BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis Slotted rotors for M Sport?

02-09-2024, 05:44 PM   #1
tjbuggy2b
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i xDrive M Sport

Slotted rotors for M Sport?

Anyone know of anyplace selling slotted rotors for the M sport brakes (374X36)? I've been searching for the last hour and can't find anything. I must be missing something.

I need brakes due to pulsation and rotor grooves. I'd like to upgrade to M Sport brakes in the process. While I'm doing that, I want to install slotted rotors to help extricate brake dust a little better to hopefully stave off deposits and pulsations in the future.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2024, 06:06 PM   #2
PetieD 7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 540i xDrive M Sport

I bought these aftermarket slotted rotors (front/rear) from Brakenetic over 2 years ago. If interested, you would need to call them directly and speak to them about your requirements along with any questions you may have.

https://brakenetic.com/
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2024, 06:12 PM   #3
tjbuggy2b
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Their website is "under construction." Hoping they aren't defunct. I sent them email, though.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2024, 06:21 PM   #4
PetieD 7
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbuggy2b View Post
Their website is "under construction." Hoping they aren't defunct. I sent them email, though.
You can call them directly. Really friendly folks who will take the time to talk to you about anything related to brake. Well, this was based on my own experience dealing with them over the phone!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2024, 06:21 PM   #5
tjbuggy2b
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetieD 7 View Post
You can call them directly. Really friendly folks who will take the time to talk to you about anything related to brake. Well, this was based on my own experience dealing with them over the phone!
They replied almost immediately!

Can you tell me how they are constructed? Are they aluminum hats? How long have you had them? Have you had any issues with the hats rusting (if they aren't aluminum)? Do you live where they salt the road during snow?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2024, 06:39 PM   #6
PetieD 7
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbuggy2b View Post
Can you tell me how they are constructed? Are they aluminum hats? How long have you had them? Have you had any issues with the hats rusting (if they aren't aluminum)? Do you live where they salt the road during snow?
I know they source their rotors either from Germany or Brazil…but, my rotors were made in Germany. I purchased these aftermarket rotors mainly for “aesthetic” as I have aftermarket wheels!…And, I do not use my vehicle during the winter months, therefore I am unable to provide you with an accurate answer. Although, I did ceramic coat the entire rotors to prevent surface rust.

Unfortunately, you would need to speak to them about these rotor constructions, and if the rotor hats are made from aluminum.
Appreciate 1
tjbuggy2b183.00
      02-09-2024, 06:47 PM   #7
tjbuggy2b
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thank you! I did speak to them. They do an electro-coat on them but he recommended spraying the hats with high temp paint. He also said they are trying to figure out what "UV coating" Brembo is using, because they seem to be having a lot of success with that.
Appreciate 1
PetieD 7169.50
      02-10-2024, 01:01 PM   #8
buddyboy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 540ix

i had slotted rotors once and never again, they are very loud under braking, i've seen a few options on ebay but they are usually a single piece rotor, most of the g30 rotor options are 2 piece with the aluminum hat, which are lighter and better at dissipating heat
      02-10-2024, 07:38 PM   #9
M550bernina
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M550

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
i had slotted rotors once and never again, they are very loud under braking, i've seen a few options on ebay but they are usually a single piece rotor, most of the g30 rotor options are 2 piece with the aluminum hat, which are lighter and better at dissipating heat
I thought is was only dimpled rotors that we want to stay away from?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2024, 09:59 PM   #10
PetieD 7
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
I haven’t encountered issue of loudness except for the break-in period which had noise from the front rotors/pads while driving…that went away when I hit just little bit over 500 miles. Overall, I am satisfied with my slotted rotors’ performance.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2024, 09:46 AM   #11
tjbuggy2b
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I've had slotted rotors before, just basic spiral cut, I think like 10 slots or so, with yellow stuff pads. Never had any noise issues on that 335i.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 08:26 AM   #12
tjbuggy2b
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetieD 7 View Post
I haven’t encountered issue of loudness except for the break-in period which had noise from the front rotors/pads while driving…that went away when I hit just little bit over 500 miles. Overall, I am satisfied with my slotted rotors’ performance.
I've had my M Sport brakes on for about 10 days, now. Brakenetic RS slotted rotors with Power Stop Euro Next Gen Carbon Ceramic pads. Braking efficiency is noticeably better but the pedal feel isn't as firm as I was expecting. That may be normal but I may do a second brake bleed, anyway.

I'm getting a mild dragging pad or maybe heat shield contact sound from (I think) the right rear corner but it's not consistent. Some drives it's there, some it's not. I do get a low speed squeal from the fronts, mostly when coming to a stop. They make a pretty good racket when I reverse out of a parking spot.

The fronts have already worn off the cross hatching from when the rotors were machined but the rears seem to have barely touched the rotors. I did a few low speed e-brake activations to make sure they were actually working, and they are. Though, I don't know how much they are meant to grab. With a hand brake, I'd be able to lock up the rears but the electronic e-brake seems to work more like a moderate pedal push.

Can anyone confirm how the e-brake works on theirs? Say, 10MPH, hold the switch up. (If you don't hold it, it will automatically release after a half second, or so.) Is it a hard stop, a moderate stop, or do the tires lock up?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 03:38 PM   #13
tjbuggy2b
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Never followed up on this. I found that I apparently didn't get one of the bleeder screws on the front calipers tight enough. It had a small leak but apparently that was enough to firm up the pedal and now I'm very happy with the braking performance.

Brakes still make a little noise, badly in reverse, but it's only a problem when I'm parallel parking at a restaurant and I'm mentally telling the bystanders, "I promise my brakes aren't bad. This is just what they do. Please don't judge me."
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 08:50 AM   #14
tjbuggy2b
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Well, apparently it is possible to install the pad retainer clips on the front calipers upside down. I had my car into the shop for pothole repairs. He was bothered by the noise, and did a pro bono looksee at them. Turns out, I installed the front clips upside down. I didn't even know that was possible. He said, the way they are shaped, he could easily understand how it happened.

Anyway, as of right now, all the noises are gone!

I may have to give up on DIYing my cars. I seem to be making some pretty low level mistakes, lately. lol
Appreciate 1