BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Eps problem

08-26-2023, 05:04 AM   #1
Zable
Registered
Rep
Drives: G31 530d x drive 2018

Eps problem

Didn't know where to put the question so doing a double post. Mods can kindly remove the inappropriate on. Anyways!

Just took a chance and bought a 530d x drive 2018 with a wierd problem with the steering for an good price.

When you turn standstill or low speed you hear a very loud grinding/hissing noise.
When you drive you can feel that the steering is "lumpy" and hard. No active light for the eps on dash.
Yesterday though when i drove far, it threw an light on me and said you can continue driving. As soon as that light came on the steering became loose and the steering wheel started to vibrate like hell. You could physicly see it vibrating. Restarted the car and it was back as before with no light.

I havent diagnosed it yet but im 100% sure it feels like the steering rack or the motor that sits on it.

I have read alot on buying used eps and replace it or just the motor itself. But im unsure if its possibly to code it? Some say you need an fsc code and that the donor has to be older than yours. I also saw some say that there is not a problem coding it if its electrical power steering, that i only need an fsc code if its servotronic.

So can someone kindly settle me with the right information on the g30 body so i know what im about to buy and troubleshoot 🤷
Appreciate 0