tao...-stop.9480986/
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 06:04 AM   #34
Chappers 71
Major General
Rep
Drives: Beige G31 40ix m sport

Garage List
Quote:
Something is still off on my end. Tried to accelerate from a stop to pass into another lane - bogged down for 1 sec. Was in adaptive mode. also happened in comfort. next test is Sport or sport +. I haven't tried launch control - modthispny confirmed software update fixed this. This is great, but I def. won't use LC just for a jack rabbit start every time. I'm wondering if I'm expecting too much and comparing to my brother's Tesla 3 with instant torque?
Is it only from a standing start that you experience this 'delay'? If so do you have the handbrake set to auto?
E34 3.6 M5. E34 525i sport.
VW Jetta Mk2 GTI 16v. 1679cc 1967 resto-cal beetle
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2022, 09:38 PM   #35
F1A
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappers 71 View Post
Quote:
Something is still off on my end. Tried to accelerate from a stop to pass into another lane - bogged down for 1 sec. Was in adaptive mode. also happened in comfort. next test is Sport or sport +. I haven't tried launch control - modthispny confirmed software update fixed this. This is great, but I def. won't use LC just for a jack rabbit start every time. I'm wondering if I'm expecting too much and comparing to my brother's Tesla 3 with instant torque?
Is it only from a standing start that you experience this 'delay'? If so do you have the handbrake set to auto?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappers 71 View Post
Quote:
Yes, standing start only, and without auto-hold. I had regional technical rep and senior dealer mechanic troubleshoot for a day. Conclusion was that 'car performs as designed'. Rep has an X7 with same engine and same behaviour. I've driven a '20 750 without this delay. I've learned to do a soft throttle tip-in without pressing pedal all the way down as per typical habit. It helps but is not the same as using LC (which I can't use everytime I need to jump at a green light). It's the only major disappointment I have with this car. I have read a mix of this behaviour - majority = no delay.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2022, 11:57 AM   #36
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

people complaining of lag - are you driving with "engine" setting in eco comfort sport or sport plus?

the "engine" setting i how you set for gas pedal responsiveness

thanks

try sport individual - engine sport plus, the rest how you want it. transmission affects downshift - don't expect it to downshift in a hurry if you're in comfort transmission for example.

Last edited by G30M; 12-03-2022 at 12:12 PM..
Appreciate 1
NGT25613.00
      12-27-2022, 06:57 PM   #37
F1A
Canada
Rep

Hello G99M5. I have tried in comfort and sport plus or individual. It always comes down to the throttle pressure. If I start with a soft press, then turbos will spool up and acceleration is decent. However, if I hammer the pedal down right away, then results are disappointing, IE feels like you lose a .5 sec.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2023, 05:35 PM   #38
Antec800
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i x drive

I have a 22 m550 the delay Is just the turbo lag, I can go wot at 3000rpm and full boost take a second to build until the car starts pulling
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2023, 12:09 PM   #39
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep

I have a M340i and have the same issue described. I have a 2007 Toyota V6 van and the thing shoots off like a rocket when you apply gas.
am not looking forward to this issue when my M550i arrives *sigh.

Reason is the Toyota has a wire that connects gas pedal to the throttle body.
BMW has a computer that tells the throttle body what to do and the computer does not listen to your right foot. Very annoying.

Can you all try this and see if it works - apparently it resets the computer to give max response until it relearns and gives you less over time

Quote:
Something to the effect of press start with foot OFF brake, then press gas pedal to the floor past kick down and hold for 30 seconds.

I've performed this reset and it seems to help for a while until relearning it's sluggish ways due to stop and go city driving.
also something like this to trick the computer by sending high voltages (like it would normally by pressing the gas pedal a lot more - can be fine tuned to desired response) https://www.sprintboostersales.com/S...r_V3--SPRBM014
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2023, 12:20 PM   #40
adhrp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550i (G30)/2021 X3 (G02)

Quote:
Originally Posted by G99M5 View Post
I have a M340i and have the same issue described. I have a 2007 Toyota V6 van and the thing shoots off like a rocket when you apply gas.
am not looking forward to this issue when my M550i arrives *sigh.

Reason is the Toyota has a wire that connects gas pedal to the throttle body.
BMW has a computer that tells the throttle body what to do and the computer does not listen to your right foot. Very annoying.

