BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Intermittent Lane Departure warning

03-03-2019, 12:03 PM   #1
Warp Ten
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540xi

Intermittent Lane Departure warning

Just back from a 3,500 mile driving trip in the new 540xi from Chicago to Florida visiting friends on the west and east coasts, then up to see friends in SC and NC before heading home. Getting used to the electronic features and aids. (I am not an early adopter of things). I use cruise control a lot and conclude that I like the adaptive cruise control that spaces the car from the one in front and slows it to match speed when needed. I am getting used to the lane departure wheel shaking and the blind spot detector. Overall I think I like all three. The only issue that came up on the trip is that the lane change warning indicator would turn off occasionally on a random basis and the lane change wheel shaker would cease to function. Seemed like the blind spot detector would also turn off but once it worked when the lane change indicator was off. Puzzling. Almost seems like a loose power connector somewhere. Since it is intermittent and random I am sure the dealer will find nothing wrong but I will try anyway. Most to the trip it worked fine. Anyone else experience this problem with the lane departure warning system? --Bob
      03-03-2019, 01:10 PM   #2
nlaak
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M5

I do not yet have a BMW so I'm unfamiliar with their lane departure warning system specifically, but the systems I've used in other cars have been camera based and if the camera/software can't see or find the lane markers/lines I've had them show in the dash that there was no lane and consequently stop vibrating to indicate if you're out of the lane. I've seen it happen with one side or the other and both sides. I've seen it happen in snowy weather when the lane isn't clearly visible. I've (very) rarely seen it when the lane makers need to be repainted.

I've also had lesser 'problems' when a new lane opens up and the car can get confused that the lane is widening (before the new line appears) and complain because you followed say the right line and it expected you to follow the left line. And most annoyingly in Michigan we have a lot of stretches to go around people turning left on two lane roads and my cars have always complained when I go through those if I don't signal.

Lane departure systems (IMO) are not anywhere near perfect, though they are nice to have. I also agree adaptive cruise is the best feature for new electronic features.
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50
      03-03-2019, 01:23 PM   #3
MXNSITH
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5C, 2019 i3 REX, 2010 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp Ten View Post
Just back from a 3,500 mile driving trip in the new 540xi from Chicago to Florida visiting friends on the west and east coasts, then up to see friends in SC and NC before heading home. Getting used to the electronic features and aids. (I am not an early adopter of things). I use cruise control a lot and conclude that I like the adaptive cruise control that spaces the car from the one in front and slows it to match speed when needed. I am getting used to the lane departure wheel shaking and the blind spot detector. Overall I think I like all three. The only issue that came up on the trip is that the lane change warning indicator would turn off occasionally on a random basis and the lane change wheel shaker would cease to function. Seemed like the blind spot detector would also turn off but once it worked when the lane change indicator was off. Puzzling. Almost seems like a loose power connector somewhere. Since it is intermittent and random I am sure the dealer will find nothing wrong but I will try anyway. Most to the trip it worked fine. Anyone else experience this problem with the lane departure warning system? --Bob
Pay particular attention and note when this occurs. It happens on occasion as I pass exits or when the lane markers on the road are less visible.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 01:43 PM   #4
saporitj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540ix M Sport

I agree that the new safety features are great. My previous Benz was too old to have been and now I don't think I could do without them.
I would have to say the backup camera and sensors are THE most important things to me. I mistakenly left of parking package so no 3D cameras for me 🤬. Next would be the adaptive speed control ASC. I love the adaptive feature. Wish I could turn on the distance control alone just to be safe. That is how useful it is.
My side collision warnings (blind spot) have never failed like you mentioned. There is a sensitivity setting in IDrive for them. I actually set it to sensitize and it was too much. Warning about cars way behind me so turn back to medium. This is separate from lane departure because it relies on radar sensors in the bumpers instead of cameras.
The lane departure warning and lane control are really nice but not as dependable as others. The lane warning uses the camera and only needs ONE lane marking to function. This is definitely more consistent. The lane control needs two lanes to function or tries to follow the car in front at lower speeds. This is definitely more intermittent function. A lot can effect it seeing the lanes. Make sure windshield is clean in front of cameras. Weather and markings can make it hard to function. I love it but don't trust it 100% but find it incredibly useful when it works.
      03-03-2019, 02:04 PM   #5
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Did your speed drop below 43 mph as that's the threshold for when this feature activates.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 02:06 PM   #6
Warp Ten
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540xi

Yes there is no question that the lane departure warning is not useful in bad conditions like snow. Confuses it. On this trip intermittent operation of it occurred on clear dry days on the freeway usually about 70-80 mph. I am pretty certain that I was not below the 40 mph threshold when it occurred. Car was clean. Worked fine most of the time but would sometimes just turn off by itself. The light would go off on the dash display and the shaker wouldn't work if I intentionally went over a line to test it. Then it came back on. Tried to see if going over bumps would affect it but they did not. I would say it was working 98-99% of the time. Just went on on and off occasionally. A mystery at this point. I have my settings to be minimally intrusive also. --Bob

Last edited by Warp Ten; 03-06-2019 at 09:47 AM..
Appreciate 0