BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Is 5 series touring worth it over the saloon?

08-22-2023, 04:23 AM   #1
sorin1987
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 520i G31 MSport

Is 5 series touring worth it over the saloon?

I currently have an E90 saloon that might be on its way out and was thinking to move to a bigger car now that we have kids and I looked at the X3 initially but in the UK petrol engine options are limited and don't want the plug in hybrid headache (the car would be second hand 2-3-4 year old). Then I moved my attention to the 5 series and was considering the touring version for the extra boot space but my wife doesn't like it she says all touring cars look like hearses. I was wondering if the boot space is actually that much bigger than the regular saloon since it's only 30L. I know it's the square shape that gives the extra practicality but I also heard that suspensions might also be different on the touring one to deal with the potential extra weight on the rear wheels and was wondering if it drives differently because of that?

We rely on the car quite heavily for shopping, nursery drop-offs, weekend trips, maybe a road trip a year and always drive to the airport when going on holiday. So far the E90 is just about enough for a large luggage and my son's pushchair but that's about all it can fit. With 2 kids I am thinking might need a little bit of extra space but since the 5 series is a bigger car anyway maybe I can get away with the saloon.

Would it be ridiculous to go to the dealer and test the car and filling the boot with a luggage and pushchair to see how they fit and how much space it's left?

Last edited by sorin1987; 08-22-2023 at 09:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2023, 05:54 AM   #2
BMW012
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M550i CBM/Ivory

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorin1987 View Post
I currently have an E90 saloon that might be on its way out and was thinking to move to a bigger car now that we have kids and I looked at the X3 initially but in the UK petrol engine options are limited and don't want the plug in hybrid headache (the care would be second hand 2-3-4 year old). Then I moved my attention to the 5 series and was considering the touring version for the extra boot space but my wife doesn't like it she says all touring cars look like hearses. I was wondering if the boot space is actually that much bigger than the regular saloon since it's only 30L. I know it's the square shape that gives the extra practicality but I also heard that suspensions might also be different on the touring one to deal with the potential extra weight on the rear wheels and was wondering if it drives differently because of that?

We rely on the car quite heavily for shopping, nursery drop-offs, weekend trips, maybe a road trip a year and always drive to the airport when going on holiday. So far the E90 is just about enough for a large luggage and my son's pushchair but that's about all it can fit. With 2 kids I am thinking might need a little bit of space but since the 5 series is a bigger car anyway maybe I can get away with the saloon.

Would it be ridiculous to go to the dealer and test the car and filling the boot with a luggage and pushchair to see how they fit and how much space it's left?
perfectly fine. thats what the dealership is for.
Appreciate 1
Joe-BMW337337.50
      08-22-2023, 06:39 AM   #3
ppointer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3M, '12 335is, '22 540i

Garage List
2012 BMW 335i  [5.25]
2012 BMW 335is  [5.00]
2008 Infiniti QX56  [0.00]
1967 Chevrolet Corv ...  [10.00]
2001 M Roadster  [10.00]
2022 BMW 540i  [0.75]
2009 528i  [9.50]
I love the practicality of the e91 over the e92 and e90. Behind the wheel it is tough to tell the difference. Not driven a 5-series wagon yet, but also own a ‘22 540i. In a second I would own a g31 or g61 if they were available over here.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2023, 06:41 AM   #4
jimscamp
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW G31 540i xDrive

I have a 2020 G01 X3 30d and a 2020 G31 540i Touring.

We have a 5 year old and a 18 month old and can say, for us, that the G31 is the better family car with it having more usable space.

In the G01, with the rear facing car seats, I have to move my seat into an unnatural position (6ft on the dot), sitting a little too far forward for my comfort levels and a little too upright.

In the G31, I can sit in my perfect driving position, nicely reclined and there's still a few inches between the child seat and me. There's also a little more width either side of the children.

With the boot, the X3 boot in a fair bit shorter, meaning the pushchair has to go in sideways as occludes a lot of usable space and means we have to play Tetris with the rest of the boot cargo.

The G31 can contain the pushchair lengthways and then has room for umbrellas, scooters, spare clothes and a box divider on the right hand side that all the shopping goes into.

With the X3 the parcel shelf is manual and a little higher - however, people don't realise that the Touring parcel shelf is automatic and fabric and comes down from above, covering everything up, flexing over taller items where you'd normally have to remove the X3's shelf and still maintains the privacy.

Also, the Touring has the dog/luggage net, so on occasions where you really need to stack the boot high, the children are protected from things falling through when braking.