Can you all try this and see if it works - apparently it resets the computer to give max response until it relearns and gives you less over time

also something like this to trick the computer by sending high voltages (like it would normally by pressing the gas pedal a lot more - can be fine tuned to desired response) https://www.sprintboostersales.com/S...r_V3--SPRBM014
I thought the reason was turbo vs naturally aspirated. My 3.5L V6 Toyota Highlander used to respond immediately, however the transmission and low-end torque left a lot to be desired so my 328i was much quicker despite turbo lag and lower hp.

Sold/Retired: 2012 328i (F30)
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2023, 02:40 PM   #41
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep

well if the pedal reset trick works, and the voltage hack works, it's not the turbo lag but the drive by wire system
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2023, 11:59 PM   #42
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep

hi throttle people, does anyone have this issue? https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1994864

Hi this thing has less than 2000 miles - in comfort and sport mode, the computer suffers from throttle "surges"

for example, if you put it in cruise control, the car accelerates by itself and cuts off, holds speed and then surges rhythmically. not as noticable as the next example:

another time you can feel these surges is say you put it in 2nd or 3rd gear, drive it to 4000 rpm (could be 5000, 6000, it's the same principle) and let go of the throttle, it will rhythmically add throttle as you decelerate, the car with surge a for half - 1 second then continue to decelerate, and so on.

sport plus it is not as bad, but i think it's still there hiding the background.

what could be the issue?
i don't suppose this is normal. doesn't happen with my 340i.

it's not the transmission i don't think. pretty sure it's computer adding throttle.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2023, 01:47 AM   #43
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep

ok i did the reset throttle body/pedal trick and it's not there anymore. fingers crossed ...
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2023, 09:26 AM   #44
gatordog72
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5

Dragging up an old thread as I am new to the G30 M550i (2021 model) that I purchased about 2 months ago.

So I am familiar with the tip-in delay on BMWs as I have experienced this on my old 2013 X5-50. But, the delay seems even worse on this M550. At first, I thought it was just in 1st gear, and I bought a pedal box hoping that would fix the problem. I guess I started paying more attention after that, and I now have determined the worst delay comes in 2nd gear, and only from a standing start. If you are slowing to a stop and you either are still barely rolling or have just come to a complete stop and press the accelerator, you stay in 2nd gear unless you had manually kicked down into 1st. In this situation when starting in 2nd gear, the delay seems really prolonged and matches what the OP is stating. This is with Sport+ mode. In reading threads, it seems regular Sport mode seems to have less of a delay, but I haven't tried it enough to make a determination yet.

First gear take off / tip-in in does not seem to be a problem at all, no delay at all it seems. This could be the pedal box, not sure, but seems not to be influenced by it as I can turn it off and I haven't noticed any difference.

I've tried turning on/off DSC, traction control in all their different modes, and I haven't seen it make any change in the delay in 2nd gear.

I haven't tried the throttle reset trick noted above: I am afraid it might mess up my 1st gear response since that seems fine, and the OP/most of this thread seems to be talking about this delay in 1st gear take off. I can manually shift down to 1st and force all starts in 1st gear vs 2nd gear, and there is no delay, but it just seems unnecessary step to have to check or think about every time i'm coming to a stop. Or I guess I can just live with it. It's just aggravating.

Anyone seen this effect when starting in 2nd gear? It seems odd that there's not an issue in 1st gear, but there is in 2nd gear.

Two other things I have noticed and wonder if anyone has also noticed:

Shifts from 2nd gear to 3rd gear the transmission seems to be considerably less smooth than in any other gear changes? It's like it double clutches (I don't mean like DCT - I have no idea of what those feel like). Best I can describe it is you can feel the box shift to third, but then you feel it engage after a little delay. It makes the car sort of bobble as you accelerate changing from 2nd to 3rd. I don't feel this in any other gear change, and all the others are so super smooth - The ZF 8 box is usually excellent. My X5 uses the same ZF8 (although I'm sure it's not hte same since that was from 8 years before the one in the 2021 M550), and it's super smooth in all gear changes. Anyone else notice this?

The other thing I encountered is when you are coming to a stop, the car downshifts as expected. But, it seems it really jerks the car a bit as you brake as it sequentially shifts down through the gears. It's not overly offensive, but it's definitely not smooth engaging and my wife has commented that it's kinda jerky. We defintely haven't noticed this in our other BMWs through the years, but this is the newest model we have experience with. Is this normal and just something to adjust to?

Last edited by gatordog72; 08-23-2023 at 09:36 AM..
Appreciate 0