The Touring boot window that opens is also something that gets used all the time, for quickly dumping shopping in the boot, grabbing bags you've forgotten, or the odd toy or umbrella.

The advantages the X3 has are it's a little taller, but it's not like your suddenly seeing over the top of vans and other SUVs - and whilst it can help when putting the baby seat in and out, it's easier for the kids to get themselves in the 5 series themselves when a little older.

You also can't defy physics, the X3 handles well, but you can feel the height in comparison the the 5 Series.

I had a G30 before the G31 and can't say I notice a difference between the two for handling or suspension, other than the rear stays level when lugging weights or work equipment, the G30 would sag slightly.

So basically, if I could only have one as the family car, it'd be the Touring and my wife (who favours driving the X3, only because of the perceived height difference in a stupid WAG way) also agrees that if we had to sell one of the cars, it'd be the X3 as the Touring is the better "do it all" car.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by jimscamp; 08-22-2023 at 06:48 AM.. Reason: Typos and clarifications
Appreciate 1
Alscoob2119.00
      08-22-2023, 08:33 AM   #5
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G31 540i M Sport Edition

Agree with all the comments above ^^^^ but will also add..

I've had 2 F31 tourers and was looking for something a little bigger for more space in the 'boot' area, potentially for wheelchair for father in law, so looked at the X3. Found that in reality it wasn't that much bigger than the F31, OK it was taller in the back but overall we wouldn't benefit.

Time moved on and wheelchair no longer needed but started to look to change car for something bigger than the 3 and considering the thoughts with the X3 looked at the X5 (F15) as an option, and very nearly bought one, instead bought a G31 540i LCi.

Great car. Easy to drive, lots of nice touches as mentioned in the post above and you sit in the seat not on it looking down as you sort of do in the X5 / 3

Boot space is great, I've never needed to put the rear seats down yet to fit our stuff in even when we have been away for a long weekend or weekly holiday.

Would I have a saloon... Nope. I think the touring versions have far more practicality for when space is needed, they drive just like a saloon but with air rear suspension on tourers it sits level even when loaded, noise level is no more and it feels far more spacious inside with that long flatish roof.

I'm sure you'll find all that out when you visit the dealer with your saloon all packed up with kit
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2023, 09:41 AM   #6
sorin1987
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 520i G31 MSport

Thanks all for your replies. Definitely very helpful. Since I will be driving the car then I will probably go for the touring version as I am the one who has to "play" the luggage tetris when needed.
Quote:
I'm sure you'll find all that out when you visit the dealer with your saloon all packed up with kit
If I decide to go for the touring version I wouldn't need to test it for space as it clearly has enough

I will start reading a bit about engines. Ideally I would go for the 540i but I have a 6 cylinders 3.0L in my current E90 and had some issues with it, hopefully the newer models have better reliability. And living just outside London it will have to be petrol as it's risky having a diesel...who knows what new ULEZ nonsense will they come up with in the next 2-3 years.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2023, 09:43 AM   #7
Chappers 71
Major General
Rep
Drives: Beige G31 40ix m sport

Garage List
Agree with the above posts.
I will have owned my G31 a year at the end of this month, it’s a great car, more practical & better looking than the saloon or any of the x cars.

Ride is great, comfortable & handles very nicely indeed.
If you do get one I would recommend you get one with adaptive suspension (option S223), although with S223 the car sits approximately 10mm higher than those without.

Yes the G31 does have different rear suspension, it has air suspension.

You can’t go wrong with a 540i, anything else would just be boring
Mine is a 2018, had done 48,300 miles when I bought it, have done approximately 4,000 miles in it, I know that’s not a lot but touch wood it’s not had any issues, other than the pan roof needing a reset & the telematics battery being replaced.

If you fancy taking a trip to sunny Kent I’d be happy for you to have a look around mine & take you out in it.
E34 3.6 M5. E34 525i sport.
VW Jetta Mk2 GTI 16v. 1679cc 1967 resto-cal beetle

Last edited by Chappers 71; 08-22-2023 at 09:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2023, 11:27 PM   #8
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorin1987 View Post
Thanks all for your replies. Definitely very helpful. Since I will be driving the car then I will probably go for the touring version as I am the one who has to "play" the luggage tetris when needed.

If I decide to go for the touring version I wouldn't need to test it for space as it clearly has enough

I will start reading a bit about engines. Ideally I would go for the 540i but I have a 6 cylinders 3.0L in my current E90 and had some issues with it, hopefully the newer models have better reliability. And living just outside London it will have to be petrol as it's risky having a diesel...who knows what new ULEZ nonsense will they come up with in the next 2-3 years.
wife won't be happy!
Appreciate 0